Delivered from Deepest Dorset, it’s Crunch Time in Cornwall

Dorset Cereals chocolate granola

Food Reviews - general | 25th February 2010 | By

Having just received a couple of boxes of chocolate granola from Dorset Cereals, I thought I ought to blog about it. The timing is particularly apt as the chocolate in the granola is fairtrade and it just so happens it is Fairtrade Fortnight (22 Feb – 7 March).

I’m not normally a great fan of breakfast cereals, finding them too dry, too sweet or just generally unpalatable – to me breakfast cereal means porridge – in the winter at least. However, the packets looked rather tempting so CT and I sat down to breakfast with an unusual degree of anticipation. Chocolate for breakfast was a novel concept for us, but a welcome one. We were not disappointed.

The texture was good, not so hard that you felt a trip to the dentist might be needed, but sufficiently firm so as not to turn to a sludge at the bottom of the bowl. For our taste, this was just a little too sweet, but nevertheless it had a good rich chocolate flavour, which is just as well considering the chocolate they use is 70% cocoa. The taste of coconut came through quite strongly on the plain chocolate granola which we liked, but our favourite was the one with added macadamias – mostly because we love macadamias. If I was going to eat anything other than porridge or muesli with yogurt, then I would be more than happy with either of these latest chocolate offerings from Dorset Cereals.

PS Makes a great instant pudding – just add milk and if you’re feeling really naughty, some cream.

7 March 2010 Update

Now my blog has passed its first blogiversary, it seems like the right sort of time to run a competition. Interested? Here’s what to do:

Give me your most inspired ideas for a great chocolate themed breakfast via the comments link at the bottom of this post by 22:00 GMT on Saturday 20th March.

CT and myself will be judging the competition on originality but, more importantly how much we’d like to have your suggestions for our own breakfast. Our decision is final and no negotiation will be entered into.

The prize is a jute bag containing 3 boxes of each of the delicious chocolate granolas described in this previous post, along with a Dorset Cereals bowl to eat it in. I’m already feeling envious!

Apologies to overseas visitors but whilst I look forward to reading all comments and ideas, the prize is only available to those living in the UK.

1. Kath

25th February 2010 at 10:45 am

Mr OC is a big fan of Dorset cereals, we have a cupboard full. My plan this week is to make some of my own granola, to go with the fridge full of yoghurt. Hopefully I will find the time….

25th February 2010 at 12:45 pm

Kath, you still have yoghurt? It must have been one very large delivery! I’m still dithering – how much exactly do you get? Guess I can look forward to seeing many more yummy yogurt recipes to come on your blog then.

3. somesaycocoa

25th February 2010 at 1:34 pm

Oh oh I saw these in one of the gourmet shops in Dublin but I didn’t take much notice. In my defense this shop stocks Amedei chocolate. I might try the chocolate one thogh … maybe not for breakie but for a snack.

4. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

25th February 2010 at 4:58 pm

70% chocolate muesli – I’m impressed! Nothing like that here..

5. mangocheeks

25th February 2010 at 7:17 pm

I’ve seen these boxes about in some of the shops here, and thought the packaging was great, but was a little sceptic of the flavour of contents. You’ve persuaded me to give them a try.

6. nic @ nipitinthebud

25th February 2010 at 7:35 pm

wow, you lucky chief taster :o)
    I’ve been dreaming of winning free Dorset cereals through their little blog awards but a late entry from a very popular potter last week has put paid to that. oh to have more friends in times of breakfast need {grin}, hey ho obviously not meant to be.

25th February 2010 at 8:41 pm

Gillian – I can see there might not have been much of a dilemma if you were thinking chocolate. It does make a tasty snack though – we’ve just had some.

Celia – I didn’t realise we had anything like that here either until a few days ago.

MangoCheeks – we’ve just had some for pudding.

Nic, I tried to do my bit for you and voted for your blog. I was mightily impressed with how many votes you’d got having only ever hit the dizzy heights of 8 with mine. Don’t give up hope – you have a few days left yet.

8. Lucie

25th February 2010 at 9:29 pm

I had some too – Loved them! A nice treat

9. Lucie

25th February 2010 at 9:30 pm

I forgot to say thank you for voting for my blog on Dorset cereals site – I’ve voted for you too! 🙂

10. Kath

26th February 2010 at 4:09 pm

I think I had about 10 pots, you get whole fat, 2% fat, 0% fat, ones with honey – it’s a good stash. I’d go for it if I were you. It forces you to do some cooking! As if we need an excuse! You get a nice man from Ocado deliver it in the time slot you specify too.

11. Foodycat

26th February 2010 at 6:49 pm

I quite like the dorset cereals – I haven’t tried the chocolate ones but the berries & cherries is something like 60% fruit, very nice with some plain yoghurt.

12. Chou

26th February 2010 at 7:48 pm

I’ve seen these recently on my side of the pond, and wondered about them. I like the idea of an instant pudding of milk, cream and cereal. Very interesting indeed . . .

27th February 2010 at 2:37 pm

I love Dorset Cereal but I’ve never tried the chocolate one. Can’t wait to get my hands on a box – that way nobody can growl at me for having chocolate for breakfast ;0)

27th February 2010 at 4:53 pm

Thank you Lucie and thanks for voting for me – I wondered how come I’d managed to clock up a stunning 6 votes this month!

Thank you Kath, I’ve asked if I can have some now.

Foodycat – yes with plain yogurt is my preferred way to eat muesli and Dorset Cereals is one of the better brands I’ve found.

Chou – these two chocolate grenola work much better as a pudding than as a cereal we found, as they are quite sweet.

Chele – the chocolate one with macadamias was the best. Will shortly be running a competition with some of this as the prize, so watch this space!

15. JaynesDen

18th March 2013 at 1:19 pm

My favourite cereal/muesli range. A shame that is so expensive though!

16. Maggie Osborn

6th April 2013 at 10:28 am

Mmmm, looks tasty, must try some. 🙂

17. Maya Russell

10th May 2013 at 5:09 am

I really think Dorset Cereals are good if a little expensive. Thanks for the review. I like coconut & chocolate.