Apple & Cider Chocolate Cake
Having adapted one apple and cider cake last week, I was keen to make the most of the apple glut and have a go at another this week. This time I thought I’d adapt my own version of apple and cider cake – substituting chocolate & cinnamon for the walnuts, mixed spice and orange zest.
- Melted 4oz butter with 100g 70% dark chocolate and 1 tbsp honey.
- Sifted together 6oz flour (5oz wholemeal spelt & 1oz buckwheat), 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Stirred in 4oz demerara sugar.
- Peeled, cored and chopped 1 large cooking apple (unnamed Cornish variety) into smallish pieces and stirred this into the flour.
- Made a well in the centre and poured in chocolate mixture.
- Mixed this in together with 2 duck eggs.
- Poured in 2 fl oz cider and mixed well.
- Poured this into a 20cm silicone cake thingy and baked at 180C (gas 4) for 40 mins ( which was a few minutes too long as the top got a little bit burnt).