French toast for breakfast is a bit of a classic, but have you tried Nutella French toast yet? It’s an indulgent way to break your fast for sure, but it’s oh so satisfying. Why not treat yourself this weekend?
Whilst we were away in the New Forest last month, I was given the remainder of a bag of wholemeal sliced bread to take home. This is not something I would normally buy as I make my own bread, so I was keen to use it up quickly.
Nutella French Toast
I also had some ancient Nutella that has been sitting in a jar since I don’t know when and I thought it was time to remove it and make a bit more room in my overcrowded cupboard.
Why not kill two birds with one stone and use up those annoying leftovers? The solution: an indulgent breakfast of French toast. Not just any old pain perdu I might add, but Nutella French toast in sandwich form.
Jolly delicious it is too. Eggy bread and melting chocolate is something that’s now in my repertoire. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before. It’s even better with good bread and my homemade chocolate cashew nut spread. Or even my raw chocolate nut spread.
More Nutella Recipes You Might Like
Tea Time Treats, hosted by Karen of Lavender and Lovage and Janie over at The Hedge Combers, is all about toast this month, so my very moreish Nutella French Toast is winging its way in that direction.
As both the bread and Nutella needed using up and I can never bear to throw anything away unless it crawls out of the door of its own accord, I am also sending this off to the No Waste Food Challenge hosted over at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary.
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make my Nutella French toast, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. And do please rate the recipe. Have you any top tips? Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
If you’d like more breakfast recipes, follow the link and you’ll find I have quite a lot of them. All delicious, of course.
Nutella French Toast. PIN IT.
Nutella French Toast – The Recipe
Nutella French Toast
- 4 large slices wholemeal bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche (I used homemade)
- 1 drop cardamom extract (or spice of choice)
- 1 heaped tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Nutella
- knob of butter
- splash of rapeseed oil
- Spread the Nutella over two of the bread slices, then press the other slices on top to create a sandwich.
- Beat the eggs, crème fraîche, cardamom and sesame seeds together and pour into a flattish container.
- Dip the sandwiches into the mixture, first one side then the other.
- Add the butter and oil to a frying pan over a medium low heat.
- Place one sandwich into the pan and fry for 3 minutes or so until golden, then turn over and fry the other side. Repeat with the other sandwich and eat whilst hot.