In My Kitchen – January 2012

Awards Plus | 9th January 2012 | By

Following Christmas, I have some lovely new things in my Kitchen, so it seems like a good time to join Celia of Fig Jam & Lime Cordial for one of her famous In My Kitchen posts.

In My Kitchen – some cook’s chocolate, an early Christmas present from Green & Black’s. Some already used in my glitzy mendiants but most waiting patiently for their moment of glory.

In My Kitchen – a red Emile Henry clafoutis dish given to me by my mother for Christmas – as yet unused but hopefully soon to be filled with sumptuous clafoutis.

In My Kitchen – a Japanese ginger / wasabi grater which doubles as a fish sculpture, it’s even got scales – a Christmas gift from a friend.

In My Kitchen – four redoubtable rocoto chillies, the fifth recently incorporated into my chocolate ice cream. Harvested long after the main crop (used for our chilli sauce), these are still ripening in a cold greenhouse – in January? Yes, January.

In My Kitchen – Tea with Bea, a thank you gift for baking cakes at a Winter Solstice party. As it happens, I didn’t actually bake for it as the party was cancelled due to the excessive rain and mud we experienced just before Christmas.

In My Kitchen – chia seeds, a present from CT. It’s a Mexican superfood, although most of it is grown in Australia.

In My Kitchen – maca, another gift from CT. Sometimes known as Puruvian gingseng, this also packs a powerful punch. How I’m going to use it, I have no idea.

In My Kitchen – two pots of gold glitter, a kind gift from Susan from A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate.

In My Kitchen – a win from Angela of This Is Life – Ten Byron Bay Cookies, the ones I like!

In My Kitchen – a weighty tome – Pierre Herme’s chocolate book, a Christmas gift from CT

1. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

9th January 2012 at 7:33 am

Happy Monday to you, this is the real start of the New Year isn’t it? Everyone is properly back to business today. I haven’t seen that Green & Black range of chocolate, how is cooks chocolate different from regular ? Is it cheaper, dearer, higher in cocoa? Or just a different range to encourage more sales? I love your clafoutis dish with its delicate frilled edge. I think the chillis just go on and on, my two little plants are covered with red fruits, having flowered very late. What lovely gifts you had this Christmas, xx Jo

2. Kath

9th January 2012 at 8:23 am

You lucky, lucky lady. I especially love the clafoutis dish, I would like one of them.

3. Celia

9th January 2012 at 9:35 am

Choc, I let out a loud moan when I saw the EH clafoutis bowl – I’ve never seen that on offer here, but you can bet I’ll be looking out for it now. It is absolutely GORGEOUS. And we grow chia seeds here in Oz? I learn something new from you every time I visit! 🙂

Thanks for joining it, such great fun to see the treasure in your kitchen! xx

4. Beth Sachs

9th January 2012 at 10:43 am

oooo I’ve got that Emile Henry dish…love it!

5. manu

9th January 2012 at 10:55 am

Everything looks so beautiful and yummy!!
    Have a great week

6. Laura@howtocookgoodfood

9th January 2012 at 11:17 am

What a lovely idea for a post and you are a good person to show us all your kitchen delights! I really love the clafoutis dish and am envious of your beautiful chillies xx

7. nic@nipitinthebud

9th January 2012 at 1:36 pm

what thoughtful, well chosen gifts you received and what fun you shall have using them all. N x

8. A Trifle Rushed

9th January 2012 at 2:22 pm

What a delightful selection of goodies from your kitchen, and what a super idea for a post. I will follow the link and look at Celia’s blog.

9th January 2012 at 7:03 pm

Jo – thank you. Hope you had a good day. Mine was back to work, so not great, but OK. The cook’s chocolate has been around for years – it’s generally available in most supermarkets and health food shops. The cocoa content is a little higher 72% and 37%, but it’s meant to have a higher cocoa butter content than ordinary bar chocolate to facilitate melting etc – that’s my understanding anyway!

Kath – indeed I am very lucky. Any ideas as to what to use the dish for other than clafoutis?

