Apple and Hazelnut Spelt Rye Sourdough Bread Loaf

Apple Hazelnut Spelt Rye Sourdough Bread

Autumn, Bread & Buns, Vegan | 7th October 2016 | By

As you may have gathered by now, I do like to cook and bake with the seasons. When I made my latest Suma order I had some autumnal baking very much in mind. I still have apples from my mother’s garden and although the wildlife got all of our cobnuts this year, hazelnuts are very much on my radar. So, I made an apple and hazelnut spelt rye sourdough bread loaf.

World Bread Awards

World Bread Awards 2016

A couple of weeks ago, I had the real pleasure of being a judge at the World Bread Awards. Judging took place at Westminster Cathedral no less. There were 15 different categories and I was assigned to the flatbread one. I would have loved to be on the sourdough team of judges, but I learnt an awful lot about focaccia and the qualities that make a good flatbread. The awards will be announced on 11 October.

Suma Flour Order

Suma Wholefoods

My recent Suma order not only included a large bag of organic spelt flour, but also some golden wholemeal flour. I thought I might use that to make focaccia. I’ve already requisitioned some of it to make a fabulous toffee apple hazelnut cake. I’ll be posting about that at some future date – see the picture below. Hazelnuts were part of the order and as you can see have been heavily used already. I’m particularly excited by the British fava bean and pea flours from Hodmedods, I nearly included some in this bread, but in the end I thought they’d be better used in their own right. I also have baking plans for the semolina, pumpkin seeds and pistachios. As for the macadamia nut butter, that is so good, I don’t want to use it for anything other than spreading it on bread – this spelt rye sourdough bread.

Toffee Apple Hazelnut Cake with Smoky Salted Caramel Sauce

Apple and Hazelnut Spelt Rye Sourdough Loaf

I’ve just realised that in all my years of making rye sourdough, which I started after attending an excellent bread making course at Schumacher Collage with Andrew Whitley back in 2009, I’ve never posted a sourdough recipe. I’m quite shocked. Normally I make a straightforward rye sourdough, but occasionally I branch out and make something a bit different. This apple hazelnut spelt rye sourdough bread loaf is one such occasion.

Apple Hazelnut Spelt Rye Sourdough Bread

Neither rye nor spelt flours need a lot of kneading, which is all to the good. In fact they both make great no-knead breads. The addition of both ground and whole roasted hazelnuts turned out to be an inspired decision. They combined beautifully with the tart apple and a little scented cinnamon brought out the inherent sweetness of the spelt flour. The house smelt just wonderful whilst the bread was baking and for a long time after too. The result was all that I could hope for. The bread is soft with a chewy crust and tastes totally delicious. It’s great spread simply with butter, but also works well with the macadamia nut butter. I have yet to try it with cheese, but I’m certain that will be good too.

0 from 0 votes
Apple Hazelnut Spelt Rye Sourdough Bread
Apple & Hazelnut Spelt & Rye Sourdough
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
45 mins
Overnight fermenting time
8 hrs
Total Time
1 hr 5 mins

Made with roasted hazelnuts, tart apples and spicy cinnamon, this savoury recipe for an apple hazelnut spelt rye sourdough bread loaf is awesome.
Course: Snack
Cuisine: British
Keywords: apples, bread, hazelnuts, rye, sourdough, wholemeal spelt flour
Servings: 1 large loaf
Author: Choclette
  • 75 g rye sourdough starter
  • 225 g wholemeal rye flour
  • 475 g wholemeal spelt flour
  • 1 ½ tsp sea salt I use Cornish sea salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 75 g hazelnuts - roasted 50g ground, 25g left whole
  • 1 large cooking apple - cored and diced but not peeled I used an unidentified Cornish variety, but a Bramley would work well
  1. The night before baking the bread, mix the rye flour with 450ml of warm water in a large bowl. Add the sourdough starter and stir well. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and leave to ferment overnight.
  2. In the morning remove 75g of the ferment into a covered glass jar and place in the fridge until the next time a sourdough starter is needed.
  3. To the remaining ferment, add the spelt flour and knead in a stand mixer for a couple of minutes. The mixture is quite wet, so it could be difficult to do by hand. Add the remaining ingredients and knead for a further 5 minutes or so.
  4. Form into a freestyle loaf and place on a greased or lined baking tray. As the dough is quite a soft one, a free style loaf will flatten out. For a uniform loaf, place the dough into a 1 kg/2lb loaf tin.
  5. Cover loosely with a plastic bag, ensuring it doesn't touch the dough and leave to prove until the loaf has risen by about ⅓. This could be anything from 2 to 6 hours depending on the temperature of the room and the liveliness of the starter.

6. Dust with a little spelt flour and slash the top 2-4 times with a sharp knife.
  7. Bake at 200℃ for 40-45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when the base is tapped. allow a further 10 minutes or so if baking in a tin.
Recipe Notes

Overnight ferment and a few hours proving time is required.

