Tiramisu Cake

Tiramisu Cake

My mother asked me back in November (oh dear where does the time go?) if I would make a cake for her. She volunteers at her village community centre and wanted the cake as a leaving and thank you present for her boss. I knew it was time to make Ruth Clemens’ (aka The Pink Whisk) Tiramisu Cake. This is not a natural choice for me as I am in a small minority of non-coffee lovers. However, I do know it is considered to be one of the most popular flavours ever and I have supporting evidence. When The KitchenMaid chose coffee as the We Should Cocoa special ingredient, we had a record number of entries and Lucy had to do the round-up in two parts. Tiramisu, everyone assures me, is a delicious dessert, so transformed into cake form, how could it fail to please? That was my reasoning anyway.

Cream Cheese Marsala Icing

Ruth is one of those bakers whose recipes I trust. I’ve made a number of her bakes and not once has she let me down. However, as I am completely incapable of following a recipe, I did make a few adaptations. As it was meant to be tiramisu, I used cream cheese in the icing. I wanted to use the classic mascarpone, but when I went down to our local co-op, I found it had stopped selling it, which was mighty annoying. I had to make do with Philadelphia instead. I didn’t cover the cake with ganache either as I wanted the contrast between the chocolate and cream colours to stand out. I reduced the amount of icing sugar in the icing and also used slightly less sugar in the cake.

This is how I made:

Tiramisu Cake

• Brewed a strong batch of filter coffee and left to cool.
  • Creamed 165g unsalted butter with 250g soft brown sugar and 70g dark brown sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Beat in 3 duck eggs, one at a time.
  • Sifted in 260g flour (100g wholemeal, 100g white, 60g self-raising white), 70g cocoa and 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Stirred this in gently, alternating with 220 ml of sour milk.
  • Added 4 tbsp of the cooled coffee and stirred until just incorporated.
  • Divided the mixture between 2 x 20 cm cake moulds and baked at 180°C for 30 minutes until the cakes were well risen and an inserted skewer came out clean.
  • Left to cool for ten minutes, then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
  • Creamed 60g unsalted butter with a couple of large spoonfuls from 250g icing sugar.
  • Beat in 100g cream cheese, then slowly added the rest of the icing sugar.
  • Added 1 tbsp Marsala and 3 tbsp strong coffee. Beat until all smooth and a good spreading consistency achieved.
  • Spread one cake with half the mixture, placed the other cake on top and topped with the remaining icing.
  • Sprinkled with whatever chocolate bits I could lay my hands on.

Tiramisu Cake

I wasn’t expecting it to turn out to be such a stonker of a cake, but petite it was certainly not. CT was rather upset to find his tasting services were not required; unlike me, he enjoys coffee flavoured cakes. Nevertheless, the feedback I received via my mother was very positive and was most gratifyingly demonstrated by an empty plate.

I’m sending this off to Javelin Warrior for his Made with Love Mondays

I’m also entering this into Emily’s Recipe of the Week over at A Mummy Too.

1. Laura Denman

11th January 2014 at 11:50 am

I think how you’ve adapted this is perfect and I wouldn’t mind a slice right now =)

11th January 2014 at 7:30 pm

Thank you Laura – you know how to put a smile on my face 🙂

11th January 2014 at 12:23 pm

(trying again after blogger ate my comment) your cake looks beautiful and generous – but like you I do not like coffee and do not understand tiramisu

11th January 2014 at 7:32 pm

Sorry Johanna and thanks for trying again. Good to know we stand united in our coffee taste as well as love of nut roasts 😉

3. Chris

11th January 2014 at 12:26 pm

Oh, what a great looking cake. Always when I want to be mascarpone I don’t see it in the shop and when I don’t want to buy it, I see it. Weird! I should have a go at some multi-layer cakes.

11th January 2014 at 7:36 pm

Ah Chris, after your tiramisu trifle way back in summer 2012l, I always think of you when tiramisu is mentioned. Yes indeed, do have a go at a layer cake – this one might be a good one to start with! What is that mascarpone playing at?

4. Alicia Foodycat

11th January 2014 at 3:55 pm

That sounds lovely! Tiramisu is a favourite dessert, so I can see why it would be popular in cake form!

11th January 2014 at 7:37 pm

A favourite with lots of people Alicia, but not with me. Glad you approve though 🙂

5. Katie

11th January 2014 at 4:39 pm

The cake looks spectacular! I like that you can see the contrasting layers of icing and cake, chocolate ganache doesn’t belong in tiramisu I think, although it would be very delicious.
    I love tiramisu but coffee really effects me so I never order it as a dessert in the evenings, i’d be buzzing all night. This cake sounds amazing though

11th January 2014 at 7:39 pm

Thank you Katie, it was fun to have a cake with contrasting colours – it makes a nice change. As a cake aficionado, I was pleased to get your corroboration about the chocolate ganache.

