Miso Marinated Tofu with My Pasta’s Last Stand – Vegan & Gluten Free
An easy to make anytime pasta with a vegetable packed tomato sauce, using whatever vegetables you have to hand. Jazzed up here with some miso marinated tofu to make a completely vegan meal. You could of course use grated cheese instead.
Whenever I need to get supper on and I haven’t thought about what we’re going to eat, I inevitably turn to my Pasta’s Last Stand. It’s always delicious, I don’t need any special ingredients, but best of all, I don’t have to think about it. Normally I’d scatter a bit of cheese over the top, but as it’s Veganuary this month, I thought I’d ring the changes and scatter some miso marinated tofu over it instead.
As regular readers will know, I’m not a vegan. However I do cook and eat a lot of vegan food. During Veganuary, I try to eat a bit more than normal – it seems a good thing to do after all the chocolate and rich eating at Christmas. Veganuary is a charity that aims to inspire people to eat only plant-based foods for the month of January. For many it’s the start of a vegan journey.
Miso Marinated Tofu
Oh my. I could eat a plateful of this miso marinated tofu every day. It’s absolutely scrumptious. Long gone are the days when I thought tofu was just too boring for words. It’s true, if given a choice, I’d take tempeh, but tofu is just brilliant for marinading and soaking up those flavours. In this case you can marinade it whilst preparing Pasta’s Last Stand, though an even longer soak would be better.
You wouldn’t think the Asian flavours of the miso marinated tofu would go so well with an Italian style pasta, but they really do. It was such a success, CT has declared himself keen on having the tofu as a topping instead of cheese from now on in. I’m not sure that’s going to happen, but it’s a great way to jazz up my Pasta’s Last Stand.
Pasta’s Last Stand
This is a great standby. I nearly always have tins of tomatoes to hand along with fresh onions & garlic. A raid on the rack normally yields some other vegetables. I just use what I’ve got. If I don’t have any fresh veg, then frozen will do nicely. Courgettes, broccoli stems, celery, carrots, parsnips, squash, sweetcorn and peas all work well. This time I went with celery, carrots & red pepper as that’s what I had to hand.
This time the pasta I used was Suma’s fusilli brown rice pasta. We were impressed. It was hard to tell the difference between that and standard wheat pasta. The fusilli were slightly smaller, tighter and springier, which we really liked. It’s also gluten free. You should be able to find the pasta in most independent whole food stores. Suma is a wholesale cooperative selling vegetarian wholefoods, though you can order direct. They have their own line on most products and the quality is high. My latest Suma order also included some tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, barley miso and tofu – all organic of course.
Other Easy Vegan Meals You Might Like
- Asparagus risotto with peas and wild garlic pesto via Tin and Thyme
- Bangors & borlotti beans via The Veg Space
- Beetroot & lentil vegan pie via Only Crumbs Remain
- Black bean curry bowls via Tin and Thyme
- Carrot falafel with tahini sauce via Tin and Thyme
- Nut roast via Fab Food 4 All
- Pulled jackfruit in barbecue sauce via Tin and Thyme
- Roasted squash, kale and grapefruit salad via The Peachicks Bakery
- Simple laksa noodle soup with tofu, red peppers and green cabbage via Tin and Thyme
- Spicy split moong dhal via Joshi Cooks
- Sudanese sweet potato, spinach and peanut stew via Sneaky Veg
- Vegan egg fried rice via Thinly Spread
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this miso marinated tofu with my easy anyday pasta, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Miso Marinated Tofu and Gluten-Free Pasta. PIN IT.
Miso Marinated Tofu & Pasta’s Last Stand – The Recipe
Miso Marinated Tofu & Pasta's Last Stand
Miso Marinated Tofu
- 2 large spring onions - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- thumb sized piece of ginger - finely chopped
- 2 heaped tsp barley miso
- juice of ½ orange
- 450 g tofu - cut into 2cm squares
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Pasta's Last Stand
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 large carrots - diced
- 2 sticks of celery - diced
- 1 large red pepper - diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs or a few sprigs of fresh herbs thyme, basil, oregano, marjoram, parsley
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce optional, but recommended
- 320 g fusilli rice pasta or pasta of your choice
Miso Marinated Tofu
- Place all of the marinated tofu ingredients except the tofu and olive oil into a bowl and mix everything together. Add the tofu pieces and stir gently until everything is covered. Marinade overnight of possible, but at least ½ an hour. Stir occasionally so that the tofu can absorb as much as the marinade as possible.
- Five minutes before the pasta is ready to be served, fry the tofu pieces in the olive oil over a medium heat until they are nicely burnished.
Pasta's Last Stand
- Fry the onions, celery, carrots, pepper and garlic in a large pan over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and clamp a lid on the pan so that the vegetables can soften. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the pasta. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or longer if you prefer. The longer the sauce simmers, the better it is.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Serve the pasta in large bowls. Ladle on some sauce, then scatter over some miso marinated tofu.
This miso marinaded tofu with Pasta’s Last Stand is my twelfth recipe for the Suma Blogger’s Network.
I’m sharing this with Cook Once Eat Twice over at Searching for Spice. I always make enough Pasta’s Last Stand for two nights, so all I have to do the next day is cook some pasta.
Also sharing with Everyday Healthy Recipes for #CookBlogShare.
And finally my miso marinated tofu and Pasta’s Last Stand go to Le Coin de Miel for #FreeFromFridays.
Some of the ingredients for this recipe were provided by Suma. I was not expected to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.