Chocolate Victoria Sandwich with Apricot Curd Buttercream

Once again, another birthday has passed me by and in the age old tradition, it was time to make cakes for work. Keen to use more of the apricot curd, I thought I’d make a Victoria Sandwich similar to the lime curd one I made a couple of months ago. With one of my colleagues being vegan, I needed to make something a bit different too and that will follow in a later post.

This is what I did:

• Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 225g cardamom sugar until pale & fluffy.
  • Beat in 3 duck eggs one by one.
  • Sifted in 200g flour (50g wholemeal & 150g white), 25g cocoa, 1 rounded tsp baking powder and a pinch of bicarb of soda.
  • Stirred in 1 heaped tbsp home made Creme Fraiche (I usually use yogurt).
  • Spooned into two 22cm sandwich moulds and baked for 25 minutes at 180C until risen and firm to the touch.
  • Left to cool for 10 minutes then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
  • Stacked together with a piece of greaseproof paper between and placed a tin over the top for the night.
  • In the morning, unstacked the cakes, only to find that part of one of them had stuck to the paper – oh well holes in the top of the cake it was to be!
  • In the morning, creamed 50g of unsalted butter with 100g icing sugar until very light and fluffy.
  • Beat in 3 heaped tbsp of apricot curd.
  • Spread this over one of the cakes and put the other on top.
  • Dusted with icing sugar.
This went down a storm at work, with many commenting on how much they enjoyed the apricot curd filling and no-one commenting on the top. CT felt rather left out, but I did inform him that he does pretty well most of the time and his birthday is fast approaching.

1. Ruth

28th July 2011 at 8:16 am

Apricot curd sounds delicious – and perfect for this cake! I could eat a piece (or two) now!

2. Suelle

28th July 2011 at 9:22 am

This cake sounds delicious!

3. Lucie

28th July 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hope you had a very Happy Birthday! Your colleagues are very lucky to have tucked into such a delicious cake! Hope you’re well – Lucie xx

28th July 2011 at 5:01 pm

Ohhhhh, now that is one heavenly looking cake. Happy Birthday ;0)

5. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

28th July 2011 at 4:14 pm

you’ve gone apricrazy!… happy birthday honey x

6. Catherine

28th July 2011 at 4:51 pm

What an excellent spin on the humble Victoria sponge! I bet the apricot goes so good with the chocolate mmmmm! I feel sorry for your Vegan friend 🙁

Thanks for sharing 🙂

7. freerangegirl

28th July 2011 at 10:33 pm

Lovely- and happy birthday to you! Wish I worked with you!

8. Baking Addict

28th July 2011 at 9:36 pm

Sounds great – cant go wrong with a Victoria sponge! Can’t wait to see the vegan option. I made a victoria sponge for a colleague’s birthday yesterday.

9. Jill@MadAboutMacarons

29th July 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love the combination of chocolate and can imagine how moist it must be with the apricot curd. Yum! Happy chocolatey Birthday!

29th July 2011 at 6:34 pm

Ruth – you and me both. The trouble with cake is that it never lasts long enough.

Suelle – thank you.

Lucie – It poured with rain all day here on my birthday, but we escaped to the coast where it was mostly dry, so had a lovely day thank you.

Dom – I have, it’s a good place to be 😉 Thanks for b/day wishes – getting far too long in the tooth now!

Catherine – you’ve hit the nail on the head, I think I do too 😉

Chele – very kind of you to overlook the holes. Thanks for b/day wishes.

Baking Addict – I bet yours looked a lot better than mine did.

FreeRangeGirl – I’m a bit mean really and only take cake into work once (sometimes twice) a year. It’s a bit of a major planning project to get stuff there. Walk to the station (possibly in the rain), try and find somewhere to sit and put cakes in a crowded train, walk the other side.

Jill – Thank you for b/day wishes and saying lovely things again. Must come and visit you and see what you’ve been up to recently.

11. Corina

30th July 2011 at 7:04 am

I often find an ordinary victoria sandwich a little boring but this one looks great.

12. Foodycat

31st July 2011 at 4:55 pm

Happy Birthday! Your colleagues would be mad to say anything negative about those cakes – what if you got the hump and never baked for them again?!

13. C

31st July 2011 at 5:19 pm

Happy Birthday! It looks like a gorgeous cake, and the flavours sound great. I’m trying to give up worrying what my cakes look like – I tend to be more critical than my colleagues who just eat the cake!!!

31st July 2011 at 6:27 pm

Corina – thank you. I know what you mean and it’s never my first choice, but oddly, I find if I do have a Victoria sandwich, I always really enjoy it.

FoodyCat – very good point 😉

C – you’re absolutely right. It’s pure vanity really, I want things to look good – for my friends and for my blog!

15. celia

31st July 2011 at 8:46 pm

Happy Birthday, Choc! What an interesting mix of flavours in your cake – cardamon sugar, duck eggs and apricot curd. It looks sublime..

Hope your day was a happy one!

1st August 2011 at 6:02 am

Celia – thank you. I was a bit late in the posting so it was a few weeks ago now, but I did have a lovely day – I took the week off work which can only be a good thing 😉

17. The Caked Crusader

1st August 2011 at 7:20 am

I love the idea of beating curd into buttercream – very clever!

18. Karen S Booth

8th August 2011 at 6:25 pm

Now this is a great recipe for an alternative Victoria Sponge cale, and I have always liked the idea of apricots with chocolate too!
    Karen

12th August 2011 at 6:02 pm

CC – I was pleased at just how well it worked.

Karen – Indeed apricots and chocolate are a new found love 😉

20. Pam

7th February 2013 at 3:23 pm

This sounds lovely,especially with apricots.

21. Maya Russell

14th March 2013 at 6:12 am

Apricot filling with chocolate is my favourite. Lovely cake.