Apple Cider Chocolate Chunk Cake
With the Somerset Cider Apple Cake very much in mind from last week (see previous post), I did some cider shopping this morning! Nothing lacking this time, I set to and started baking. I adapted the recipe to include chocolate – in fact I substituted chocolate for the sultanas as I thought having both might be rather overwhelming.
- Creamed 6oz unsalted butter with 8oz light brown cane sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 2 duck eggs – one by one.
- Sieved 10oz flour (5oz wholemeal spelt & 5oz white spelt), 1.5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp mixed spice and mixed this in alternately with 1/4 pint cider.
- Peeled, cored and chopped 2 cooking apples (3/4 lb of Cornish unnamed variety) into smallish pieces.
- Finally mixed these in together with 100g of good quality milk chocolate (34% green & black’s) chopped into chunks.
- Spooned this into a 22cm cake thingie and baked at 180C for 35 mins.