Link-ups

Suma Bloggers NetworkThis apple & hazelnut spelt rye sourdough bread loaf is my sixth recipe for the Suma Blogger’s Network. I’m also sending this off to Katie at Feeding Boys for this month’s Simple and in Season.

Other sourdough bread recipes you might like

Keep in Touch

If you make this apple and hazelnut spelt rye sourdough loaf, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. A photo is always good too. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

1. Nayna Kanabar

7th October 2016 at 6:16 pm

What a wonderful and delicious looking loaf of bread. I bet it tasted great too.

8th October 2016 at 1:16 pm

Thanks Nayna. It does taste great and luckily there’s still rather a lot of it left 🙂

2. Angie@Angie's Recipes

7th October 2016 at 7:34 pm

Hearty, chewy and awesome…this is my kind of bread and used to bake them quite a lot…

8th October 2016 at 1:15 pm

Yes, this is definitely my kind of bread. Why don’t you bake it any more Angie?

7th October 2016 at 8:30 pm

I just love how you have included apples and hazelnuts in your sourdough loaf, such an amazing combination of ingredients and the epitome of autumn!

8th October 2016 at 1:14 pm

Thanks Janice. When I think autumn, it’s apples and hazelnuts that spring to mind 🙂

• Angie@Angie's Recipes

8th October 2016 at 6:27 pm

Thanks, Choclette, for including my bread here :-)) Well, I have been trying to cut down the carbs. and whenever I made a sourdough or any bread with levain, I just couldn’t resist, esp. the thick chewy crust…I still use sourdough starter, but mostly just for the added flavour.

8th October 2016 at 7:13 pm

You are so good Angie. I’d find it very hard to give up bread. Nice idea to add the starter to other bakes. I ought to try that. Thank you.

4. Lucy

7th October 2016 at 11:36 pm

I’ve never made sourdough, I must remedy that one day soon once I get a,starter from somewhere. Love those autumnal flavours, I bet it made the house smell amazing as it baked!

8th October 2016 at 1:02 pm

The house smelt wonderful while the bread was baking and for ages after too – win win 🙂 Can you bake bread in a slow cooker? It sort of seems counter intuitive as you generally need a hot oven. It would be really interesting to see how a sourdough loaf turned out though.

5. Anca

8th October 2016 at 6:44 am

It looks fab. I love baking bread, but I didn’t bake sourdough. I want to get the starter and start baking. Your recipe sounds delicious and I’ll remember it.

8th October 2016 at 1:00 pm

Thank you Anca. If you like baking bread, it’s only a matter of time before you’ll feel compelled to try sourdough.

6. Fashion and Style Police

8th October 2016 at 8:21 am

I have never baked bread before. Would love to try this recipe. Sounds very yummy.

8th October 2016 at 12:57 pm

If you’ve never baked bread before, it might be better to start with a normal yeasted bread rather than a sourdough, but it’s really not that complicated.

7. Dom

8th October 2016 at 12:08 pm

that looks like one phenomenal bread. I love the idea of apple and hazelnut… I bet this was amazing toasted. Love the sourdough recipe!

8th October 2016 at 1:13 pm

I haven’t got to the toasting stage yet Dom. but I’m pretty certain it’s going to be ace 🙂

8. Jacqueline Meldrum

8th October 2016 at 12:55 pm

I love homemade bread and rye bread is particularly good. Pass me a slice won’t you?

8th October 2016 at 1:04 pm

Still plenty in the loaf yet, so a couple of slices now winging their way towards you Jac 😉

9. Kate - gluten free alchemist

8th October 2016 at 10:40 pm

Looks fantastic and I am sure it tasted just as good…. I have yet to try making a GF sourdough…. and I also really need to try making bread with some fruit additions too…. Sounds very tempting xx

11th October 2016 at 9:40 am

Ooh now, GF sourdough would be interesting Kate. I’m a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to bread making and generally make the same old sourdough, but occasionally I feel the need to branch out.

10. Amy

12th October 2016 at 1:11 pm

I think I’ve got the bread matters book by Andrew Whitley somewhere, will have to dig it out, he really knows his stuff! This loaf sounds yummy, I love the seasonal ingredients, you have to be on top form to beat those squirrels to the cobnuts!

12th October 2016 at 4:26 pm

Thanks Amy. Andrew is an amazing baker and his book is fascinating. It’s not the squirrels that get our nuts, it’s the birds. We didn’t get a single one this year.

11. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche

12th October 2016 at 7:12 pm

How cool that you were a judge at the World Bread Awards!! I’m useless at bread but this sounds sound really tasty.

14th October 2016 at 2:33 pm

It was really cool Becca, although I felt pretty inadequate as a bread maker after seeing so many fantastic loaves.

12. Prameela

18th October 2016 at 6:49 am

Loved the clicks n topping of the bread is looking so bright.. I am sure its very tasty too…

18th October 2016 at 10:00 am

Thank you. I just finished the last of it yesterday and I’m regretting it already.