Spiced Lentil, Carrot and Roasted Tomato Soup

Lentil & Tomato Soup

Lunch, Savoury Chocolate, Soup | 25th January 2015 | By

Recipe for a warming, nourishing and colourful lentil, carrot and roasted tomato soup,  flavoured with herbs and spices. It takes a while to cook, but this allows the flavours to develop and become even more delicious.

The other day, I had the pleasure of sharing a bowl of soup with The Hedge Comber. As it was rather cold outside I fancied making something both warming and colourful. I always have split red lentils in the house, but I also happened to have carrots and tomatoes too. All were of a suitable hue I reckoned. As for flavourings I decided ginger and home-grown chilli for warmth and rosemary and thyme for aroma would hit the spot.

I also decided to roast the tomatoes for additional flavour and to give a slight smoky edge to the soup. To go with this, I made a loaf of bread using oak smoked flour, which complemented the soup well, we thought. A small grating of chocolate went into and onto the soup, but to be honest it was rather lost in the general melange and Janie was, shall we say, underwhelmed by its inclusion.

Other Tin and Thyme Soup Recipes You Might Like

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this lentil, carrot & roasted tomato soup, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Lentil, Carrot & Roasted Tomato Soup – The Recipe

0 from 0 votes
Lentil & Tomato Soup
Spiced Lentil, Carrot and Roasted Tomato Soup
Prep Time
25 mins
Cook Time
45 mins
Total Time
1 hr 10 mins

A warming and colourful soup flavoured with herbs, spices and roasted tomatoes.
Course: Lunch, Supper
Cuisine: British
Keywords: carrots, lentils, soup, tomatoes
Servings: 4 people
Author: Choclette
  • 250 g split red lentils
  • 1 large carrot – scrubbed
  • 1 thumb sized chunk root ginger – peeled
  • 1 red chilli (I used half a rocoto)
  • 2 bay leaves – half wholemeal spelt , half white
  • 1 Litre water
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 1 onion – peeled
  • 4 cloves garlic – peeled
  • 2 thyme sprigs
  • 2 rosemary sprigs
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • a dash tamari (or other soy sauce)
  • ½ tsp sea salt (or to taste
  • a pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ lemon lemon juice
  • a grating of dark chocolate (100%)
  1. Soak the lentils in either cold water overnight or in hot water for an hour (this greatly reduces cooking time). Rinse well.
  2. Dice the carrot, ginger and chilli and add to the lentils together with the water and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the carrots and lentils are tender.
  3. Meanwhile, roughly chop the onion and quarter the tomatoes. Place in a roasting dish with the garlic, olive oil, rosemary and thyme and roast at 200C for about 30 minutes – the onions should be showing a little charring around the edges.
  4. Rub the contents through a sieve to remove the skins and any twiggy bits, then add to the cooked lentils.
  5. Add the tamari, salt and pepper to taste, then blitz with a hand held blender until smooth.
  6. Stir in the lemon juice and add a grating of chocolate, then pour into bowls topping off with another light grating of chocolate.

Sharing

I am entering this into Vanesther’s The Spice Trail over at Bangers & Mash. The chilli was quite pronounced and the ginger combined with it very nicely to give a truly warming soup. The theme is Temple Food and not only is this soup good and healthy it’s the sort of thing that might be eaten in all sorts of Eastern temples – minus the roasted tomatoes perhaps!

I am also sending this off to Cooking with Herbs over at Lavender and Lovage. I used rosemary and thyme from the garden to flavour the roasting tomatoes and bay leaves in the lentils. This month’s theme is The Great British Store Cupboard and as already stated, my store cupboard is permanently stocked with lentils.

Possibly for the first time ever, I find I am able to enter No Croutons Required, the longstanding salad and soup event hosted alternately by Lisa’s Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes.

Lentil and tomato soup is a bit of a classic, but with the edition of carrots, I reckon it becomes suitable for Extra Veg over at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families and alternately hosted by Fuss Free Flavours.

