A few weeks ago, we were invited to a 60th birthday party, so something a bit special was called for. Having been impressed with the chocolate cupcakes I’d made from the Primrose Bakery cookbook, I thought I’d try their recipe for chocolate layer cake – only with a twist, a coffee twist.
Again, I was impressed with this cake and give the yogurt some of the credit for the lightness and superior texture. Yogurt was not in the original recipe. Being in a bit of a hurry, the cake had not sufficiently cooled when I put the icing on, hence its tendency to slip off, as you can see in the photo. All I can say is, the Birthday Boy and party goers were happy with the end product.
Chocolate Mocha Cake – The Recipe
- 200g dark chocolate (70%)
- 170g unsalted butter – softened
- 350g soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs – separated (I used duck eggs)
- 370g flour (½ wholemeal & ½ plain) together with
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp rock or sea salt
- 2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 250ml water
- 250g Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of hot water. Make sure the hot water is sealed so that steam can’t get into the chocolate and that the bowl doesn’t touch the hot water. Once melted leave to cool slightly.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks followed by the chocolate.
- Sift in the flour together with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add this to the butter mixture alternately with the coffee water.
- Stir in the yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture as carefully as you can.
- Divide the batter between two 21cm round silicon cake moulds and bake at 180℃ (160℃ fan, 350℉, Gas 4) for about 30 minutes. The cakes are done when the tops are firm to the touch and an inserted skewer comes out more or less clean.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Coffee Butter Icing
- 150g unsalted butter – softened
- 300g icing sugar – sifted
- 2 tsp instant coffee (dissolved in a little water)
- 1 tbsp milk
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the coffee and milk and beat well.
- Use half of the mixture to sandwich the cakes together and the other half to ice the top.
- Decorate with chocolate coffee beans if liked.