Chocolate Mocha Layer Cake
A few weeks ago, we were invited to a 60th birthday party, so something a bit special was called for. Having been impressed with the chocolate cupcakes I’d made from the Primrose Bakery cookbook, I thought I’d try their recipe for chocolate layer cake – only with a twist, a coffee twist.
- Melted 200g dark chocolate 70% & left to cool slightly.
- Creamed 170g unsalted butter with 350g soft brown sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in 3 duck egg yolks followed by the chocolate.
- Sifted 370g flour (1/2 wholemeal & 1/2 white) together with 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1.5 tsp bicarb of soda and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Added this to the butter mixture alternately with 250ml water.
- Stirred in 250g Greek yogurt and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Whisked eggs whites from the 3 eggs until still and folded this into the mixture.
- Divided mixture between two 21cm cake thingies and baked at 180C for about 30 mins.
- Left to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Mixed 150g unsalted butter, 300g icing sugar, 2 tsp instant coffee (dissolved in a little water) and 1 tbsp milk together.
- Used half of the mixture to sandwich the cakes together and the other half to ice the top.
- Decorated with chocolate coffee beans.