Chocolate Yogurt Cake & A Pizza Party
I’ve used the Greek yogurt in my cakes a few times and am already finding it hard to conceive of not using it in my baking. It gives such a light consistency to the mix as well as keeping the cake nice and moist. Anyway, having come across this recipe for a butterless cake using sour cream at Cake Crumbs and Cooking, I of course thought of trying it with yogurt.
- Whisked 3 duck eggs with 125g dark brown sugar until thick and well incorporated (about 4 mins with electric whisk).
- Stirred in 250ml of TOTAL full fat Greek Yogurt
- Sifted in 115 g flour (1/2 white, 1/2 wholemeal), 1 scant tsp baking powder and 30g cocoa powder.
- Mixed together until just incorporated then poured into a 22 cm cake thingie and baked for 35 mins at 180C.
- Melted 30g unsalted butter with 50g 70% dark chocolate and 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Stirred in 100g icing sugar then mixed with enough warm water to make a spreadable, but not runny icing.
- Spread this over the cake and decorated with sugar flowers.
I found that the cake rose well then slumped gracefully to just the right level giving a nice flat top to ice. The cake was moist, spongy and delicious (that’s what I was told anyway). Needless to say, we had a great time and I came home with an empty plate.