Dark Chilli Chocolate Cupcakes
And here follows the other promised cupcake recipe. I have long been wanting to try a cake using chilli and as I was on a spicy cupcake role, I again used a recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess as my starting point – Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake this time.
- Cut a fresh scotch bonnet chilli into pieces and then brought to boil in a covered pan with 100ml water. Left to infuse for a couple of hours.
- Melted 4oz unsalted butter with 200g muscovado sugar and 2oz 85% dark chocolate.
- Sieved 4oz flour (1/2 wholemeal & 1/2 gluten free) with 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda.
- Made a well in the centre, poured in chocolate mixture and mixed together with 1 large egg.
- Reheated chilli water then poured this into cake mixture through a sieve to catch chilli pieces (which I discarded) and stirred well.
- Divided this mixture between 12 cupcake recipes and baked in a preheated oven at 180C for 22 mins.
- Melted 90g 70% chilli chocolate with 50g unsalted butter.
- Left to cool until thick enough to pour onto cooled cupcakes without running, but not so thick it wouldn’t easily spread.
- Decorated with remaining 10g chilli chocolate – grated.