Miso Marinated Tofu with My Pasta’s Last Stand – Vegan & Gluten Free

Miso Marinated Tofu with Pasta's Last Stand

Gluten Free, Pasta, Vegan | 7th January 2018 | By

Whenever I need to get supper on and I haven’t thought about what we’re going to eat, I inevitably turn to my Pasta’s Last Stand. It’s always delicious, I don’t need any special ingredients, but best of all, I don’t have to think about it. Normally I’d scatter a bit of cheese over the top, but as it’s Veganuary this month, I thought I’d ring the changes and scatter some miso marinated tofu over it instead.

Veganuary

As regular readers will know, I’m not a vegan. However I do cook and eat a lot of vegan food. During Veganuary, I try to eat a bit more than normal – it seems a good thing to do after all the chocolate and rich eating at Christmas. Veganuary is a charity that aims to inspire people to eat only plant-based foods for the month of January. For many it’s the start of a vegan journey.

Miso Marinated Tofu

Miso Marinated Tofu

Oh my. I could eat a plateful of this miso marinated tofu every day. It’s absolutely scrumptious. Long gone are the days when I thought tofu was just too boring for words. It’s true, if given a choice, I’d take tempeh, but tofu is just brilliant for marinading and soaking up those flavours. In this case you can marinade it whilst preparing Pasta’s Last Stand, though an even longer soak would be better.

Miso Marinated Tofu

You wouldn’t think the Asian flavours of the miso marinated tofu would go so well with an Italian style pasta, but they really do. It was such a success, CT has declared himself keen on having the tofu as a topping instead of cheese from now on in. I’m not sure that’s going to happen, but it’s a great way to jazz up my Pasta’s Last Stand.

Pasta’s Last Stand

Pasta's Last Stand

This is a great standby. I nearly always have tins of tomatoes to hand along with fresh onions & garlic. A raid on the rack normally yields some other vegetables. I just use what I’ve got. If I don’t have any fresh veg, then frozen will do nicely. Courgettes, broccoli stems, celery, carrots, parsnips, squash, sweetcorn and peas all work well. This time I went with celery, carrots & red pepper as that’s what I had to hand.

Suma Fusilli Brown Rice Pasta

This time the pasta I used was Suma’s fusilli brown rice pasta. We were impressed. It was hard to tell the difference between that and standard wheat pasta. The fusilli were slightly smaller, tighter and springier, which we really liked. It’s also gluten free. You should be able to find the pasta in most independent whole food stores. Suma is a wholesale cooperative selling vegetarian wholefoods, though you can order direct. They have their own line on most products and the quality is high.  My latest Suma order also included some tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, barley miso and tofu – all organic of course.

Miso Marinated Tofu & Pasta’s Last Stand – The Recipe

5 from 2 votes
Miso Marinated Tofu with Pasta's Last Stand
Miso Marinated Tofu & Pasta's Last Stand
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
30 mins
Total Time
45 mins

An easy to make anytime pasta with a vegetable packed tomato sauce, using whatever vegetables you have to hand. Jazzed up here with some miso marinated tofu to make a completely vegan meal. You could of course use grated cheese instead.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Italian, Japanese
Keywords: easy, mid-week meal, miso, pasta, smoked tofu, vegan, vegetarian
Servings: 4 people
Miso Marinated Tofu
  • 2 large spring onions - sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
  • thumb sized piece of ginger - finely chopped
  • 2 heaped tsp barley miso
  • juice of ½ orange
  • 450 g tofu - cut into 2cm squares
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Pasta's Last Stand
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion - finely chopped
  • 2 large carrots - diced
  • 2 sticks of celery - diced
  • 1 large red pepper - diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp dried Italian herbs or a few sprigs of fresh herbs thyme, basil, oregano, marjoram, parsley
  • 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
  • 2 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp tamari
  • 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce optional, but recommended
  • 320 g fusilli rice pasta or pasta of your choice
Miso Marinated Tofu
  1. Place all of the marinated tofu ingredients except the tofu and olive oil into a bowl and mix everything together. Add the tofu pieces and stir gently until everything is covered. Marinade overnight of possible, but at least ½ an hour. Stir occasionally so that the tofu can absorb as much as the marinade as possible.
  2. Five minutes before the pasta is ready to be served, fry the tofu pieces in the olive oil over a medium heat until they are nicely burnished.
Pasta's Last Stand
  1. Fry the onions, celery, carrots, pepper and garlic in a large pan over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add the water and clamp a lid on the pan so that the vegetables can soften. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add all the remaining ingredients except the pasta. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or longer if you prefer. The longer the sauce simmers, the better it is.
  4. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
  5. Serve the pasta in large bowls. Ladle on some sauce, then scatter over some miso marinated tofu.
Recipe Notes

Any leftover marinade can be added to the pasta sauce.

Suma Bloggers NetworkLink-ups

This miso marinaded tofu with Pasta’s Last Stand is my twelfth recipe for the Suma Blogger’s Network.

Cook Once Eat TwiceI’m sharing this with Cook Once Eat Twice over at Searching for Spice. I always make enough Pasta’s Last Stand for two nights, so all I have to do the next day is cook some pasta.

#CookBlogShareAlso sharing with Everyday Healthy Recipes for #CookBlogShare.

And finally my miso marinated tofu and Pasta’s Last Stand go to Le Coin de Miel for #FreeFromFridays.

