Chocolate, Date & Walnut Trifle
Some of you may remember that I made this date & walnut cake for last month’s We Should Cocoa challenge. Well, with so many goodies on offer, this poor cake got sadly neglected – CT it seems, is also not a great fan of dates. It was a jolly good cake and one I shall make again – moist, tasty and luckily long lasting, but only a few slices were taken. With this month’s We Should Cocoa challenge being set to use up leftovers, I had initially thought I would use this cake as my offering. But what to do? Well not being blessed with a lot of creative imagination, I opted for the first thing that came into my mind – which was trifle. I then started to think this was perhaps a bit cheeky using virtually the same thing for two challenges in a row BUT by now my mind was very much set on making this trifle anyway. Julia of A Slice of Cherry Pie and Scott of Real Epicurean run a monthly blogging event which I am not usually able to enter, but the ingredients for In The Bag this month are chocolate, cream and nuts – well really! It was clearly meant to be. My cake already had the requisite chocolate and nuts in it – all I needed to do was add some cream. I did add a bit more chocolate and a few more nuts just to make sure though.
This is what I did:
- Cut three large slices of the date and walnut cake and cut them into roughly 1 inch cubes.
- Placed these into a glass bowl.
- Spooned over 6 tbsp of damson liqueur and a couple tbsp of orange syrup (leftover from the candied orange peel).
- Made 1 pint of custard, left to cool then poured over the cake pieces.
- Whipped 250ml double cream until it just held it’s shape then spooned this over the custard.
- Toasted a handful of slivered almonds.
- Grated 20g of Maya Gold then scattered over the cream.
- Finally scattered the almonds over the chocolate.