Nectarine Pecan Slice – A Late Summer Traybake
A classic oaty traybake with added chocolate chips and pecans, layered with nectarines marinaded in Amaretto. This nectarine pecan slice is perfect for high summer when nectarines, plums, peaches and apricots are almost dripping of the fruit bowl.
As some of you may remember, on Valentine’s Day, I received a fabulous tray of South African stone fruit from Beautiful Country Beautiful Fruit. As well as just enjoying the fresh fruit which was such a treat at a rather dull time of the year, I used them in a number of delicious bakes.
Nectarine Pecan Slice
This nectarine Amaretto pecan slice was one of them. I adapted it from the chilli and chocolate mincemeat slice I made the Christmas before last. I used nectarines marinaded in Amaretto as the filling and added pecans and dark chocolate chips to the mix.
The traybake is a really easy one to make and perfect for feeding a crowd. I made it when we had friends visiting and suffice to say, it was a resounding success. What the slice lacked in looks, it made up for in flavour.
Chocolate Yes or No?
Update August 2019
Back in the day when Tin and Thyme was a chocolate themed blog called Chocolate Log Blog, all recipes had to include chocolate. This sometimes meant I added chocolate to recipes that would, quite frankly, be better off without it. Now, when I make this recipe, I no longer add it as I’m not so sure that dark chocolate and nectarines make the best pairing in the world. But I’ll leave this dilemma with you and if you want to include chocolate chips, please don’t let me stop you.
Show Me Your Nectarine Pecan Slice
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this nectarine Amaretto pecan slice, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. And did you include chocolate or not? Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Nectarine Amaretto Pecan Slice – The Recipe
Nectarine Amaretto Pecan Slice
- 3 (450g) nectarines – stoned
- 2 tbsp Amaretto
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 180 g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 190 g wholemeal spelt flour
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 160 g rolled oats
- 50 g dark chocolate chips
- 50 g pecan nuts – chopped
- Chop the nectarines and place in a bowl with the Amaretto and leave to macerate whilst you make the base.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale caramel in colour.
- Beat in the egg.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and stir.
- Stir in the oats, chocolate and pecans until all incorporated. Don't worry if the mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture into a 9″ square cake mould. Cover with the nectarines and then scatter the other half of the oat mix on top as best you can to cover the nectarines.
- Bake at 170℃ (325℉, Gas 3) for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut into 16 squares. Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Baking with Spirit is one of the challenges I keep meaning to enter but rarely manage. As it’s Easter and all that, Janine of Cake of the Week has chosen chocolate as the theme for April. So I really have no excuse and I’m getting in early with these Nectarine Amaretto and Pecan Slices.