Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
I’ve always been a big fan of mushrooms, I can’t help myself. When I was asked to feature a recipe for creamy garlic mushrooms on my blog, it took me a whole two seconds to decide. Mushrooms with garlic and cream is probably my favourite way to eat them.
Sunrise Senior Living specialise in assisted living in the UK and they have created a number of nutritious and tasty recipes that are not only suitable for the elderly, but can be enjoyed by just about anyone. As there was only CT and I to cook for, I halved the quantity and we both had a fairly substantial weekend lunch out of it. Not only was it filling, but it was quite delicious too. With plenty of watercress, parsley and garlic thrown into the mix, it felt as though it was doing us good. I used homemade crème fraîche rather than the cream stated in the recipe as I happened to have some in the fridge and I thought it would give an added dimension, but either one would work well. I used sherry rather than white wine as I didn’t want to open a bottle specially for this. I also decided the suggested butter on the toast wasn’t really needed, so I omitted that.
- 100g button mushrooms
- 50g Portobello mushrooms
- 15ml sunflower oil
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 tsp coarse grain mustard
- 30ml sherry
- 1 large clove garlic
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 10g flat leaf parsley - finely chopped, plus a couple of extra sprigs for garnish.
- 4 slices granary bread
- a little smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Heat half of the oil in a non stick pan and sauté half the onion over a medium heat until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry until slightly caramelised. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion until golden.
- Add the mustard, sherry, garlic and crème fraîche and simmer until the sauce thickens. Add the parsley and season to taste.
- Stir in the mushrooms and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Toast the bread, cut into triangles and arrange on two plates.
- Spoon the mushrooms over the top, garnish with paprika and parsley sprigs and serve with the watercress,
- For a lighter lunch, this could serve 3-4 people. Use cream instead of crème fraîche if desired.