Almond Toffee Brownies

What could I do with the three egg yolks I had left over from making the Chocolate Meringue (over two months ago now – oops)? I needed to come up with something fast.  I had a quick hunt on the net for a suitable recipe, but other than mayonnaise which I wasn’t geared up to do, I couldn’t find anything.  Having read Liz’s post on George Cadbury, I had brownies on the brain and as I hadn’t yet tried making Chantal Coady’s brownie recipe from Real Chocolate, I thought I’d try that – or rather an adapted version of that.  I made 1/3 of the quantity and used the egg yolks rather than two whole eggs.  Following on from a comment by Hazel who says she always makes her brownies with ground almonds rather than flour (as it makes them gooier), I did just that and included a load extra as a substitute for the walnuts.

• Melted 120g unsalted butter with 45g cocoa
  • Whisked 3 eggs yolks with 225g vanilla sugar (substituted for 1 tsp vanilla extract) until pale and creamy.
  • Folded in 110g ground almonds (ground almonds coarsely in a coffee grinder to enable some texture and a bit of crunch).
  • Added cocoa mixture and poured into a greased 9″x7″ tin (this is the smallest I have so they did turn out to be quite thin).
  • Baked at 180C for 12 mins.

The result was a really delicious – and I mean really delicious – squidgy brownie.  It had a good nutty crunch and almost toffeeish texture; the latter partly due to the batter being spread quite thinly.  We very indulgently had some of these for dinner with more raspberries as an after meringue treat.  These have to be my favourite brownies ever.  Next time I have some spare egg yolks I shall be making these for sure.

Friday 26 November – I’ve just joined in the KitchenMaid’s Blog Hop – not at all sure what it is or how it works, but thought I’d give it a try.

Tags:

1. MoOn

25th November 2010 at 7:16 am

This is a recipe to keep, thanks for sharing it 🙂

2. manu

25th November 2010 at 8:30 am

OMG Sounds so good!

3. Jacqueline

25th November 2010 at 8:53 am

Those sound great Choclette, especially the texture you described, nom nom!

4. Gillian

25th November 2010 at 9:52 am

I usually steer clear of almonds but if you say these are toffee-ie then I will try. I suppose ground almonds will be fine too.

5. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

25th November 2010 at 10:24 am

They look lovely, I love using almond instead of flour as it really gives a deeper, marzipan quality to cakes… nice work my friend!

6. Suzler

25th November 2010 at 11:41 am

They sound lovely! I’ll have to give that a go.

25th November 2010 at 12:16 pm

brownies with a toffee flavour sound excellent – I am always up for a flourless cake with almonds so I imagine I would love these – great save on the egg yolks – they always bamboozle me!

25th November 2010 at 2:54 pm

Sigh! They look ever so tempting … and here is me trying to be a good girl in the lead up to Christmas (who am I kidding!!!) going to have to make these now ;0)

9. Sushma Mallya

25th November 2010 at 3:32 pm

looks so tempting & very delicious

10. Kath

25th November 2010 at 5:04 pm

It sounds like you may have found the holy grail of brownies. I am going to give them a try.

11. Joanna

25th November 2010 at 5:20 pm

Choclette, I was going to say you could make a challah type dough, that is best made with egg yolks and not whole egg… BUT… look at those brownies! Who wants to eat bread when they can have brownies like that…. they sound FAB!

12. Ananda Rajashekar

25th November 2010 at 6:34 pm

have been craving for brownies for while now…sounds easy and delicious slurp 🙂

13. Cakelaw

26th November 2010 at 5:35 am

This is a fab way to use up egg yolks – these brownies look super chocolatey and delicious.

14. cityhippyfarmgirl

26th November 2010 at 7:46 pm

They look delicious. I have been thinking about making some brownies as a thankyou for some people I have been working with. They might just be the ones to do it!

15. blackbookkitchendiaries

26th November 2010 at 8:37 pm

this is so pretty:) i love it. thanks for sharing.

16. nic@nipitinthebud

26th November 2010 at 9:19 pm

I’m in serious danger of becoming a chocolate monster if I keep reading your blog – especially the extra cheeky little temptations at the bottom of the post … ‘you might also like this’. Naughty Choclette {wink}

27th November 2010 at 6:30 pm

MoonSmile – thank you and you’re welcome.

Manu – they were really really good.

Jac – thanks, using almonds rather than flour often works well. Luckily it did this time too 🙂

Gillian – why do you steer clear of almonds?

Dom – thanks for your commendation. One of the better cakes I’ve made so far is a chocolate and almond one with no flour.

Suzler – nice to hear from you. Keep trying to find your blog but am not very often successful.

Johanna – the need to find gluten free recipes seems to be on the increase. I quite often use spelt which people who are intolerant to wheat can often manage.

