Chocolate Polenta Cake
This is a fantastically rich cake that I have made many times before – it’s easy, tastes great and has never yet let me down.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (gas 4)
- Melt 100g dark chocolate (70% or even 85%) with 150g unsalted butter and 150g muscovado sugar in a pan on very low heat.
- Sieve 30g cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add 75g fine polenta and 75g ground almonds.
- Make a well in the centre and add melted chocolate mixture (this is generally how I do most of my cakes as I find creaming rock hard butter a real pain and baking is something I usually do quite spontaneously so am rarely organised enough to get it out of the fridge and into a warm place well in advance).
- Mix in together with 2 eggs yolks and 1 tbsp Marsala (or brandy)
- Whisk 2 egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Bake in a 20cm prepared round cake tin for 30 mins or until firm to the touch.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with a little sieved icing sugar and serve with raspberries