Air Fryer Carrot Falafel with Tahini Sauce

Air Fryer Carrot Falafels

Tasty and simple to make, these air fryer carrot falafel contain carrots for extra nutrition. They’re an inclusive meal as they’re both vegan and gluten free. Serve with tahini sauce, salad and flat bread for a delicious lunch or supper.

Never mind raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, falafel are definitely one of my favourite things. They transport me straight back to the bustling streets of Alexandria in Egypt. Every street corner had its own falafel vendor who sold them fresh and hot, stuffed into pitta bread and drizzled with tahini sauce. We used to have them for breakfast as a special treat. These air fryer carrot falafel may not be the authentic recipe, but they’re delicious and are a breeze to make.

Air Fryer Carrot Falafel with Tahini Sauce

The last time I posted a recipe for this Egyptian staple, it was for these chocolate falafel, which formed part of a six course chocolate dinner. They were a roaring success, but as I’ve never managed to get my hands on chocolate almond butter again, I’ve not repeated my triumph. I could, of course, make my own nut butter and now I’ve thought of it, I surely will. Meanwhile these air fryer carrot falafel work a treat. They are vegan and gluten free and make for a tasty brunch or lunch for four. Double the quantity and you have an easy evening meal.

Air Dryer Carrot Falafel

The Best Falafel

The best falafels, according to Claudia Roden, come from Alexandria. Who am I to argue with that esteemed connoisseur of all dishes Middle Eastern? They are certainly the best I’ve ever eaten. They’re made with dried fava beans, otherwise known as broad beans, rather than the ubiquitous chickpeas. As a nod to these, I used fava bean flour to bind my falafel mixture together, though you could use gram flour (chickpea flour) instead.

Traditionally falafel are served with tahini sauce and salad, all nice and snug in a pitta bread. I didn’t have the requisite bread, so we ate our air fryer carrot falafel in a wrap, loaded with my latest favourite salad – Brussels sprouts. If you haven’t tried sprouts in a salad, they’re a revelation. I’ll be posting my recipe for Brussels sprout salad at a later date.

Carrot Falafels (pre-cooked)

Healthy Frying

I used my Optimum HealthyFry to cook these golden balls of goodness. It gave them the classic crisp on the outside, tender on the inside finish, but without having to either fry them in lots of fat or heat an expensive oven. I’ve been using this appliance a lot since I got it and it’s one of those gadgets that actually gets used on an almost daily basis. It’s very simple to work and easy to clean too. It also reduces cooking times and gives great results. I you haven’t tried air fryer falafels yet, I urge you to give them a go.

Air Fryer Carrot Falafel

My blender, the Optimum G2.3 platinum series induction blender, didn’t get forgotten. I used the little jug to mush the chickpeas, parsley and garlic and it did a grand job. Once again, it was very quick and easy.

Other Air Fryer Recipes You Might Like

Optimum HealthyFry

If you fancy creating some healthier ‘fried’ food meals, why not jumpstart into 2017 with the Optimum HealthyFry Rapid Air Fryer? Or if that doesn’t do it for you, Froothie has plenty of other appliances to make eating a healthier diet that bit easier. You can keep up with the Jumpstart 2017 campaign by following me and other Froothie Ambassadors via the hashtag #Jumpstart17 on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

As a Froothie Ambassador, I can offer Tin and Thyme readers free P&P on any Froothie appliance. Add 2483 free ambassador delivery to the comment box when ordering to get free postage and packing. Delivery will be credited back onto your card. The Optimum HealthyFry is currently on offer at £149.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you try my recipe for air fryer carrot falafel, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Pin this air fryer carrot falafel for later.

