Soup is such a wonderful thing. This spiced parsnip spinach soup with apple and turmeric is a quick, delicious and nutritious meal. The sweetness from the parsnips, acidity from the apple and earthiness from the spinach give it a particularly tasty and rounded flavour profile. The additional flavour from the spices makes this an ideal winter warmer. It’s vegan too.
CT gets a bit sniffy about watching endless cookery programmes, although he does cave in for the Great British Bake Off. So when he’s away I take the opportunity and catch up on the odd programme. He’s been away enough over the last couple of months for me to see the entire Simply Nigella series. Her parsnip spinach soup I simply had to try.
Spiced Parsnip Spinach Soup
Parsnip soup is one of my favourites. I like it spiced or with apple, but I’d never thought to use spinach and make it green until I saw Nigella do it. Of course, by the time I got around to making it, I couldn’t remember what ingredients she’d used other than parsnip and spinach. I hunted for the recipe online, but it was not to be found.
Fine, I thought, I’ll make an amalgam of my two usual recipes and throw in some spinach for good measure.
I decided I’d test out the soup function of my new ThermoCook whilst I was at it. How incredibly simple. I threw all the ingredients into the machine, selected the chop function, followed by smoothie followed by the thick soup programme and away it went. Twenty minutes later, I had a tasty hot jug of spiced parsnip spinach soup just waiting to be downed.
And it really was very tasty, just right for a chilly wet Cornish winter’s day.
You can however, make it in a saucepan and blitz it with a stick blender. I’ve given instructions for this in the recipe below.
Of course I now use the fabulous Froothie Evolve power blender*, with its two glass jugs. One of which makes soup. And such beautiful smooth velvety soup. Not the picture you can see here, I hasten to add.
Other Parsnip Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Parsnip and kale soup via Planet Veggie
- Apple parsnip soup via Tin and Thyme
- Curried parsnip and potato soup via From Plate to Pen
- Parsnip carrot and lentil soup via Tinned Tomatoes
- Parsnip soup with pears, ginger and coconut via Family Food Friends
- Roast apple, parsnip and cheddar soup – via Belleau Kitchen
- Slow cooker cumin apple parsnip soup via Baking Queen
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this spiced parsnip spinach soup with or without the spelt flour, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
If you’d like even more soup recipes, follow the link and you’ll find I have quite a lot of them. All delicious, of course.
Parsnip Spinach Soup. PIN IT.
Spiced Parsnip Spinach Soup – The Recipe
Spiced Parsnip Spinach Soup with Apple and Turmeric
- 400 g parsnips – scrubbed, but not peeled topped and tailed
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cooking apple
- 1 thumb sized bit of root ginger – scrubbed, but not peeled
- 1 tsp ground turmeric or ½ turmeric rhizome – scrubbed but not peeled
- large handful of well washed spinach
- 750 ml water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce of choice
- 100 ml coconut cream
- Place all ingredients except spinach and coconut cream into a large covered pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and blitz with a stick blender.
- Place all fruit, veg and roots into the jug and chop for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except coconut and select smoothie.
- Select thick soup and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and stir at speed 3 for 10 seconds.
- Roughly chop the parsnip, onion, garlic and apple and throw into the cooking jug. Add the remaining ingredients and enough water to take it up to the 1,400 level. Close the lid.
- Either say "Froothie make my soup" or select the smooth soup function.
- Thirty minutes later you will have the most fabulous piping hot bowl of delicously smooth soup.
I’m sending this spiced parsnip spinach soup off to No Croutons Required with Lisa’s Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes.
The post contains affiliate links which are marked with an asterisk*. Buying through a link to a Froothie product* will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging. Opinions are, as always, my own.