6. Janine

11th January 2014 at 5:00 pm

Having seen this cake made by both you and at The Pink Whisk, I am definitely going to have to give it a try. It looks really good!

11th January 2014 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Janine – do try it and do let me know when you’ve posted about it.

7. Daphne Bryson

11th January 2014 at 5:01 pm

Good Evening to you, You had me at Tiramisu as I love it as a dessert, so I was certainly going to read your recipe and give this cake a go….. but not just yet, as we have over indulged over Christmas and so it is time to enjoy savoury food for a month or so, but when I feel the need for something sweet, I will certainly be baking your Tiramisu cake. My husband will be very impressed with your cake as not only does it sound fabulous but it looks fabulous as well.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

11th January 2014 at 7:29 pm

Good to hear from you Daphne. It’s hard not to indulge over Christmas, but I hope you enjoyed it. Would love to hear about your Tiramisu cake if you get around to baking it – especially as I didn’t get to try it.

8. Carolin

11th January 2014 at 9:07 pm

This looks amazing. I love tiramisu and turning it into a cake is a really really clever idea x

9. Javelin Warrior

11th January 2014 at 9:26 pm

I love the sound of this cake, Choclette. I’m personally a huge fan of chocolate with coffee and tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts, so I’m quite sure I’d love this cake. Because tiramisu + cake must be amazing…

12th January 2014 at 8:43 am

Thanks JW – I sort of guessed this one might be popular 😉

10. Deena Kakaya

12th January 2014 at 12:28 am

Whoa, look at that! My mum is going to love this xx

12th January 2014 at 8:46 am

Thanks Deena, it seems to be a bit of a winner.

11. The KitchenMaid

12th January 2014 at 7:35 am

Ah, the great We Should Coffee Cocoa event… I think I’ve just about recovered from that epic challenge! I am in a weird minority with this as I love coffee, but rarely drink it for boring health reason. However I adore tiramisu, so in this case, I’ll definitely make an exception! Great adaptation of the recipe, I’m bookmarking!

12th January 2014 at 5:54 pm

Why is it that so many of the things we love to consume are bad for us? Well done for keeping off the coffee Lucy – moderation in all things …

12. Capture by Lucy

12th January 2014 at 11:03 am

Wow – stunning the layers look so moorish! #recipeoftheweek

12th January 2014 at 5:56 pm

Thank you Lucy – all these positive comments are making me wish I’d been able to try some after all 😉

13. The Caked Crusader

12th January 2014 at 2:45 pm

I’m always on the look out for good coffee cake recipes as it’s my dad’s favourite. I think this just made the list – it’s huge!

12th January 2014 at 5:58 pm

Haha, huge it most certainly was CC – sounds like a good one for your dad.

14. belleau kitchen

12th January 2014 at 5:33 pm

now this is one hell of a cake!… I know you’re not a big fan of coffee but come on, how you this not be a winner… this really looks stunning and I do so badly want a slice right now! Glad to catch up on all your posts and Happy New Year x

12th January 2014 at 5:59 pm

Yay, you’re back Dom. Expect if I’d been able to try a slice, I’d probably have quite liked this, but I’ll never know now!

15. Kate@whatkatebaked

12th January 2014 at 6:06 pm

I’m sure this was very gratefully received by your Mum and friends. And I completely agree a doubt Ruth’s bakes- reliable recipes and good little twists on classics make her website very popular in my kitchen!

13th January 2014 at 5:27 pm

Oh that’s interesting Kate. Do you have any particular recommendations?

16. Alida

12th January 2014 at 9:18 pm

I couldn’t possibly miss this one! This is a superb tiramisu’ much better than the traditional one made with biscuits. Really really well done!!

13th January 2014 at 5:28 pm

Thank you Alida – high praise coming from you 🙂

17. Baking Addict

13th January 2014 at 12:29 am

I love coffee bakes even though I don’t like drinking coffee and this cake looks amazing!! Wish I could have a slice of it now!

13th January 2014 at 5:30 pm

Strange that Ros. CT doesn’t like drinking coffee either, but he loves the flavour in cakes and chocolate.

18. Alison

13th January 2014 at 9:17 am

Oh my, that looks gorgeous

19. Nutritious Deliciousness

14th January 2014 at 4:53 pm

Now that is a cake! Fabulous, love chocolate cake! #recipeoftheweek

20. Jane Sarchet

14th January 2014 at 9:44 pm

Totally drooling here 🙂 Love it!

16th January 2014 at 3:46 pm

Thank you Jane, very good of you. Going to have to come up with a good dairy free alternative soon.

21. Kirsty Phillipson-Lowe

16th January 2014 at 11:58 am

Mmmmm this looks and sounds delicious!!! #RecipeoftheWeek

22. prwilson