White Chocolate & Strawberry Cake
Tis the strawberry season – hoorah! So, with a picnic in mind, what could I do but make another strawberry cake. I’d actually been long awaiting the opportunity to try a rather gorgeous looking cake in Divine. I mostly managed to follow the recipe, although I creamed the mixture rather than whisked it (reluctantly been well and truly won over by this method) and accidentally added a bit more sugar than I should have done. This is what I did:
- Melted 150g white chocolate (used Green & Black’s as this is still the best I’ve come accross).
- Creamed together 200g unsalted butter with 175g soft brown sugar.
- Beat in the slightly cooled chocolate together with 3 duck eggs and the grated zest of 1/2 an orange (I only use organic lemons and oranges for this as I don’t trust what is otherwise sprayed onto the skins).
- Folded in 200g sifted flour (1/2 wholemeal & 1/2 white spelt) and 1 heaped tsp baking powder.
- Divided this mixture between 2 23cm cake thingies (again rather too big for this quantity, but I use what I’ve got) and baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 20 mins.
- Washed a punnet of strawberries and left to drain.
- Selected 12 of the best looking strawberries and sliced the remainder into a bowl.
- Added juice and grated zest of 1/2 orange and mixed in 1 heaped tsp granulated sugar.
- Melted 40g white chocolate.
- Whipped 200ml double cream until stiff.
- Mixed in slightly cooled chocolate.
- Spooned strawberries and juice over one of the sponges, then covered with cream and placed remaining sponge on top.
- Quartered the remaining strawberries and decorated the top.
- Covered whole with 10g grated chocolate.