Other easy vegan meals you might like to help you through Veganuary.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this miso marinate tofu with my easy anyday pasta, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Miso Marinated Tofu and Gluten-Free Pasta. PIN IT.

Miso Marinated Tofu Topping an Easy Anyway Pasta - vegan and gluten-free.

Some of the ingredients for this recipe were provided by Suma. I was not expected to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blythe and blogging.

1. Angie@Angie's Recipes

7th January 2018 at 3:49 pm

I too could eat those miso tofu daily! So yummy!

8th January 2018 at 10:05 am

Thanks Angie. The miso really is delicious, but then I love cheese too 😀

2. Mandy

7th January 2018 at 8:30 pm

This sounds amazing. I would never have thought to pair miso with a tomato sauce as you’ve done here but I can see how it would work. Thanks for linking to my peanut stew x

8th January 2018 at 10:04 am

Thanks Mandy. It’s a totally scrummy combination, though it does take a bit more effort than grating some cheese.

3. Monika Dabrowski

7th January 2018 at 10:44 pm

Such a creative idea to combine a bit of Italian with a bit of Japanese and make a fusion pasta dish! I really like the marinade for the tofu. Thank you for bringing your delicious dish to #CookBlogShare:)

8th January 2018 at 10:03 am

Thanks Monika. Sometimes mixing things up just seems the right thing to do.

4. Camilla Hawkins

7th January 2018 at 10:48 pm

This dish sounds fabulous with all those lovely flavours in there. I’ve never marinated tofu before so need to try this-)

8th January 2018 at 10:00 am

Marinating tofu makes it into something quite delicious Camilla. Do give it a try.

5. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

8th January 2018 at 11:42 am

That sounds like a great well-rounded weeknight dish!

8th January 2018 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Rebecca. It’s the perfect filling meal which can be made when inspiration has failed.

6. Nico @ yumsome

8th January 2018 at 12:16 pm

TBH, I’d be more than happy just to eat your miso tofu on its own – it looks and sounds so scrummy! The pasta sounds good too; I’ve never tried rice pasta before but I’ve had corn, and that’s quite good.

Will be sharing this on social media! xx

8th January 2018 at 2:13 pm

Thanks Nico. TBH, I had to try really hard not to eat the miso tofu all on it’s own 😉

I’ve had corn pasta too and you’re right, it’s not bad. But this pasta was much more like the real thing.

7. Corina Blum

8th January 2018 at 2:29 pm

This sounds like such a tasty dish! I really should try cooking with tofu again. Like you, I used to think it was really boring but I have made a few tasty dishes with it and I always love recipes that involve a marinade! Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

8th January 2018 at 8:31 pm

I don’t cook with it often enough either – but I’m getting better 😀

8. Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

8th January 2018 at 3:33 pm

I’m just the same Chocolette – if I’ve not had time to prep anything we will often have pasta with a tomato sauce and like you scatter some cheese over the top. We’ve never tried it topped with tofu marinated in miso but we’ll definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for the inspiration and also for linking to my Beetroot & lentil pie 🙂
    Angela x

8th January 2018 at 8:32 pm

My pleasure Angela. Pasta is such a great standby dish. We all need something simple to cook from time to time – quite often in my case 😉

9. Nicole

8th January 2018 at 7:00 pm

Pasta is always a great go-to meal. Loving the flavors in this one! It’s making my mouth water.

8th January 2018 at 8:33 pm

Yes, I think we’d be lost without pasta. It’s just so easy and so comforting.

10. Kate | The Veg Space

8th January 2018 at 8:59 pm

That looks delish – love the sound of Miso marinated Tofu. I’m loving all the alternative pastas coming onto the market at the moment – I tried some red lentil pasta the other day which was lovely, and rice flour pasta sounds really good too, and probably kinder on your gut than wheat. Lovely!

9th January 2018 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Kate. I haven’t tried red lentil pasta yet, but I’ve seen it and I’m keen to try.

11. helen @ family-friends-food.com

9th January 2018 at 10:54 am

That looks lovely – and I love the name! I have some miso lingering in the fridge so I’ll have to give this a whirl 🙂

9th January 2018 at 3:14 pm

Let me know what you think if you do try it Helen.

12. Chris @thinlyspread

9th January 2018 at 3:55 pm

Oh my, that looks good! I’m pretty sure both miso and tofu are addictive, I can’t get enough of them!

9th January 2018 at 4:52 pm

Haha, there are definitely worse things to get addicted to.

13. Dannii

9th January 2018 at 5:05 pm

One of my goals this year is to eat more tofu and find new ways to enjoy this. I can’t wait to try it – so simple too.

9th January 2018 at 7:23 pm

Tofu is rarely on my radar either, but it ought to be more so.

14. Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs

9th January 2018 at 5:24 pm

I’m always surprised at how many dishes my OH and I eat that are actually vegan as opposed to vegetarian. I would have thought that pasta would have been my downfall – it usually being made with eggs and all – but maybe going vegan wouldn’t be so hard! This looks delicious 🙂

9th January 2018 at 7:26 pm

I don’t think many of the dried pastas are made with eggs these days, though it’s always worth looking at the ingredients.

15. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

11th January 2018 at 9:16 pm

Pasta is definitely my go to meal! I love the idea of the miso and tofu, in fact I found a jar of miso in the cupboard! Delicious! x #CookOnceEatTwice

14th January 2018 at 5:34 pm

It’s always useful to have a jar of miso in the cupboard I find 😀