Carrot Cake Flapjacks – Autumn in a Bliss Filled Bite
Carrot cake is one of our nation’s favourite cakes, apparently. Who would have thought something as healthy as carrots would appeal to such an extent? As I was dreaming autumn thoughts the other day, I had a sudden urge to try making carrot cake in flapjack form. It worked beautifully and these carrot cake flapjacks are just the best.
I have a great fondness for flapjacks. They’re quick and easy to make, keep well and are very tasty. They also require little in the way of washing up – win win. I often add fruit to my flapjacks, but I’d never tried adding carrots and walnuts before. What a great invention. The carrot cake flapjacks are flavoured with warming spices and flecked with autumnal gold. They are a little bit crumbly, but look rather fine I feel.
I’d be interested to know what unusual ingredients you’ve added to flapjacks and what you thought of the results. Or do you have any amazing bakes you use carrot in?
- 145 g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 1 heaped tbsp golden syrup
- 85g (3oz) light muscovado sugar
- 250g (9oz) rolled oats
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 large organic carrot - washed and grated
- 50g (2oz) walnuts - roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon ( I used 3 drops of Holy Lama Spice Drops)
- grating of nutmeg (I used 1 drop of Holy Lama Spice Drops)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a gently heat with the syrup and sugar.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press into a 22cm (9") sq silicon mould or lined tin.
- Bake at 180℃ for 15 minutes or until the top is set and golden.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into twelve slices.
They also go to Feeding Boys for Simple & In Season.
And lastly, I’m sharing these carrot cake flapjacks with Bake of the Week at Casa Costello.
Other carrot bake recipes you might like
- Beetroot, carrot & goat’s cheese muffins via Tin and Thyme
- Apple & carrot crumble via Munchies and Munchkins
- Carrot & chocolate chip cakes via Tin and Thyme
- Carrot cake muffins via FoodieQuine
- Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting via Jo’s Kitchen
- Vegan carrot cupcakes via Planet Veggie