Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Another “big” birthday to celebrate, so another party to make something for. I plumped for the sticky peanut butter cake from Divine, but as they were easier to carry, decided to make cupcakes rather than the intended sandwich cake. This is what I did:
- Creamed 175g unsalted butter with 175g brown sugar until mixture really light in colour.
- Beat in 1 duck egg & 2 large chicken eggs (had run out of duck eggs) alternately with 150g of sifted wholemeal flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 30g cocoa powder
- Finally stirred in 1 tsp vanilla essence and 2 tbsp milk.
- Filled cupcake cases to about 3/4.
- Baked these for 17 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
Meanwhile made the peanut butter icing by:
- Melting 100g high cocoa content (36%) milk chocolate with 25g unsalted butter.
- When cooled slightly stirred in 125g smooth peanut butter until mixture was smooth.
- Poured a good tbsp of this onto top of each cupcake.
- Decorated all with chocolate coated peanuts.
If making the sandwich cake, you will need two 20cm sandwich tins. There was more than enough of both mixtures for the cupcakes, so I made a mini sandwich cake with the remainder. The cupcakes seemed to go down very well with the children.