Chele – you really have set yourself a challenge trying to be good before Christmas when there is so much baking and making of goodies to do.

Sushma – thank you

Kath – let me know what you think. Last week I made chestnut brownies and think they might be even better. It’s so hard to tell which is best, because I can’t try them all at the same time.

Joanna – I did make challah on my bread making course, but nice as it was, brownies are a lot easier – don’t say I never take hte easy way out!

Ananda – the great thing about brownies are that they are so quick and easy to make that if you fancy some you can whip them up in no time at all.

Cakelaw – meringue and brownies every time 🙂

CityHippy – sounds like a lovely thank you present.

BlackBook – thank you

Nic- thanks, had a good chuckle at that.

18. The KitchenMaid

27th November 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hurrah! Thanks for joining my little blog hop – you did good, as they say. The point of blog hops is that you can ‘hop’ from one to another – by posting the link to your blog on my post, you have hopefully got lots of new visitors (who will be swooning at this recipe and all your back catalogue!)

19. Catherine

28th November 2010 at 9:26 am

brownies for dinner – love it! Hee hee! Also loving the almond instead of flour, those brownies must taste divine!

20. oxslip

28th November 2010 at 11:07 am

I think this brownie illustrates that the best recipes are often the simplest, 5 amazing ingredients to make a tin of delicious chocolate sqidginess. Yum

21. Maggie

28th November 2010 at 2:57 pm

I love a squidgy brownie and they look extra special with raspberries to eat alongside them.

22. Anne

28th November 2010 at 5:42 pm

Am salivating over the description of these, they look so mmmmm too!

Very handy for using up leftover yolks too, always at a loss what to do with them!

23. Foodycat

28th November 2010 at 7:31 pm

Wow! These sound amazing! I love the idea of using ground almonds instead of flour. So there is nothing really to make them rise? No wonder they were so fudgy and gorgeous!

24. Brownieville Girl

28th November 2010 at 7:47 pm

I’m always looking for a good way to use up the yolks when I make pavlova – I’ve just found it!!!

Thank you so much for this recipe.

25. Baking Addict

28th November 2010 at 7:54 pm

I must must try this! I’ve been on a bit of a brownie binge lately.

29th November 2010 at 8:17 pm

KitchenMaid – up for trying most things once (well, on reflection, maybe some things)

Catherine – it was a good suggestion substituting almonds for the flour – would probably never have thought of that on my ownsome!

Oxslip – love the sound of squidginess.

Maggie – thanks. The season of raspberries already seems such a long time ago.

Anne – thank you. Yes, there is a limit to how much mayonnaise one wants to make.

Foodycat – Thank you. I think the secret might have been in grinding these myself so there was quite a bit of “texture” too.

BVG – I’m very glad to be able to return the complement. You’ve so many recipes I want to make.

Baking Addict – I find brownies very hard to wean myself off!

27. Liz

29th November 2010 at 9:00 pm

I do love a squidgy brownie…and these looked great!

28. Hazel

29th November 2010 at 11:29 pm

Ahh how lovely of you to mention me in your post! I feel very privileged 🙂

Once you go gooey with brownies… you never go back!

Yum yum YUM!

P.S. Sorry I have only just read this – I have been away for a few days!

30th November 2010 at 6:48 pm

Liz – thanks – I have you to thank for these (and Hazel)

Hazel – no need to apologise. Thanks for the tip

30. Sophie

5th December 2010 at 10:05 am

Your almond chocolate brownies look so heavely, my friend!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM,..tasty & fab food!

6th December 2010 at 7:24 pm

Sophie – thank you. I have another brownie post in the making now – possibly even better.

32. Northern Snippet

9th December 2010 at 4:29 pm

Just wanted to pop back and say I made these and they were delicious!

9th December 2010 at 6:52 pm

Northern Snippet – thanks for letting me know. It’s always good to hear that things have worked for others AND been liked 🙂

34. Herbert Appleby

19th February 2013 at 11:46 pm

I wish had some of these with my coffee every morning what a perfect combination of ingredients!!

35. Maya Russell

20th February 2013 at 6:47 am

An ingenious way to use up eggs. I’ll remember the recipe thanks!

36. olivia280177

16th March 2013 at 8:07 pm

I love almond flavour stuff, mmmmm Dime bars, these do look lush.

37. JaynesDen

25th April 2013 at 11:50 am

These look delicious. The perfect mid afternoon treat.

38. Maya Russell

27th July 2013 at 5:18 am

I wish I had one right now. They look nice.

39. Herbert Appleby

18th November 2013 at 10:31 pm

these look and sound wow!! shared here https://twitter.com/SmokinHerbz1/status/402564494255071232

40. Angie Hoggett

2nd December 2013 at 4:56 pm

wow these look delicious, thanks for the recipe!

