Mascarpone & Apple Curd Tarts – We Should Cocoa 20

Not being especially thrilled by my chocolate and cheddar biscuits (cheecolates), I thought I’d have another attempt at a chocolate and cheese combination for this month’s We Should Cocoa. This time, I took a slightly safer route by going for a tart with a mascarpone and fruit curd filling. The curd in question was some apple and lemon curd I’d recently made to which I’ve become rather addicted – it is so delicious. The bit that was slightly risky was making pastry with an egg white. I’ve never done this before and nor had anyone else according to google. But I had an egg white lurking in the fridge from making the biscuits and I didn’t want it lurking there anymore. The chocolate addition, I took from my surprise cheesecake and made these three layered tarts.

This is what I did:

• Rubbed 40g unsalted butter into 100g flour (half wholemeal, half white) and 20g cardamom sugar (caster) until the mixture resembled bread crumbs.
  • Added the egg white and a splash of water and mixed with a knife.
  • Bought the mixture together to form a dough.
  • Being too impatient to hang around (to my cost), rolled the dough out thinly and cut circles just big enough to fill a 9 cm tart case.
  • Pressed the pastry circles into 4 buttered tart tins & trimmed the tops with a knife.
  • Reformed the remaining pastry into a ball and rolled into a circle.
  • Shaped into a freeform pastry case & placed on a baking tray with the other tarts.
  • Pricked the bottoms in several places with a fork.
  • Baked for 10 minutes at 180C then left to cool. Oh dear the pastry had shrunk hugely – my own fault for not putting it into the fridge before rolling probably.
  • Removed the pastry from the tins.
  • Melted 50g milk chocolate (Green&Blacks 37%) in a glass bowl over a pan of not quite simmering water.
  • Left to cool a little.
  • Spread a couple of teaspoons or so of chocolate around the bases of the tart cases.
  • Mixed 125g mascarpone cheese with 3 tbsp of lemon and apple curd.
  • Divided this mixture between the 5 tarts.
  • Sprinkled the tops with grated dark chocolate (Green&Blacks 70%).

The pastry, I was pleased to find, worked well – apart from the shrinkage). It was easy to roll, which always gets lots of points in my book and being rather plain, offset the richness of the filling nicely. I now have another use for left over egg whites. CT pronounced these delicious, but I was disappointed by the pastry shrinkage and didn’t think the pastry worked as well as the shortbread I’d used for the lime curd mascarpone tarts I made last year. Nor did they look as striking. However, I was quite happy to polish off my share of the tarts and they didn’t last long. The chocolate layer gave a pleasant surprise snap to the experience as our teeth sank in.

1. Lauralovescakes

22nd April 2012 at 7:46 am

These look amazingly tasty and I can imagine that apple and lemon curd tastes pretty good too! A very pretty tart! 🙂

22nd April 2012 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Laura – I’ve become rather a fan of fruit curd mixed with mascarpone adding chocolate makes for a perfect dessert.

22nd April 2012 at 9:42 am

mmm they sound yummy. I love tarts with chocolate spread in the base, it’s such a lovely surprise.

22nd April 2012 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Janice – the chocolate layer usually causes quite a sensation for those not expecting it.

22nd April 2012 at 10:38 am

Very pretty tarts – I am curious to see what the cross section looked like – I would prefer lots of the chocolate filling but it doesn’t sound like there was a lot!

22nd April 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Johanna. I was going to take a picture of the cross section, but the filling was quite soft and I couldn’t get a clean cut. It just looked too messy, hence no photo.

4. Caroline

22nd April 2012 at 2:16 pm

They look lovely. I like the sound of the lemon and apple curd – is it one you’ve made up or did you follow a recipe? I think I’ve seen a HFW recipe for it somewhere. Must investigate…

22nd April 2012 at 3:25 pm

Yes, I sort of followed Pam’s recipe in Preserves – River Cottage Handbook. The curd is delicious.

5. The Caked Crusader

22nd April 2012 at 4:24 pm

These look pretty as a picture – and I love the idea of apple curd

6. MissCakeBaker

22nd April 2012 at 5:40 pm

Very pretty and no doubt delicious!

