Peanut Butter Blondies

Brownies & Blondies | 4th September 2009 | By

Due to a flurry of posts about the Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Blondies in Rachel Allen’s Bake, I thought I’d better see what all the fuss was about.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 4oz unsalted butter with 6oz (1/2 jar) of peanut butter and 6oz sugar.
  • Beat in 2 medium eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Mixed in 5oz sieved wholemeal flour and 1 tsp baking powder, which made rather a stiff dough.
  • Finally mixed in 100g of chopped white chocolate.
  • Spooned into a 8×10″ tin and baked at 175°C (gas 4) for 20 mins.
Turned out 20 minutes was a couple of minutes too long! The top was rather browner than it should have been and the middle was not quite as squidgy as I would have liked. Peanut butter and white chocolate were not flavours I would have immediately thought of as going well together, but it actually works really well. I will definitely be making these again, only next time I’ll give them 17 minutes rather than 20.

1. Lucie

4th September 2009 at 1:07 pm

They look great – They are really nice aren’t they? They are lovely warm with good quality ice cream.

Best wishes
    Lucie http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/

4th September 2009 at 7:26 pm

Thank you Lucie. That is a tip I shall bear in mind for next time! They were good – I was surprised at how nice they were.

4th September 2009 at 9:28 pm

Do you know what – this is the only recipe from the Bake book that I have tried and not been that impressed with. Mine were slightly overcooked too and not at all brownie like and the combo of peanut butter and white choc just wasn’t a winner. A bit too marzipan-ish for me I think. Maybe I need to try the recipe again and not over cook it this time lol

4. Erika K

11th July 2011 at 3:47 pm

I haven’t made bars in a long time, but this seems like a good one to start with. I adore peanut butter and chocolate, so this could become a favorite. Will certainly heed the warning about baking too long.

A little concerned about translating the 5 oz sieved wholemeal flour into gluten free flour (may not be the same density), but I’m willing to try. Glad to see the “stiff dough” description, as that will help me out.

Thanks, and I’ll report back how this goes in the gluten free version.

5. Tracy K Nixon

17th February 2013 at 5:49 pm

These sound lovely! I love baking biscuits with my children and was looking for some new recipes to try next week when the kids are off school. I always have a supply of ingredients in for when the weather looks to get colder so I can keep the kids busy and off their computers!

6. claire wilkinson

15th March 2013 at 3:38 pm

oh wow these sound fab ill definatly be having a try x

7. Maya Russell

21st July 2013 at 6:29 am

I love peanut butter! Always looking for new recipes. Thanks.