Chocolate, Apricot and Walnut Tortes

Walnut Meringues

Oh wow, I can’t believe it took me so long to try the pear and almond dark chocolate that I was sent some months ago by Elizabeth Shaw. The blackberry and ginger was good, but this is one I can see becoming a regular. I have a penchant for almond chocolate anyway; this one has the wonderful crunch of almond slivers and a faint yet perceptible pear flavour which was a surprisingly good combination. The dark chocolate is mild giving richness without bitterness. I used most of the bar to make these tortes. Sadly I only left 20g of it to enjoy as was intended and enjoy it I did.

After making yogurt custard, I had some egg whites to use up. These tortes had caught my eye from a book CT had given me for my birthday, High Tea: recipes with a sense of occasion, an Australian book which has a lot of very good traybake ideas I’m keen to try. The original recipe contained dates, but as I had been sent some Crazy Jacks apricots to try out, I thought I’d substitute those instead.

Crazy Jacks apricots are used regularly in this household as they are unsulphered and organic. I actually prefer the flavour of these dark brown apricots which is quite toffee like. These ones were the soft, ready to eat variety, so they were softer and slightly less chewy than the dried ones I’m more familiar with, but still had the lovely toffee flavour. These won Gold at this year’s Soil Association Organic Awards, and I can see why. They are delicious eaten just as they are, but of course are also good chopped up on breakfast cereals, in fruit compotes and in cooking. Grown in the Euphrates valley in Turkey, these apricots are dried naturally in the sun making them particularly delicious as well as nutritious.

They are available from Tesco, Ocado, Amazon and all good health food shops and cost £2.99.

This is how I made:

Chocolate, Apricot and Walnut Tortes

• Greased six 10 cm tart tins and lined the bottoms with rice paper.
  • Roughly chopped 80g of pear & almond 57% dark chocolate, 80g semi-dried natural apricots and 70g walnuts.
  • Whisked 2 large egg whites with electric beaters until soft peak stage.
  • Added 40g golden caster sugar and whisked again until stiff and glossy.
  • Sifted in 1 dessertspoon of cocoa and whisked again.
  • Folded in the chopped fruit, nuts and chocolate and divided the mixture between the six tart tins.
  • Baked at 150C for 45 minutes, then turned off the oven, opening the door slightly and left inside to cool.
Chocolate Walnut Apricot Meringue

Thank goodness I decided to use rice paper rather than just grease the tin bottoms as directed in the recipe; I think they would have been difficult to remove otherwise. The tortes weren’t nearly as sweet as I was expecting them to be. CT described them as having a sort of grown up quality about them. As you’d expect from a meringue, they were crunchy and light on the outside, but chewy in the middle. The walnuts and apricots gave extra crunch and chew and the chocolate added a good depth of flavour. These are going to become a firm favourite I suspect.

Walnuts were one of the main ingredients used in these chocolate, apricot and walnut tortes and played a very important part both in texture and flavour. So I am sending these off to One Ingredient hosted by Laura of How to Cook Good Food which is walnuts this month. Nazima of Franglais Kitchen hosts the event on alternate months.

If asked to describe these tortes, I would have some difficulty, but the closest would probably be a biscuit – a light chewy and crunchy biscuit. With this in mind, I am submitting them to the Biscuit Barrel with Laura of I’d Much Rather Bake Than …. The theme this month is “bookmarked” and this recipe was bookmarked as soon as I first saw it.

Thanks to Kasia of Fuel Pr International for sending me a packet of Crazy Jacks apricots to try. I was not required to write a positive review and as always all opinions are my own.

SaveSave

1. Kath

25th October 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love that you have so much chocolate in your house that a bar can hang around for months. I am free this weekend if you need me to help you out with eating some of the bars cluttering your cupboard 😉

• Sammie

13th July 2015 at 5:28 pm

These tarts look delicious. We snack on dried apricots a lot and as my neighbour has a walnut tree I am fortunate to have a good supply. I’m going to have a go at making these. Great recipe. Sammie

13th July 2015 at 6:05 pm

I was thinking just the other day, I ought to make these again Sammie. Let me know how you get on.

2. belleau kitchen

25th October 2013 at 1:24 pm

oh my word, I love anything that’s nutty and egg-whitey like this… looks so chewy and gorgeous… also LOVE the sound of that pear chocolate, wowzers x

3. laura@howtocookgoodfood

25th October 2013 at 5:16 pm

I have tried the Elizabeth Shaw blackberry chocolate and loved it so I imagine this will be just as good. Those crazy jack apricots are way better than the suphured variety and have a lovely toffee taste, making a really healthy snack. This torte can only be delicious with so many good ingredients, I could see myself enjoying these very much! Thanks for entering One Ingredient xx

4. simonaskitchen Simona Cherubini

25th October 2013 at 5:53 pm

Chocolate is the right answer to a lot of questions! 😉 love these little cakes! Greetings from Tuscany, Simona!

5. Alida

25th October 2013 at 8:50 pm

These chewy delicious cakes made with walnuts look very inviting Choclette. It is so funny as I am munching walnuts right now! I love them. As a child I used to collect them from the tree in Italy. I am bookmarking this recipe as I would love to try it. Have a nice weekend.

6. Laura Denman

26th October 2013 at 8:41 am

I love the idea of combining walnuts and apricots – two good flavours and textures. The chocolate is an obvious win of course! Thanks for sharing with the Biscuit Barrel challenge =)

7. Baking Addict

26th October 2013 at 10:40 am

The pear and almond chocolate sounds delicious. I love the idea of this torte mainly because I like biscuits and of course anything with chocolate in it is a winner 🙂

8. Angie Schneider

26th October 2013 at 4:22 pm

Chewy and crunchy at the same bite…I would love one too.

9. Sue

26th October 2013 at 8:41 pm

These sound so delicious. I have not seen these Elizabeth Shaw chocolate bars but will definitely be on a hunt for them.

10. Phil in the Kitchen

26th October 2013 at 11:19 pm

These sound delicious. I’m a big fan of Crazy Jack’s apricots – there’s always a packet in the house.

11. Gloria Baker

27th October 2013 at 1:50 am

these look delicious!!

12. Christian Halfmann

27th October 2013 at 3:36 pm

This looks and sounds really delicious to me. If it were already 2014 I would go and try the recipe very very soon.

13. Nazima Pathan

4th November 2013 at 11:41 pm

beautiful cakes Choclette and nice seeing apricot alongside walnut here. Must have been delicious. I do love Australian cookbooks. Thanks for sharing this one!

14. Maya Russell

13th November 2013 at 5:47 am

I prefer Crazy Jack apricots too – naturally dried is better than additions of chemicals etc.

15. Maya Russell

17th November 2013 at 7:50 am

I imagine these to be soft, chewy, yet crunchy. Mmmm.

16. prwilson

6th January 2014 at 12:38 am

Chocolate Torte is amazing.

17. Beverley