22nd April 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thanks MCB, they were good, but would have been really good if the pastry hadn’t shrunk and I could have filled them more :-S

7. laura@howtocookgoodfood

22nd April 2012 at 8:45 pm

I do love the way you like to experiment with flavours but you also know what works well together like the choc & lemon truffles. The idea of mixing in a lovely curd with mascarpone is really clever as well as the hidden layer of chocolate, just remember to wait for your pastry and it will re-pay you!!

23rd April 2012 at 9:14 am

Ha ha, thanks Laura – patience is not my strong point.

8. Charlotte Pike

23rd April 2012 at 8:47 am

A fabulous idea, thank you for sharing. I do sometimes find I can get away with not chilling the pastry before blind baking if I use copious quantities of baking beans to weight it down. I must try the curd – my mother has Pam’s book of preserves and swears by it. Will have to see if she is willing to part with it for a few days…

23rd April 2012 at 9:13 am

Thanks Charlotte, this was shrinkage on a grand scale! Pam’s book is fabulous as is her one on Cakes. See if you can wrest it from your mother for a while 😉

9. Hannah

23rd April 2012 at 9:10 am

They look so pretty! Love the idea of suprise chocolate on the base of the tart too – perfect!

23rd April 2012 at 9:15 am

Thanks Hannah. The chocolate is the fun bit and adds to the overall yumminess, but they’d taste good without it too.

10. thelittleloaf

23rd April 2012 at 11:05 am

Your tarts look beautiful! And much more up my street than the chocolate cheese biscuits you made before…gorgeous post 🙂

24th April 2012 at 2:36 pm

Ha ha, you have to do something a little different from time to time and weirdly, they did appeal to some. Thank you for lovely comment.

11. Green Dragonette

23rd April 2012 at 11:09 am

Definitely must try some of your curds. I love the simple idea of the mixing them with some mascarpone and chocolate then for a quick pud!

24th April 2012 at 2:37 pm

You’re right you need nothing more than a good fruit curd and some mascarpone for a delicious & quick dessert – maybe a grating of chocolate on top! Would be good on scones too.

12. Phil in the Kitchen

23rd April 2012 at 9:18 pm

Mascarpone and curd makes a great combination and that addition of apple must be really interesting in the tarts. I’ve been playing around with lower-fat recipes lately using egg whites (including the chilled packs of egg white as an experiment). It’s interesting to see what works and what’s better left with whole eggs.

24th April 2012 at 2:40 pm

Well I’ve not heard of egg white packs until now Phil – can’t quite figure out how they would work. Egg white makes a really good binder for roast nuts with spices or herbs rather than using butter or oil.

13. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

23rd April 2012 at 9:33 pm

now we talking!… mascarpone is the way i’m going this month for WSC… love the stuff although i’ll doubt mine will be as divine as yours!

24th April 2012 at 2:43 pm

Dom, what rot you do talk – I bet yours will be even more divine. Mind you, it’s hard to go wrong with such a lovely substance as mascarpone 😉

15. Baking Addict

24th April 2012 at 7:57 pm

ooh these look delicious! Well done for persevering with your we should cocoa challenge – I am truly impressed. Also good to know there’s something else I can do with egg whites. Love the sound of apple and lemon curd… yum!

27th April 2012 at 7:25 pm

Ros, I had a 3rd one up my sleeve which would have been completely different, but I ran out of time :-S

16. yummychooeats.com

25th April 2012 at 2:26 pm

looks delicious! cant believe I missed this months we should cocoa challenge! Il be nice and refreshed for next month’s when the big 3-0 celebrations are over!

27th April 2012 at 7:27 pm

Hey congratulations – hope you celebrate well and happily. And of course look forward to your WSC entry next month 😉

17. Javelin Warrior

25th April 2012 at 9:13 pm

Mascarpone is always an excellent choice (for so MANY sweet and savory foods), so I’m a fan. Although, knowing your blog, I am the tiniest bit surprised that there wasn’t more chocolate involved 😉 These are lovely though and I’d happily help eat them!

27th April 2012 at 7:28 pm

JW – thanks. There’s more chocolate than you;d think hiding in there 😉

19. Kit @ i-lostinausten

29th April 2012 at 11:01 am

Yummy! Looks really tempting & lovely! Gosh! I guess I’m a bit to late for this event! Always thought the dateline was the on the 28th but not the 25th. 🙁

• Kit @ i-lostinausten

29th April 2012 at 11:03 am

I even have a recipe just for this challenge! I’ll catch up next month but I so wanted to join this month’s awesome challenge!