About 2 years ago, there was a great series of radio 4 plays about baking. The very first play was about making a chocolate cake with mayonnaise. How weird I thought, then forgot all about it. A few days ago, I again heard mention of mayonnaise used in cakes. So maybe it wasn’t just a few crackpots in a play! In need of a cake for a camping trip, I fished out the recipe and set to.
- Melted 200g 85% dark chocolate together with 120ml strong coffee.
- Combined 100g of sieved wholemeal spelt, 25g buckwheat flour, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 100g ground almonds, 1 tsp baking powder and 200g caster sugar.
- Made a well in the centre and put in a guestimated 200g of mayonnaise and 1 egg (latter was not in the original recipe, but I had one that needed using up).
- Mixed this together along with the melted chocolate.
- Spooned mixture into a 22cm cake thingy and baked at 180°C for 30 mins.
- Melted 100g 85% dark chocolate with 150ml of single cream.
- Stirred until combined then left to cool.
- Spread onto cooled cake.