Chocolate Ground Cherry Upside Down Cake
Finally, after weeks of waiting, we had enough ripe ground cherries (a type of physalis) to cook up a bit of a storm. Hum, what to make? Ground cherry crumble was all I’d ever had before and I fancied something a bit different – something with chocolate! So I came up with this.
- Dehusked 200g ground cherries
- Melted 50g unsalted butter in a pan and mixed in ground cherries then 100g demerara sugar
- Poured this into a 22cm cake thingie
- Melted 125g unsalted butter with 125g brown sugar & 100g 85% chocolate.
- Sieved 150g flour, 1 rounded tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Made a well in the centre, poured the chocolate mixture in and stirred .
- Mixed in 2 duck eggs and 3 tbsp milk.
- Poured this over the ground cherries and baked for 30 mins at 180C.
- Removed from oven and left to cool for 5 mins then turned out onto a plate.