Rhubarb Friands with White Chocolate – We Should Cocoa #68
Back along, nearly three years ago to be exact, I hosted a six course chocolate themed dinner party for friends. These rhubarb friands with white chocolate (that’s with an a not an e) accompanied the rhubarb, rose and white chocolate ice-cream that made up the last course but one. With rhubarb already in season, this seems like a good time to finally publish the recipe.
Friands are the Australian version of the better known French financiers. They are made with egg whites, so are a lighter bake than your average sponge. Traditionally made with a mix of ground almonds and flour, I always use buckwheat flour in my friands to make them gluten free and why not? This seems to work as they are extremely moreish. They are also quick and easy to bake. I have neither the traditional oval friand moulds, nor the rectangular financier ones, so I make do with plain old muffin moulds and mini ones at that. This gives a good balance of crisp outer edge and soft, light interior. Tuck in.
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25g white chocolate - I used G&B
- 25g trimmed rhubarb - chopped very finely.
- 1 large egg white - I used a duck egg.
- 40g golden icing sugar
- 15g buckwheat flour
- 20g ground almonds
- Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat with the white chocolate. Stir and leave to cool a little.
- Whisk the egg white in a large bowl until frothy, but not stiff.
- Sieve in the icing sugar and whisk.
- Gently stir in the melted butter mixture followed by the rhubarb.
- Sieve in the buckwheat flour and fold in together with the ground almonds.
- Divide the mixture between 12 silicone mini cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 180℃ until golden, firm and well risen.
- Leave to cool for a little, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- The recipe can easily be doubled, tripled or quadrupled for more of these delicious morsels.
My rhubarb friands also go to Lucy the Baking Queen for Perfecting Patisserie.
Other friand recipes you might like
- Cinnamon choc chip friands via Tin and Thyme
- Hazelnut and white chocolate friands via As Strong as Soup
- Raspberry and white chocolate friands via Tin and Thyme