Spiced Parsnip Spinach Soup with Apple and Turmeric
Soup is such a wonderful thing. This spiced parsnip spinach soup with apple and turmeric is a quick, delicious and nutritious meal. The sweetness from the parsnips, acidity from the apple and earthiness from the spinach give it a particularly tasty and rounded flavour profile. The additional flavour from the spices makes this an ideal winter warmer.
CT gets a bit sniffy about watching endless cookery programmes, although he does cave in for the Great British Bake Off. So when he’s away I take the opportunity and catch up on the odd programme. He’s been away enough over the last couple of months for me to see the entire Simply Nigella series. Her parsnip spinach soup I simply had to try.
Spiced Parsnip Spinach Soup
Parsnip soup is one of my favourites. I like it spiced or with apple, but I’d never thought to use spinach and make it green until I saw Nigella do it. Of course, by the time I got around to making it, I couldn’t remember what ingredients she’d used other than parsnip and spinach. I hunted for the recipe online, but it was not to be found. Fine, I thought, I’ll make an amalgam of my two usual recipes and throw in some spinach for good measure.
I decided I’d test out the soup function of my new ThermoCook whilst I was at it. How incredibly simple. I threw all the ingredients into the ThermoCook, selected the chop function, followed by smoothie followed by the thick soup programme and away it went. Twenty minutes later, I had a tasty hot jug of spiced parsnip spinach soup just waiting to be downed. And it really was very tasty, just right for a chilly wet Cornish winter’s day.
Spiced Parsnip Spinach Soup – The Recipe
- 400 g parsnips - scrubbed topped and tailed
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cooking apple
- 1 thumb sized bit of root ginger - scrubbed
- 1/2 turmeric rhizome or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- large handful of well washed spinach
- 750 ml water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce of choice
- 100 ml coconut cream
- Place all ingredients except spinach and coconut cream into a large covered pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and blitz with a stick blender.
- Place all fruit, veg and roots into the jug and chop for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except coconut and select smoothie.
- Select thick soup and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and stir at speed 3 for 10 seconds.
I’m sending this spiced parsnip spinach soup off to No Croutons Required with Lisa’s Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes.
Other parsnip soup recipes you might like
- Parsnip and kale soup via Planet Veggie
- Apple parsnip soup via Tin and Thyme
- Curried parsnip and potato soup via From Plate to Pen
- Parsnip carrot and lentil soup via Tinned Tomatoes
- Parsnip soup with pears, ginger and coconut via Family Food Friends
- Roast apple, parsnip and cheddar soup – via Belleau Kitchen
- Slow cooker cumin apple parsnip soup via Baking Queen
Keep in Touch
If you make this spiced parsnip spinach soup, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. A photo is always good too. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
The post contains affiliate links. Buying through a link to a Froothie product will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging. Opinions are, as always, my own.