Black bottomed cupcakes seem to have been much talked about recently, but as I wasn’t exactly sure what they were I managed to remain unruffled. However, having seen this Hummingbird Bakery recipe recently in an old magazine, I had to make it for sure. Chocolate cake marbled (sort of) with cream cheese and lumps of milk chocolate – what an inspired mix! I hunted down the recipe, finding it at Delicious Magazine, then set to.
- Whisked together 190g flour (a mixture of wholemeal & white spelt & buckwheat), 120g vanilla infused granulated sugar, 40g cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Made a well in the centre and poured in 40ml sunflower oil, 1.5 tsp of cider vinegar and 200g water (was meant to be 125g, but this was way too dry).
- Mixed this thoroughly and spooned mixture into 12 cupcake cases.
- In another bowl, mixed 140g cream cheese (I used ricotta), with 40g caster sugar (recipe stated 60g), an egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Cut 100g bar of green & black’s milk chocolate into 1/2 squares and mixed into cheese.
- Spooned this on top of the chocolate mixture.
- Baked in a preheated oven at 170C (gas 3) for 20 mins until well risen and cheese mixture was slightly golden.