Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup – Easy, Spicy and Delicious
It may not yet be #Soupvember, but the days have turned mighty chilly and November is indeed very nearly upon us. This is the time of year when soups and stews come into their own. They’re easy to prepare, nourishing and usually delicious. This sweet potato & carrot soup is not only scrumptious, but is also colourful, spicy and warming.
Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
This sweet potato & carrot soup is simple to make. It’s just a matter of roughly chopping some veg, frying it, adding stock, spices and coconut milk and simmering until cooked. All you have to do at this point is blitz it all with a blender until smooth, then ladle it into bowls. It’s quite a thick soup. This makes it rather sumptuous to eat and also somewhat filling. You may or may not want to serve it with some sort of bread depending on how hungry you are and whether this is the main meal of the day.
The soup is vegan, but you could always grate a little cheese over the top for extra nourishment. If you want to keep it vegan, try some crumbled tofu. You could either fry up some smoked tofu or marinade some plain tofu before frying. The maple tofu in this vegan rice bowl recipe would work well.
We had the soup for supper two nights running with some chopped up basil and homemade bread. It was scrumptious, filling and just what we needed after such chilly days. The bright orange reflected the autumnal colours abounding in the New Forest at the moment which added to the glow caused by our homegrown chilli.
Whilst no pumpkins were harmed in the making of this soup, it’s the perfect colour for Halloween. It would be ideal for reviving hypothermic trick-or-treaters.
Optimum Vac2 Air Vacuum Blender
I used my fabulous Vac2 Blender to blitz the sweet potato & carrot soup. Using a power blender makes the soup extra smooth and gives a really nice mouth feel. This blender does a lot more than just blend soups of course. As well as whizzing all sorts of ingredients to make a huge variety of recipes, it can even make some hot soups from scratch. My Optimum Vac2 review of this amazing piece of kit will give you the low down.
If you’d like to order an Optimum Vac2 Air Vacuum Power Blender*, at time of writing it’s on offer at £339. Order it or any other Froothie appliance through either of these links and I can offer Tin and Thyme readers an extra £20 discount off. Just add AMB20 to the comment box when ordering. If you order by phone, just mention the code plus my affiliate number 2483. The delivery charge will be credited back onto your card.
The Optimum G2.1* is Froothie’s most powerful blender and is said to be the best blender for blitzing already cooked soups, or making soups from scratch. I haven’t used it, so I can’t corroborate this claim. However, throughout #Soupvember, I can offer Tin and Thyme readers an extra £40 discount off the G2.1. Follow the link above and add the code AMB40; the current sale price of £339 will be reduced to £299.
Other recipes for autumnal soups you might like
- 3-ingredient roasted butternut squash via Little Sunny Kitchen
- 15 minute mushroom soup via Planet Veggie
- Apple & parsnip soup via Tin and Thyme
- Baked onion & garlic cream soup via Apply to Face Blog
- Broccoli chedder soup via Joshi Cooks
- Butternut squash and red pepper soup via Tin and Thyme
- Chestnut & mushroom soup via Gourmet Mum
- Curried root vegetable soup via FabFood4All
- Golden potato and butternut squash leek soup via Rhubarbarians
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup with coconut & chilli via Veggielicious
- Leek & potato soup via Cool with Renu
- Leek, spinach & cannellini bean soup via Recipes Made Easy
- Quick kale soup recipe via Veggie Desserts
- Spicy roast pumpkin & coconut soup via Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Spicy tomato & lentil soup via Lost in Food
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this easy sweet potato & carrot soup, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share a photo on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup. PIN IT.
Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup – The Recipe
Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
- 2 tbsp flavourless oil I used rice oil
- 1 large onions - roughly sliced
- 4 carrots - roughly chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes - roughly chopped
- 4 ripe medium tomatoes - roughly chopped
- 1 large clove garlic - peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli seeds removed if you don't like your soup too hot
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- pinch fennel seeds optional
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- salt to taste you may not need any additional salt if your veg stock is already salted
- dash of good quality soy sauce I used tamari
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- Fry the onions and seeds with the oil in a large pan over a gentle heat until the onions start to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot and sweet potatoes and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, spices and stock. Cover the pan with a lid, bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Blitz with a blender until smooth (I used my powerful Optimum Vac2 Air Vacuum Blender).
- Pour into bowls and serve.
This post contains affiliate links to Froothie Optimum products*. Links are marked with an *. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blythe and blogging.