Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cake
I’m not generally a fan of chocolate chip cakes, but this one, from the Green and Black’s recipe book, sounded interesting with its crunchy cinnamon topping so I thought I’d give it a go.
- Melted 4oz unsalted butter in a pan with 8oz granulated sugar.
- Meanwhile sifted 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder with 1lb of mixed plain flours (wholemeal spelt, Cotehele wholemeal, white spelt and gluten free flour (I generally like to cook with wholemeal spelt, but have found that mixing in other flours makes for a lighter mix).
- Added 1 bar of chopped 70% dark chocolate (I used Divine this time, but most often use Green and Blacks).
- Made a well in the centre and poured in butter mixture.
- Mixed this in with 2 duck eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract and about 1/2 pt natural yogurt.
- Spooned this into 23cm round silicone cake baker thingy – silicone cake bakers have transformed my baking experience. I used to be so put off by having to cut bits of paper and try and get them to stick to the sides of the tin – definitely too much faffing around. Now I don’t even have to think about all that pre-preparation stuff.
- Topped cake with 4 tbsp demerara sugar mixed with 1 roughly ground cinnamon stick.
- Poured over 3oz melted unsalted butter
- Baked in a preheated oven at 180°C (gas 4) for about 40 mins (cakes always seem to burn in my electric oven if I leave them in as long as the recipe says – so you may need more time).