Triple Orange Chocolate Cake – We Should Cocoa 16
When I received a pair of glamourous little white chocolate shoes, I knew immediately they would have to adorn a cake. And adorn the cake that I made for last week’s tea party they did.
Given the theme of this month’s We Should Cocoa, that cake had to be an orange one. But as it was for WSC, it couldn’t just be any old orange cake, no, it had to be a bit more than that, so it became a tripe orange cake. I had a jar of bitter orange syrup left over from making candied orange peel, a bar of orange milk chocolate from Divine and some organic oranges, so with those all gathered up, I set to.
This is how I made:
Triple Orange Chocolate Cake
- Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 125g vanilla sugar (caster) and 100g molasses sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Grated in the zest of 1 organic orange and creamed some more.
- Beat in 4 medium eggs, alternating with some of the flour.
- Sieved in 200g flour (half wholemeal, half white & a tbsp mesquite powder), 25g cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda and a pinch of salt.
- Stirred this in with a large tbsp of Greek yogurt and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Spooned into two 22 cm sandwich moulds and baked at 180C for 23 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
|Or maybe there is|
- Left in moulds for 10 mins then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Melted 100g orange milk chocolate (Divine) in a bowl over hot water.
- Beat this into 200g cream cheese.
- Spread over one of the cooled cakes and placed the other on top.
- Warmed 50 ml of orange syrup (left over from making candied orange peel) in a small pan.
- Added 80g broken dark chocolate (60%) and 10g unsalted butter.
- Stirred until smooth.
- Allowed to cool a little, then poured over the cake.
- Placed a pair of shoes on top!
|The party’s over|