White Chocolate & Passionfruit Cupcakes
Inspired by Chele’s recipe for passionfruit & white chocolate muffins over at the Chocolate Teapot, I immediately wanted to use this great sounding combination of flavours. I was unable to do so for quite a while as I couldn’t find any passionfruit. Chele gave me a good tip and bingo, I found some. Last weekend we went off to visit friends “down west” as we say in my part of Cornwall. Of course, I wanted to take cake and this was an ideal opportunity to make use of the recently acquired passionfruit. This is what I did:
- Melted 125g unsalted butter with 100g white chocolate (I used the very vanillary G&B).
- Mixed in 125g granulated vanilla sugar (I have a vanilla pod permanently sitting in a jar of granulated sugar, but this could be substituted with 1 tsp vanilla extract).
- Beat in 2 large eggs
- Sifted in 150g flour (100g wholemeal and 50g buckwheat), a meagre teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda.
- Stirred in 2 large tbsp Greek yogurt (TOTAL 0% fat) and the pulp of 2.5 passionfruits.
- Creamed 60g unsalted butter with 75g sieved icing sugar until well incorporated.
- Stirred in 1 tbsp yogurt (TOTAL 0% fat) and pulp from remaining 1/2 passionfruit. It all came rather unstuck at this point as the mixture curdled and I wasn’t able to rescue it.