41. Heather Haigh

6th March 2014 at 9:29 am

Always on the lookout for gf recipes – this sounds great – thanks.

42. Jo Hutchinson

3rd April 2014 at 9:03 am

a squidgy brownie is always a winner.

43. Irene Murdoch

30th April 2014 at 11:16 am

Sounds great, must try!

44. Jacqueline Roberts

28th May 2014 at 2:24 pm

Might have a go at that

45. Henk Kooiman

29th July 2015 at 7:36 am

Just had one for breakfast ! Should have waited, as cakes with almonds always get an even better taste after a day or two, but couldn’t resist. Very simple to make. I used a smaller tin, so these brownies were thicker than the ones on the photo. The taste is – nothing can go wrong with these ingredients put together – absolutely delicious. Consistency could be a bit more firm, so I would be inclined to add one or two tablespoons of corn flour. I used 2 whole eggs. What happened was that the cake was rising beautifully while baking and then collapsed in the middle when cooling down, which was to be expected of course. The sides are higher and have a different texture which in fact makes it more interesting to eat. Definitely a recipe to repeat. Interesting to try out different sizes of trays and see the effect on the texture. Maybe mine were also different because I misread the recipe and mixed the cocoa powder with the almonds instead of melting it together with the butter. Automatically I did what seemed more logical to me. Anyhow, this afternoon I will have another piece and probably have some whipped cream with it ….

30th July 2015 at 1:14 pm

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback Henk, it’s always good to hear. The trouble with baking is that there are so many variable – size of eggs, oven temperature, size of tin, how much stirring occurs and more. Did these firm up the next day. I usually find brownies to be quite soft after baking, but they firm up quite well by the next day.

46. Henk Kooiman

30th July 2015 at 12:23 pm

With the whipped cream it was like tasting a little peace of heaven (as I imagine it to be) !
    Now in the oven is a hazelnut-version of this recipe. I added 20 grams of corn flour for firmness and 30 grams of a strong hazelnut liqueur to enhance the taste. Sugar was 50/50 light brown sugar and organic crystallized sugar. I used the same 17 cm square baking tin. In my oven at 150 degrees Celsius, approx. 25 minutes.
    I will let you know about the result. Thanks again for the inspiration. I think it is a recipe that has a good effort-quality-ratio, if I can put it that way.

30th July 2015 at 1:19 pm

Haha, I like your idea of heaven. A hazelnut version sounds pretty heavenly to me. I think the hazelnut brownies I made were my favourite, though it’s hard to have a favourite. I like my brownies quite squidgy, so I’m not sure about adding cornflour, but I’m interest to hear what you think.

47. Henk Kooiman

31st July 2015 at 10:06 am

You are right about all those different variables playing a role in baking. This often makes it difficult to reach perfection, if you are aiming for it at all. In this case using some corn flour and a smaller tin may have played a vital role. But sometimes magic happens: the hazelnut-variety is in all aspects a 10 out of 10 ! This time at least. I’ll whip some cream this afternoon to have with my second slice. I’ll keep you posted on future attempts, which may turn out completely different. But, as I wrote before: nothing will ever go wrong with these ingredients put together.

48. Henk Kooiman

31st December 2016 at 10:24 am

Recently made this one again for a glutenfearing person. Of course I had a piece myself too and was again surprised by how good it tasted ! I stuck to the hazelnuts, liqueur and cornflour. For festive reasons I poured ganache on top of it after baking. Simple elegance was how it looked and it made many people happy.
    All the best for the New Year Choclette !
    We’re now getting ready to make ‘oliebollen’ for tonight, which is a tradition in The Netherlands (although more and more people are buying them instead of making them these days ….).

1st January 2017 at 9:13 pm

I really think I must try making these again Henk, you make them sound so good. What are oliebollen? They sound quite intriguing. I wish you a very Happy, Healthy & Fulfilling New Year and may your bakes just get better and better 🙂

49. Henk Kooiman

4th January 2017 at 12:05 pm

‘Oliebollen’ (lit. translation = oil-balls) are a big thing here in The Netherlands. Traditionally they are baked on the 31st of December. The batter is made with fresh yeast and quite loose (fluid) and filled with raisins and currants. The balls are shaped with two spoons and deepfried in sunflower oil. After cooling down they are dusted with powdered sugar. If you do it right, which is not the easiest thing, they are very delicious. My friend is an expert, so I’m safe. I only assist with making the batter 😉

5th January 2017 at 2:31 pm

Ooh, they do sound good Henk. Thanks for enlightening me. I never deep fry at home, but do enjoy the occasional deep fried treat.