Miniature Chocolate Dundee Cakes

Gifts, Small Cakes | 13th December 2011 | By

Getting a Christmas hamper of goodies together has been my task this month. Among the components I wanted to include were some miniature Christmas cakes. On browsing the wonderful blog Lavender and Lovage one day, I was inspired by Karen’s recipe for Wee Whisky Doused Hogmanay Dundee Cakes. Well mine are even weeer. I used a different method and some different ingredients – like chocolate 😉

This is what I did:

• Placed 300g of mixed fruit into a bowl – mostly vine, but a few chopped dates, pineapple, papaya and cranberries.
  • Added grated zest and juice of 1 very juicy orange.
  • Stirred in 50ml of Scotch Whisky and two tsp of orange syrup (left over from making candied peel).
  • Covered and placed on top of our storage heater for a couple of hours (a low oven would be fine or could just be left somewhere overnight).
  • Creamed 100g unsalted butter with 100g light brown raw cane sugar.
  • Beat in 2 small eggs.
  • Sieved in 150g self-raising flour, 50g wholemeal spelt, 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Stirred in 25g ground almonds.
  • Added 50g chopped 70% G&B dark chocolate and the fruit mixture.
  • Mixed well and spooned into two 6 hole muffin moulds.
  • Pressed 6 whole blanched almonds onto each one.
  • Baked for 35 minutes at 150C.
  • Left to cool for half an hour then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Wrapped them in greaseproof paper and packed them away in a tin.

I haven’t tried them yet, but am expecting good things of them. I have bought some nice Christmassy ribbon to border the edges when the time comes for presenting them – see if you can guess which one it will be?

I am submitting these to English Mum’s Big Christmas Bakeoff.

For more ideas of edible gifts check out Vanessa’s Lets Make Christmas.

1. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

13th December 2011 at 7:36 am

They are so adorable. I love how small they are. So thats what three per person?

2. Katie

13th December 2011 at 8:49 am

These look adorable and perfect for going into a hamper. I love how chocolate even finds its way into your Christmas cakes 🙂
    I’ve made mini ones in the past in baked bean cans, mini things are always so cute

3. A Trifle Rushed

13th December 2011 at 6:08 pm

Lovely, I made mini ones as well, like Katie in baked bin tins. Don’t they make wonderful presents.

4. JavelinWarrior

13th December 2011 at 7:09 pm

I love wee things and these wee cakes look fantastic. The blanched almonds are seem to have a hypnotic effect on my stomach 😉

5. Kate@whatkatebaked

13th December 2011 at 9:20 pm

Such a lovely, lovely gift to receive…especially in a gorgeous hamper full of Chocolate Log Blog goodies!!

6. CaySera

13th December 2011 at 9:31 pm

first time here……that looks yummy ….thanks for sharing. very interesting blog.

7. Baking Addict

13th December 2011 at 9:45 pm

These look amazing. I love the idea of a homemade hamper. Think I’ll make that next year as have run out of time this year. I have the same white ribbon with the sparkly snowflakes!! I’ve got the red, gold and green one too! I seem to have a whole boxful of ribbons 🙂

13th December 2011 at 9:58 pm

Wow these look delicious and with chocolate! Just one thing…I’m going to be a wee bit pedantic but ‘whiskey’ is Irish and ‘whisky’ is how we Scots spell the water of life. Okay will stop now and imagine the smell of your gorgeous cakies.

9. laura_howtocook

13th December 2011 at 10:25 pm

I would be over the moon to get hamper full of your delicious treats and these little cakes are quite something. I did like the snowflake ribbon too 🙂 x

10. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons

14th December 2011 at 10:06 am

Love these so much as wee versions and gift wrapped is just the perfect Christmas treat. Beauties! Have a wonderful Christmas time.

11. Karen S Booth

14th December 2011 at 6:57 pm

OH wonderful! My mum, whose recipe the original one was, will be chuffed to wee whisky doused cakes! LOVELY cakes Choclette and I am so pleased that my post gave you inspiration….I love them! They will make great gifts.
    Karen
    XX

12. thelittleloaf

14th December 2011 at 9:47 pm

You are so restrained – I can’t believe you haven’t tried them yet! I’d be very happy to receive one of these as a gift – they’re gorgeous.

13. Solange

15th December 2011 at 5:26 pm

Oh lovely, give me anything minature these days and I will love it:)

18th December 2011 at 8:18 pm

Dom – three per person per hour perhaps?

Katie – thank you. Like the idea of baked bean tins, except lining them must be a bit fiddly. Agree, mini things are very cute.

Jude – I’m impressed with all these blue peter baking tins. Trouble with using muffin moulds is that the sides weren’t straight so it was difficult getting the ribbon around.

JW – he he 😉

Kate – thank you. Three recipients got hampers of Choc Log Blog goodies on Friday – I was quite envious!

CaySera – thank you for your kind comments and for following.

Baking Addict – hang on to those ribbons for next year’s hampers and make sure you put some of your hot choc pops in there 😉

Janice – what an ignoramous am I? Sorry about that, I changed it as soon as you pointed it out.

Laura – thank you. The snowflake ribbon looked really good when wrapped around the cakes.

Jill – thank you. I’m sure I will and hope the same is true for you.

Karen – three of my hamper gifts were inspired by your blog posts. You have such lovely ideas.

Little Loaf – thank you. Am not so much restrained as still haven’t worked out who I’m giving what to!

Solange – thank you. Mini sized are especially fun.

19th December 2011 at 1:13 pm

these sound great – having just tried chopped chocolate in fruit cake – I am sold on the ideas and love the look of these little individual ones

22nd December 2011 at 5:19 pm

Johanna – annoyingly, I haven’t tried one of these, but I’ve had very good feedback.