Dulce de Leche Brownies

Having read loads of brownie recipes recently on various blogs I had brownies on the brain – nothing new there of course. So finding a rather ancient jar of organic dulce de leche gathering dust in the back of the cupboard, I knew exactly which brownies I was going to make. I took the recipe from Celia’s wonderful blog Fig and Lime Cordial where the pictures looked most mouthwatering.

This is how I did it:
  • Melted 125g unsalted butter in a large pan with 100g 70% dark chocolate and 200g dark brown sugar.
  • Mixed in 30g cocoa and removed pan from heat.
  • Beat in 3 duck eggs, one at a time.
  • Stirred in 1 tsp vanilla extract and pinch of sea salt.
  • Sieved in 140g wholemeal flour and stirred until all incorporated.
  • Poured mixture into a 9″ cake thingy.
  • Spooned blobs of dulce de leche (250g) over the brownie mixture and then ran a knife through the mixture a few times to create a swirl effect.
Oh me, oh my, but what did I do? I went and overcooked the brownies! What a shame, I really like my brownies gooey, not cake like and I was so disappointed. CT tucked into them with relish and said they were delicious, if a tad on the sweet side. I thought they were OK. I liked the contrast between the soft bits of toffee and the cakey texture and thought the swirly patterns were fun. If someone had offered me this as a slice of cake I’d probably have been quite happy, but as a brownie, it just didn’t do it for me. Next time I’m in the mood for brownies I shall try making Celia’s butterscotch brownies, which look even more delicious and I shall probably go and muck those up too!

1. Gill the Painter

1st July 2010 at 7:19 am

I do understand that the texture should be gooey, so that’s a shame indeed, Choclette.

But on the occasions I’ve tried my painting partner’s chocolate brownies, I’ve liked it better the second day, when drier.

So this one would suit me down to the ground.

2. Priya

1st July 2010 at 7:48 am

Incredible brownies, looks gorgeous and droolworthy..

3. Lucie

1st July 2010 at 9:10 am

I feel your pain! 🙂 It’s such a shame when brownies aren’t gooey in the middle – a wonderful recipe though and they do look lovely. Lucie x

4. Jacqueline

1st July 2010 at 10:11 am

Oh and I meant to say, I like cakey and fudgey brownies, both are fab 😉

5. Jacqueline

1st July 2010 at 10:13 am

My original comment has disappeared into the blog black hole. I was saying I was drooling and this is one I will try and that is would save so much time if you just became my personal baker 🙂

6. Emmalene

1st July 2010 at 11:18 am

Yum, they look spectacular.

has Brownievillegirl seen these yet??

7. Kath

1st July 2010 at 10:41 am

Well they don’t look like you’ve mucked up. That bit of gooey caramel looks very tempting indeed.

8. Nicisme

1st July 2010 at 10:49 am

Oh I’m a fan of gooey brownies, any brownies really but these do look so wonderful with that dulce de leche staring me in the face!!

9. dana

1st July 2010 at 3:13 pm

that picture looks very good to me, i love anything toffee. i was thinking of celia’s butterscotch ones just this morning 🙂 but it think i may try both now. dulce de leche is just too good ot pass up.

1st July 2010 at 6:13 pm

I am so stealing this recipe!
    ;0)

11. somesaycocoa

1st July 2010 at 7:03 pm

I know exactly what you are going thru. Overcooked brownies are heartbreaking but I find they go rather well with icecream (to moisten them).

1st July 2010 at 7:24 pm

Gill, I was just in the mood for something really gooey. They were fine really and kept well.

Thanks Priya

Lucie – glad someone understands me 😉

Jac – I know the feeling, there are a number of people I would love to have running a very local to me bakery. Things always seem to taste nicer if someone else has made them.

Kath – doesn’t take much to make me feel better, so thank you for that.

Nicisme – they are definitely worth making, just don’t leave them in the oven a moment longer than they need – whatever that is!

Emmalene – Thanks. If BVG hasn’t made these yet, I’m sure she soon will.

Dana – There are just so many brownie recipes and I think I probably want to make all of them.

Chele – go right ahead

Gillian – a good excuse for ice cream then.

13. Rhyleysgranny

1st July 2010 at 8:49 pm

You have a lovely blog. I am so glad I found it. I am going to try your brownies. The marriage of chocolate and dulce de leche is too much to resist.

14. Brownieville Girl

1st July 2010 at 9:12 pm

I have to say they don’t look overcooked.

It really is a fantastic combination.

15. cityhippyfarmgirl

1st July 2010 at 10:27 pm

I agree, they don’t look over cooked. I would gobble that one up in a heart beat.

16. Liz

2nd July 2010 at 7:13 am

I think these sound fab…so easy to overcook brownies tho’, I’ve done it too many times. I made some salted caramel sauce last week – so these brownies give me an idea….

