Ages ago, I saw a fabulous post for a fruit dessert pizza over at Peaches Please and was immediately struck by the idea. I had been sent some plums from South Africa so the time was right to try a plum pizza. Some of you may recall the plum and amaretto ice-cream I made with these very same plums way back when, so I had high hopes. I was also keen to try making pizza dough with white chocolate which I thought would suit this fruity delight very well.
This is how I made:
Plum and Walnut Pizza
- Mixed 250g flour (half wholemeal, half white) in a bowl with 1 tsp instant yeast, ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp maca powder (not necessary, but makes me think I’m being healthy).
- Stirred in 150ml warm water and 1 tbsp olive oil until the mixture came together in a ball.
- Kneaded for about 10 minutes on an oiled surface, adding 30g of finely chopped vanillary white chocolate towards the end (I used G&B).
- Placed into an oiled bowl and left to rise for an hour or so.
- Divided the mixture into 4 balls and rolled as thinly as possible into rounds.
- Placed on lined baking sheets.
- Warmed 3 tbsp of plum jam (homemade) and 1 tbsp marsala in a small pan.
- Sliced 4 large purple plums into thin slices.
- Roughly chopped a handful of walnut halves.
- Spread a tbsp of the jam mixture over the base of each pizza.
- Laid the plum slices over the jam then scattered some walnuts over the top.
- Dusted a little vanilla sugar over the top.
- Baked in the middle of the oven at 200°C for 12 minutes.
- Served immediately (apart from the odd photo or two).
Gosh these were good. The dough was soft and sweet and combined beautifully with the tart juicy plums and the fragrant vanilla. The walnuts gave a delightful crunch and added bitter notes which contrasted nicely with the caramel undertones from the bits of white chocolate that had caramelised in the dough. These were also a visual feast with the strikingly coloured purple plums. This is a dessert I can see us having again and again – maybe with peaches or nectarines by way of a change.
Other Summer Baked Puddings You Might Like
- Black forest clafoutis
- Chocolate pancakes with blackcurrant compôte
- How to make clafoutis
- Rhubarb crumble
Alpha Bakes is P this month and I have three of them. P is for Purple Plum and Walnut Pizza. It is hosted this time around over at Caroline Makes and is alternately hosted by Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker.