Lemon & Ginger Mincemeat – a Spicy Festive Treat
Warming and refreshing, this homemade lemon & ginger mincemeat is easy to make and can be used in many different ways. Pot it into pretty jars to make a nice festive gift.
I’ve been making mincemeat for several years now. Once you’ve made your own it’s hard to go back to shop bought. But ding dong merrily on high, it’s fun to ring the changes by creating variations on a theme. This year I’ve opted for something slightly different.
Lemon & Ginger Mincemeat
Super easy to make, it’s just a case of gathering, weighing and then mixing the ingredients together. The longer you can leave it before eating the better, but it works pretty well as instant mincemeat if you’re desperate, like I frequently am. Only hours after stirring this batch together, I was making chocolate mincemeat flapjacks with it. Alternatively, pot it into pretty jars and this lemon & ginger mincemeat makes a very nice stand alone gift; it also does very well as part of a Christmas food hamper.
My mincemeat always has to contain chocolate. It started when I was blogging for Chocolate Log Blog when I made my first batch. It’s so good, I’ve continued with that particular ingredient ever since.
I’ve used whisky, rum, brandy and Amaretto in the past. They all work very well. This time I fancied something both warming and refreshing, so lemon & ginger mincemeat it was. I’m a bit dubious about vegetarian suet, so sometimes I add it, sometimes I use butter instead and sometimes I just leave it out. This time I’ve included it, but you can omit it if you have similar concerns.
Before giving you the recipe for my lemon & ginger mincemeat, I’d like to say thank you to all my readers for visiting Tin and Thyme, reading my posts and making my recipes. All your interaction is hugely appreciated. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas with lots of chocolate and time to enjoy with family and friends.
Other Mincemeat Recipes You Might Like
- Beetroot & hazelnut mincemeat via The Veg Space
- Boozy gin mincemeat via Foodie Quine
- Chilli chocolate mincemeat via Tin and Thyme
- Homemade mincemeat via The Crazy Kitchen
- Kiddush wine mincemeat via Family, Friends, Food
- Slow cooker mincemeat with ginger via Farmersgirl Kitchen
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this mincemeat recipe, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Lemon & Ginger Mincemeat. PIN IT.
Lemon & Ginger Mincemeat The Recipe
Lemon & Ginger Mincemeat
- 150 g dried figs - chopped
- 150 g mixed raisins sultanas & currents
- 75 g dried fruit of your choice - I used pineapple & jackfruit this year
- 100 g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100 g chopped blanched almonds
- 150 g 70% dark chocolate - chopped
- 80 g vegetarian suet
- 1 large cooking apple - peeled cored and diced
- 1 organic lemon - zest and juice
- 10 tbsp ginger wine
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Place all the ingredients into a large bowl, give a good stir and cover.
- Leave for as long as you can, stirring once a day. I usually do mine for five days.
- If not using immediately, pot into sterilised jars and cover with waxed discs and sterilised lids. The mincemeat should keep well for a year.
This recipe for lemon & ginger mincemeat with the all essential chocolate is my entry into this month’s #WeShouldCocoa. There’s still time to join in the chocolate fun.
I’m also sharing it with Recipes Made Easy for #CookBlogShare.