17. Celia

2nd July 2010 at 9:47 am

Choclette, thanks for trying the recipe, and the kind words! 🙂

I’m sorry they weren’t quite what you were after, but the photo look fabulous! When I tried the recipe (originally by David Lebovitz), it really was better on day 2…

18. Michele

2nd July 2010 at 3:38 pm

Hi Choclette. I can relate to your feelings about overcooked brownies. As you know, I am firmly in the gooey camp. Nevertheless, your post has given me an idea that’s been lurking in my mind for a few weeks now – brownies with globs of peanut butter in it. I love dulce de leche (who doesn’t?), but like you don’t like really sweet brownies. I’ll let you know how the peanut butter ones work out.

19. Wendy@The Omnivorous Bear

2nd July 2010 at 2:52 pm

Aha…. a recipe to use up the last of my home made dulce de leche! That is so bizarre….Synchronicity, eh Choclette? Thanks, I shall try it this weekend!

2nd July 2010 at 8:02 pm

OMG total indulgence – mmmmm!

21. belleaukitchen

2nd July 2010 at 9:50 pm

time to get off my arse and actually make one of your chocolate recipes… I’m thinking of the Spiced orange and Choc brownies… someone made one of my chocolate roullade recipes the other day and they said it was a great success which game me such a great feeling that it actually worked!!

3rd July 2010 at 1:15 am

oh these are so tempting – surely a few of my favourite things

3rd July 2010 at 6:21 am

Rhyleys Granny – Thank you for the kind words and for following.

BVG – Have you used this combination before? I don’t remember seeing them on your blog – will have to go and have another look.

CityHippy – I still managed to gobble them up, of course!

Liz – umm, I like the sound of your idea.

Celia – you are right, they were better on day 2.

Wendy – that was a bit weird I thought. Thanks for the recipe for making dulce de leche the less scary way.

Michele – look forward to hearing about your peanut butter brownies. Good idea, my mouth is watering already.

Janice – as you know I’m not backwards when it comes to indulging!

Dominic – oh goodie, please do. It does feel good when people want to make something you’ve made – as long as it isn’t a total flop that is. I did have a look for a chocolate roulade recipe on your blog, but couldn’t find it.

Thanks Johanna – tempting indeed, it’s my downfall.

24. Made2Order

4th July 2010 at 3:48 am

you know what you should do with overbaked brownies?! you freeze them until they are semi stiff, then cut’em up into tiny cubes and sprinkle them over ice cream!! VOILLLAAAA!! gourmet lol.

4th July 2010 at 11:24 am

Made2Order – thank you, fantastic advice. Will try that next time (although I would rather not overcook them in the first place).

26. Made2Order

4th July 2010 at 4:39 pm

of course of course~

27. Foodycat

4th July 2010 at 5:12 pm

That little nugget of the caramel in the brownie looks so appetising!

28. The Caked Crusader

5th July 2010 at 7:32 am

I have love in my heart for all brownies – the drier ones are great with ice cream!
    Love dulce de leche so I bet the flavour was great

29. Chocolate Corporate Gifts

5th July 2010 at 9:00 am

when one talks about brownies, I can really relate..I love them!

30. Margaret

5th July 2010 at 8:34 am

The brownies look delicious with the dulce de leche running through them.

31. Catherine

5th July 2010 at 11:14 am

That brownie looks… divine! I think it would work wonderfully with a big dollop of ice cream, just to moisten it up of course :p

32. oxslip

5th July 2010 at 5:56 pm

oh my, I’m trying to eat less cake as I’m getting so tubby but these look amazing…I’ll wait for a trip to someone’s house and pretend I’m baking for them maybe

5th July 2010 at 8:28 pm

FoodyCat – oh good, are you back on line now?

CC – my trouble is I have love in my stomach for brownies.

Margaret – thank you

CCG – gooey ones are best though?

Catherine – thank you. It seems the ice-cream approach is the way to go.

Oxslip – I find that approach to be a very good ploy!

34. Hazel

10th July 2010 at 5:13 pm

The brownies still look incredible despite overcooking them! I have always loved dulce de leche and have never seen it in brownies before.

7th February 2013 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Hazel. Apologies for the rather long time it’s taken me to reply. Not sure how I missed it. Looking at them again now, I think I need to make some more.

35. Anne Wallwin

7th February 2013 at 1:51 pm

worth a go at the weekend.

7th February 2013 at 8:28 pm

And did you ever try them Anne?

36. Alana Walker

7th February 2013 at 3:00 pm

These look right up my street. Been obssessed with Dulce de Leche since I lived in Madrid for a while. Yum.x

7th February 2013 at 8:29 pm

Living in Madrid sounds very exciting. All I know about Spanish food is paella and tapas!

37. Tracy K Nixon

15th August 2013 at 4:02 am

These look so moist! I would have one of these with a nice glass of cool milk!