1. David Ferguson

25th January 2015 at 5:21 pm

I must admit at first.. I don’t often cook. BUT, when I do; it’s the wee things like this that I like to find and try and make! SO, I’m going to give this a bash and I’ll let you know how it went! Thanks for this post! x

2. Stephanie Merry

25th January 2015 at 6:01 pm

This looks and sounds delicious and so easy to make x

3. Bex Walton

25th January 2015 at 6:17 pm

I have been looking for some new soup recipes for a while. I’m so bored of constantly making leek and potato (not that there’s anything wrong with that). My other half loves lentils as well so hopefully it will keep him happy. Thanks for the recipe! Bex

4. Heidi Roberts

25th January 2015 at 6:31 pm

I was relieved to see you had a sprinkling of chocolate – I would have worried if you had not used any!

5. Galina Varese

25th January 2015 at 7:48 pm

I love your soup, it sounds perfect. I also always have red lentils at home, and tend to add them to most soups.

6. GG

25th January 2015 at 9:53 pm

Your soup sounds delicious, how fab to have lunch with Janie from Hedgecombers. GG

7. Rachel (Rachel's Kitchen NZ)

25th January 2015 at 11:10 pm

Mmm – I love lentil soups – and the sprinkling of 100% chocolate – DELICIOUS!

8. Jane Sarchet

26th January 2015 at 11:13 am

Hahaha, I’m sorry for my underwhelmningness Chocolette! That’s clearly why you;re the chocolate blogger, and I’m not 😀
    The soup however, and that oak smoked bread… Mmm Mmmmmmmmmm!
    Thank you so much for such a lovely lunch, and I can’t wait to do it all again 🙂
    Janie x

9. Deena Kakaya

26th January 2015 at 6:01 pm

Lentils and tomatoes I’ve done, but not with carrots- sounds like a tasty meal all in one bowl x

10. Angie Schneider

26th January 2015 at 6:06 pm

I am a soup person. This is simple, yet comforting and tasty.

11. Janice Pattie

26th January 2015 at 6:47 pm

Get you and your chocolate soup! Maybe a little Mayan Gold would have added to the spiciness, but it looks perfectly good without the addition of chocolate, lovely idea.

12. Nell@PigeonPairandMe.com

26th January 2015 at 9:28 pm

This looks amazing! I never thought of using chocolate in a soup – what a gorgeous idea.

13. yummychunklet

27th January 2015 at 12:30 pm

Great soup idea in this cold weather!

14. bangers-and-mash.com

28th January 2015 at 9:16 pm

This is a beautiful and wonderfully warming soup – love ginger with carrot and adore chilli in just about anything. Intrigued by the idea of chocolate in there too… A perfect entry for the Temple Food challenge on #TheSpiceTrail. Thanks for linking up.

15. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

28th January 2015 at 9:26 pm

Lovely soup! Looks like we’ll be needing more warming bowls like this in the coming days. We use lots of roasted tomatoes (we still have a frozen stash from the summer), but haven’t yet put them in soup. I can imagine they add a wonderful depth and richness…

16. jwilliams101

28th January 2015 at 10:39 pm

I’m a big fan of lentils, ginger, chilli and dark chocolate but have never – until now – thought of putting them together in a soup! I’d love to try your recipe, it looks delicious.

17. Lisa

30th January 2015 at 4:42 pm

Love this idea. So much flavor going on in this nourishing soup. Thanks for sharing with NCR.

18. Karen S Booth

4th February 2015 at 10:06 am

That is MY kind of soup – lovely combo of flavours!

19. Angela

11th May 2015 at 10:18 am

This looks yummy. I like spice in my food.

11th May 2015 at 10:27 am

Thanks Angela. Your comment made me smile. Judging by the name of your blog, I’d hope you did like spice 😉

20. Mandy

13th May 2015 at 9:18 pm

This sounds like a delicious soup recipe, I’m intrigued to try the chocolate!

14th May 2015 at 9:10 am

Thanks Mandy. Usually my soups consist of whatever I have to hand, but it’s quite nice to make something specific for a change.

21. Mujaddara | Little Sunny Kitchen

15th August 2015 at 10:51 am

[…] Amuse Your Bouche Vegetarian shepherd’s pie with red lentils from Penne For Your Thoughts Spiced lentil, carrot and roasted tomato soup from Tin & Thyme Roasted butternut squash filled with spicy lentil dhal from The Veg Space […]