A year or two ago, I had a phase of making cupcakes. I’d never made them before and they really won me over. I made burnt butter cupcakes, cappuccino cupcakes, lavender cupcakes, banana & white chocolate cupcakes, espresso cupcakes, chocolate and cherry cupcakes and lemon drizzle cupcakes, but I never made straightforward chocolate cupcakes. A friend’s birthday this week provided the opportunity and I made some very chocolatey cupcakes from a recipe in Divine.
- Remembered to get the butter (200g unsalted) out early in the morning and put it over the heater to soften.
- Melted 200g dark chocolate (used 1 bar 70% and 1 bar 85%) in a bowl over hot water.
- Creamed the butter with 200g soft brown sugar for ages until it was really light.
- Then stirred in 4 eggs alternately with 200g flour (4oz wholemeal, 4oz white spelt) + 1 heaped tsp baking powder.
- Stirred in 1/2 pot of sour cream and then the melted chocolate.
- Tried to spoon mixture into 12 cup cake cases – big mistake! The recipe stated that this made 12 cup cakes. I had my suspicions about this and I was right – this is a recipe for 24 not 12, so the paper cases ended up being overfilled which then made it difficult to ice them and I still had some mixture left over.
- Baked these for 17 mins at 180°C.
- Melted another bar of 70% chocolate and stirred in the rest of the sour cream.
- Spread this as best I could over the cooled cup cakes.
- Decorated each with a sugar flour.