Celia – as ever, thanks to you. Am feeling rather pleased with myself though that I have a EH that you didn’t even know about 😉

Beth – great, what do you use yours for>

Manu – thank you.

Laura – thank you for your lovely kind comments. We’ve never had this variety of chilli at this time of year before, so we’re feeling particularly pleased.

Nic – They are and I will.

Jude – it’s such fun having a peek at what is going on in other people’s kitchens.

9th January 2012 at 7:32 pm

I particularly like the clafoutis dish and the fishy grater. Beautiful and useful a la William Morris!

11. Charlotte Pike

9th January 2012 at 7:53 pm

Lovely post as ever. I want a clafoutis dish too! 2012 is going to be a good year in your kitchen, I reckon.

Another insightful post, thank you.

Charlotte
    @gofreecakes

12. C

9th January 2012 at 8:13 pm

What a lovely peek into your kitchen and some really lovely things there. I love that G&B chocolate – it might say cooking, but it mostly just goes straight in!!! So many interesting and beautiful things in your kitchen. Do you think you’ll manage a chocolate clafoutis variant so that we get to see your beautiful dish on the blog again?!

13. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

9th January 2012 at 8:37 pm

oooh that Clafouti dish is a stunner!… nice blog post x

14. Susan's blog

9th January 2012 at 9:00 pm

Loved reading that and it made me think about whats in my kitchen that’s new etc…like everyone I have my eye on the dish its so nice. x
    (oh and thanks for the glitter mention too)

9th January 2012 at 10:38 pm

Janice – thank you. I have yet to use the fishy grater!

Charlotte – thank you – am crossing fingers you will be right.

C – He he, you are such a chocoholic. I’m sure I can manage another chocolate clafoutis – I seem to remember my first attempt wasn’t quite what I would have hoped.

Dom – thank you kindly sir.

Susan – oh, would love you to do a In My Kitchen post.

16. heidiannie

10th January 2012 at 4:40 am

Your kitchen is filled with delights and beauty. I love the fish grater- I think multi-purposeful kitchen gadgets. And the chocolate, gold glitter,and peppers are inspiring me to get my supplies out and actually use them. I have a package of gold leaf that I get out every year and decide Not to use them. This is the year I’m going to.
    Thanks for inviting us in!

17. thelittleloaf

10th January 2012 at 7:45 am

I really want both of the cookbooks you’ve got there – I picked up the Tea with Bea one in Waterstones the other day and was flicking through the cheesecake section with lots of excitement 🙂 Hoping you’re going to cook and share some of the recipes soon, happy new year! 🙂

10th January 2012 at 7:56 am

Heidiannie- thank you for your kind comments. I think gold leaf is infinitely superior to gold glitter and each year, I promise myself I shall get some, but haven’t managed it yet.

LittleLoaf – oh I think I might just be tempted to make something soon and those cheesecakes do look good.

19. Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things

11th January 2012 at 10:44 am

Aw, lots of delicious and interesting things in your kitchen! Thanks so much for sharing.

20. Sous Chef

11th January 2012 at 7:31 pm

You have such interesting things in your kitchen, so different from what we have here in South Africa. I can see I will have to return to read back a bit.

12th January 2012 at 10:41 am

Bizzy Lizzy – thank you. My problem is where to put it all 😉

Sous Chef – Ahhh, it would be interesting to see what is in your kitchen then.

14th January 2012 at 12:32 pm

really! are most chia seeds grown in Australia? Never heard this but I love chia seeds. And I love seeing in your kitchen – all so lovely (once I realised you were talking fish scales – I kept looking for how and why your wasabi grater would weigh things as scales)

23. Hannah

14th January 2012 at 7:23 pm

Lots of wonderfully interesting things! I love getting a peek into what’s inspiring you in the kitchen.
    I am swooning over your clafouti dish!

24. granite rockville

16th January 2012 at 5:07 pm

You got the many delicious things yeah. I love this to be in my kitchen

25. missflash

18th January 2012 at 11:24 pm

The goodies in your kitchen look great. I’ve never seen a wasabi grater before, so this really caught my eye.
    Happy baking