Air Fryer Carrot Falafel

Air Fryer Carrot Falafel – The Recipe

Air Dryer Carrot Falafel
Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Carrot Falafel

Tasty and simple to make, these falafel contain carrots for extra nutrition. They are vegan and gluten free. Serve with tahini sauce, salad and flat bread.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Lunch, Main Course
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keyword: air fryer, carrots, falafel, healthy, quick
Servings: 4 people

• 1 rounded tbsp fava bean flour
  • ½ tsp ground coriander
  • ½ tsp turmeric

Tahini Sauce

• 1 heaped tbsp tahini
  • ½ lemon - juice
  • ½ tsp tamari or other high quality gluten free soya sauce
  • ½ tsp hot chilli sauce
  • hot water

Falafel

• Dry fry the cumin in a frying pan for a few minutes, then remove.
  • Fry the onion and carrot in the olive oil over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes until softened.
  • Grind the chickpeas up with the lemon juice, tamari, garlic, tahini and parsley. I used the Optimum G2.3 which worked a treat.
  • Turn out into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
  • Leave in a cool place to firm up for half an hour or so, then roll into ping pong size balls.
  • Heat the air fryer as per instructions, then place on chip setting and air fry for 15 mins at 180℃. Shake the basket half way through cooking. Alternatively bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 180℃.

Tahini Sauce

• Stir the tahini, lemon juice, tamari and chilli sauce together, then whisk in enough hot water to make a smooth sauce that's just the right consistency for drizzling.
  • Drizzle over the hot falafel and serve in pitta bread along with some salad.

Notes

Makes 16 ping pong sized balls. Serves four as a light lunch or 2 as a main meal.
Double the quantities to serve more.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.1g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7.9g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 2.3g | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.3mg

Linkies

I’m sending these air fryer carrot falafel off to Jac at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays.

The air fryer falafel also go to Corina at Searching for Spice for Cook Once Eat Twice. They will keep in the fridge for a few days and can also be frozen.

The post contains affiliate links. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging. Opinions are, as always, my own.

1. Camilla Hawkins

26th February 2017 at 3:51 pm

Just loving all the flavours packed into these lush looking Falafels! Thanks for including my recipe:-)

26th February 2017 at 4:03 pm

My pleasure Camilla. It’s really useful to get recipe ideas as air frying is still a new concept to me.

2. Munchies and Munchkins

26th February 2017 at 3:53 pm

Ooh these sound delicious! I’ve never made falafels although I do love them.

26th February 2017 at 4:02 pm

They are really very easy, especially if you use a tin of chickpeas like I did and cook them in an air fryer. Definitely worth a try.

3. Angie@Angie's Recipes

26th February 2017 at 4:06 pm

One of my favourites! Love that you used air fryer to make these..a guilty free treat!

26th February 2017 at 8:46 pm

Yes, if we’d only used some sort of wholemeal bread, this would have been a super healthy meal.

4. lisa

26th February 2017 at 4:10 pm

I LOVE the look of this!! That wrap too… yum!!

26th February 2017 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Lisa. They were the best wraps I’ve had in a long time 🙂

5. Emily | Oat&Sesame

26th February 2017 at 4:43 pm

I love falafel! Carrot will be a great addition to the norm! And tahini dressing is always amazing! Can’t wait to try yours!

26th February 2017 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Emily. You can’t really taste the carrot, but it’s fun to get a bit of extra veg in.

26th February 2017 at 7:24 pm

These look delicious and I’m definitely adding them to my list as I always buy my falafel for speed.

26th February 2017 at 8:43 pm

Definitely worth making a batch up and keeping in the fridge / freezer. They don’t take long, especially with Froothie gadgets 😉

7. Elinor Hill aka Beachhutcook

26th February 2017 at 8:35 pm

How do you stop yourself from eating them all!

26th February 2017 at 8:42 pm

Well we did eat them all. There were two of us and it was our main meal 😉

8. Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs

26th February 2017 at 9:32 pm

These look fab Choclette! We often make falafel wraps for lunches and dinners but we’ve never actually tried making them ourselves. Who knew it was so easy – and not at all unhealthy! Great recipe 🙂

27th February 2017 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Emma. Making the real thing with dried fava beans or chickpeas and then deep frying is a bit more complicated, but these are super easy to put together and can be shallow fried and baked in the oven or just baked in the oven.

