Peach and White Chocolate Cake – a Valentine’s Day Surprise

Cake, Traybakes | 4th April 2013 | By

Well, I maybe posting this a little later than intended, but it now coincides with my 500th blog post, which turns out to be very apt timing indeed. Read on.

For the first time in more years than I care to remember, I had a surprise Valentine in the post this year. Valentine’s Day is a particularly special day for me as it’s when I started Chocolate Log Blog. This year, I spent the morning at Waterstones in Truro with fellow members of Cornwall’s Clandestine Cake Club helping the launch party of the CCC Cookbook go with a swing, or rather go with cake. In the afternoon, as we were in the vicinity, CT and I made the most of the sunshine and went for a welcome walk around the National Trust’s Trelissick Garden. Not only were there lots of snowdrops, camellias, rhododendrons and even azaleas in flower, but there were a number of striking artworks we hadn’t seen before.

A rather lovely day was topped off very nicely when I arrived home to find an unexpected parcel. A parcel containing a big red Valentine’s box all tied up with a heart shaped card and red bow. I’d sort of got an inkling from the address that it was probably aimed more at my blog than at me personally, but this in no way detracted from my delight at finding a host of golden stone fruit nestling in the box, South African plums, peaches and nectarines.

The peaches in particular looked as though they needed using up pretty fast, so off I went to Eat Your Books to see what peachy recipes I might have to inspire me. I found several and all looked good, but in the end I thought I’d try something based on Mollie Katzen’s Peach Puddingcake from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I adapted things a little, converted the US cup measures into metric and added white chocolate and flaked almonds.

This is how I made

Peach and White Chocolate Cake

• Melted 40g unsalted butter and 50g vanillary white chocolate (G&B) in a small pan over a low heat. Set aside to cool a little.
  • Stoned and sliced two medium peaches and one nectarine.
  • Whisked 2 duck eggs with 200g (1 cup) of light brown sugar until thick and pale.
  • Added 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp almond extract and whisked for a little longer.
  • Sieved in 300g (2 cups) flour (1/2 wholemeal spelt, half white), 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice and 1/4 tsp salt.
  • Folded this as gently as possible into the mixture.
  • Mixed in 240 ml (1 cup) milk, bit by bit.
  • Stirred in the butter & chocolate as gently as possible followed by the peach slices.
  • Spooned into a 9″ sq cake mould.
  • Placed the nectarine slices on top and scattered with a spoonful of flaked almonds.
  • Baked at 180C for 35 minutes until well risen, golden and firm on top.
  • Left to cool and cut into 16 squares.

I ate a square whilst it was still warm and it was absolutely gorgeous. Soft, sweet and peachy. It was nearly as good cold and was polished off rather too quickly.

Many thanks to Chocolate Log Blog’s mystery Valentine and I hope to commence with the next 500 posts very shortly.

This month’s No Waste Food Challenge, chosen by Turquoise Lemons but hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen is fruit. Well, stone fruit doesn’t usually last very long and the peaches in particular needed using quickly, so I think this peach and white chocolate cake qualifies.

I’m also submitting this to Javelin Warrior’s weekly made from scratch challenge, Made with Love Mondays.

The theme for Calendar Cakes this month is The Great British Show. Well, this may be adapted from an American recipe, but it is just the sort of cake you’d find for sale at an English fete, so I’m hoping it counts. This is a monthly challenge hosted by Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes.

1. Nazima

4th April 2013 at 12:58 pm

A gorgeous cake. We love peaches and nectarines, and it must have been nice to receive a summery fruit in the depths of winter! I’ve been doing a lot of cakes with fresh fruit as my family likes it so this is going on the to make list!

2. Foodycat

4th April 2013 at 1:15 pm

That looks so good! Can’t wait for British stone fruit.

3. Katharine

4th April 2013 at 2:19 pm

That sounds and looks absolutely delicious! I love anything with peaches anyway and your cake looks so moist and squidgy. Congratulations on your 500th post, I think this cake is suitably celebratory!

4. Charlotte Charlotte'sKitchenDiary

4th April 2013 at 3:26 pm

How lovely Choclette. Congratulations on your 500 blog post – what an achievement. I always enjoy your posts and very much look forward to the next 500!

5. Javelin Warrior

4th April 2013 at 4:30 pm

Love the combination of spices in this cake, Choclette! The looks so moist and delicious and the almonds on top are a lovely touch… Congrats on 500 posts! That’s a big number and as Charlotte said, I’m looking forward to the next 500! Thanks so much for sharing!

6. Elizabeth

4th April 2013 at 5:14 pm

Congratulations on 500 posts! Your cake looks absolutely fabulous! What a lovely boxed surprise to be waiting for you when you got home. Thank you for entering this recipe into the No Waste Food Challenge.

7. Angela Darroch

4th April 2013 at 5:19 pm

I love receiving parcels in the post especially if they are free and food related 🙂 This cake looks delish. Looking forward to your next 500 posts.

8. belleau kitchen

4th April 2013 at 7:08 pm

such a lovely story… so romantic and so damn tasty!… love the look of that cake… and congrats on the 500th blog post, I love your blog x

9. Brownieville Girl

4th April 2013 at 8:08 pm

What a delicious summery treat in the middle of winter (wait it’s spring – not that my heating system knows it!!!!)

Congratulations on 500 posts – loved them all:-)

10. Simon Narracott

4th April 2013 at 9:26 pm

Congrats on the 500th post. As a wine writer I am working towards the 500th bottle to write up (hic) so I can appreciate the effort it takes.

11. underthebluegumtree

5th April 2013 at 10:03 am

Lucky you! And congrats on an epic 500 blog posts. What a lovely cake to celebrate. I am sure it tastes amazing with that South African fruit which I happen to know is very good indeed 😉

12. thelittleloaf

5th April 2013 at 12:21 pm

What an absolutely scrumptious sounding cake! I used to go for chocolate over fruit every time but now I often find myself opting for something a big fresher. A recipe that combines chocolate AND fruit, well now you’re talking 🙂

13. Susie @ Fold in the Flour

5th April 2013 at 10:44 pm

A great combination of flavours and it looks lovely. Congratulations on 500 posts and what a lovely way to celebrate! 🙂

14. Jo

7th April 2013 at 5:50 pm

What a beautiful looking cake, it bet it tasted fantastic fresh from the oven. Anything white chocolate based gets a massive thumbs up from me. Congratulations on your 500th post!

18th April 2013 at 10:49 am

Congratulations on 500 blog posts. A gorgeous cake and a gorgeous story to accompany it. I could just taste that piece fresh from the oven and wanted more.

16. Ten perfect peach recipes | Foodies 100

3rd July 2015 at 10:00 am

[…] peach and white chocolate tray bake from Tin & Thyme is great for sharing this summer whatever the weather ends up […]