Last autumn if I had any occasion to make a cake, it was an apple & cider one using my own recipe. The apple season being over, I duly moved on to other things. Having recently come across an apple & cider recipe on Anyone for Seconds and having been given a bag of apples this weekend, I was all set to make an apple & cider cake. At the last minute, I realised I had forgotten to get any cider and with time fast running out and some cream cheese in the fridge, I ended up making something far more decadent – Nigella’s Cream Cheese Brownies.
- Melted 125g unsalted butter in a pan with 125g 85% chocolate and 200g dark brown sugar.
- Sieved 80g flour (wholemeal spelt), made a well in the centre and poured in the chocolate mixture.
- Mixed this up together with 2 duck eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Spooned half of this into a buttered 20x25cm tin.
- Covered this with slices of cream cheese – 200g in total.
- Topped this with remaining brownie mixture.
- Baked in preheated oven at 180C (gas 4) for 17 mins.
- Left to cool then cut into 16 smallish slices.