9. Pretty

27th February 2017 at 7:56 am

I love falafel too, the addition of carrot is clever! I need to get myself a air fryer!

27th February 2017 at 2:44 pm

The air fryer was a completely new concept to me, but now I’ve got one, I’m finding I’m using it more and more.

10. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

27th February 2017 at 11:18 am

I love falafel and of course carrots are one of my favorite veggies!

27th February 2017 at 2:43 pm

Carrots are wonderful. The colour goes particularly well with these falafel.

11. Chris @thinlyspread

27th February 2017 at 12:39 pm

They look delicious but I am TOTALLY distracted by chocolate falafel, GENIUS! Make that almond nut butter immediately!

27th February 2017 at 2:42 pm

Those felafel were a bit of a hit. I really should try making them again.

12. Dannii

27th February 2017 at 12:39 pm

I am obsessed with my air fryer, but I never would have thought to do falafel in it. Tahini sauce is a must with falafel!

27th February 2017 at 2:40 pm

I’m glad we’re in agreement 🙂 The falafel worked brilliantly in the HealthyFry.

13. Nico @ yumsome

27th February 2017 at 2:27 pm

Oh gosh, you’ve hit my weak spot! I also tend to have flaffs in wraps – mostly because we don’t see pitas here, and because I always think about making my own when it’s a bit late. But I always have wraps on hand!

I don’t have an air fryer but I’m guessing that if I brushed these with oil, I could bake them in the oven? Oh, see what I did there? I said I’d bake something. Baking – me! LOLOL!

27th February 2017 at 2:38 pm

Excellent, glad to have found a way to get you to do some baking 😉 When I’ve made falafel before, I’ve shallow fried for a couple of minutes and then baked, but I expect coating in oil would work just as well.

14. Corina

28th February 2017 at 8:58 pm

These sound gorgeous and I love how they have that slightly cracked look on the outside – It really makes them look tasty! Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

1st March 2017 at 8:11 am

Thanks Corina. Thanks for liking the cracks 😉 It is indicative of their crunchy exterior, which has to be a good thing 🙂

15. Eb Gargano

28th February 2017 at 10:15 pm

Oooh – yes please Choclette!! I LOVE falafel and these ones look especially good 🙂 Eb x

1st March 2017 at 8:09 am

Thanks Eb. Homemade falafel are infinitely better than the reheat at home ones you can buy.

16. Elizabeth

1st March 2017 at 9:58 am

These look so lovely! Love the flavours you’ve used. This new air fryer sounds like a really handy kitchen appliance! Thanks for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge! 🙂

1st March 2017 at 4:20 pm

I’m totally in love with the HealthyFry. Just wish I had a bigger kitchen to put it in 😉

17. Jan Bennett

2nd March 2017 at 6:12 am

Love the flavours and such a pretty picture. Pinned for later 🙂

2nd March 2017 at 10:32 am

Thank Jan. I really should make falafel more often and now it’s so much easier with the HealthyFry I probably will.

18. Kate - gluten free alchemist

3rd March 2017 at 10:15 pm

Ahhhh Falafels….. they take me back to Egypt too….. one of my favourite places! I have visited 3 times and seen much of the country, but strangely never reached Alexandria. I met my husband on one of my visits, so it is quite possible that falafels may have been a first shared meal with him (although I only remember ice cream!!!!!) xx

4th March 2017 at 8:29 pm

Ooh how exciting Kate. I’m so glad you told me that. No wonder Egypt is a special place for you too. I managed to see quite a bit of it when I was living there, but never enough!

19. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

16th March 2017 at 1:48 pm

Looks like a great way to use up leftover carrots. I never know what to do with them!

16th March 2017 at 6:20 pm

I know what yo mean, carrots do have a tendency to mount up. I tend to bung carrots in things like tomato sauce or smoothies

20. jenny

24th June 2018 at 12:11 am

This falafel looks so tasty! I really need to try this recipe.

24th June 2018 at 4:13 pm

It’s delicious Jenny and so easy if you have an air fryer.