Snowdon Pudding – Take Your Dessert to Greater Heights

Snowdon Pudding

A good old fashioned rib sticking steamed suet pudding from North Wales. Snowdon pudding, as it’s called, is flavoured with lemon zest and marmalade. Recipe for lemon sauce included as it makes a lovely accompaniment.

This post may contain affiliate links. See my cookie and privacy statement for further details.

Last year I visited North Wales for the very first time and completely fell in love with it. We had a view of Snowdon from our bedroom window and we got a lot of walking done. We didn’t, however, get even a sniff of Snowdon pudding, which is a bit of a shame as it’s the sort of rib sticker that would have helped sustain us on our treks up hill and down dale.

My mother had a particular fondness for suet puddings. So I was lucky enough to be brought up with a succession of steamed treats such as treacle pudding, Sussex pond pudding and spotted dick, of course. The love of these has never left me, even though I now use vegetarian suet rather than lard. So when cottages.com challenged me to try my hand at Snowdon Pudding, known in the local vernacular as Pwdin Eryri, I seized the opportunity to dig out my pudding bowl.

Snowdon Pudding with Lemon Sauce

I like to try regional recipes wherever I visit. We managed to track down some teisen berffro biscuits which are a local speciality on nearby Anglesey, but as previously mentioned, Snowdon pudding passed us by.

Snowdon Pudding with Lemon Sauce.

It was first created in the Victorian era along with most other steamed suet puddings and was served at that time in the hotel at the foot of Mount Snowdon to refuel walkers after their return from the summit. It’s perfect fuel for yomping around in the mountains of Snowdonia.

An old mate of CT’s has the fun job of walking to the top of Snowdon regularly to take the weather readings. I bet he’d go up a bit faster if he knew a slice of steaming Snowdon pudding was waiting for him when he got back.

I was delighted to find that one of the ingredients for the pudding was lemon marmalade. It just so happens that I have a large stock of my homemade version in the cupboard.

Snowdon pudding is traditionally served with a sweet wine sauce, but I used a tart lemon one instead. As I hoped, this elevated the lemon zest and lemon marmalade flavourings of the pudding and cut through its richness.

Snowdon Pudding

Here’s a picture of my magnificent massif, suitably supported with a posy of Welsh poppies.

The pudding itself was up there with the best of my mother’s offerings. As usual I couldn’t quite stick to the recipe and I substituted wholemeal breadcrumbs for the white ones specified in the original. When I make this again and I really think I will, I’ll reduce the amount of suet to about 60g as there did seem to be rather a lot of it.

Staying in Snowdonia

If you love holidaying in the UK like we do, I can highly recommend Snowdonia as a top destination. It’s stunningly beautiful in a majestic sort of way. There’s plenty to do, even if hiking isn’t your thing: castles, museums, stately homes, gardens and beaches to name but a few.

And I was really impressed with the vegetarian and vegan offerings in the local cafes and restaurants. CT certainly thought things had come 0n since his time living there last century.

Self-catering cottages are a fantastic way to make the most of local food. This cottage, Preswylfa, is located in the Vale of Ffestiniog, in the middle of the Snowdonia National Park and is an ideal location for exploring this spectacular region. Don’t forget a ride on the Festiniog Railway and a tour of the local slate caverns.

Preswylfa Kitchen

When not out and about, you can sit out in the garden and enjoy the views. And if it rains (it does sometimes), get cosy in the kitchen and knock up a Snowdon pudding. The kitchen is well equipped, so you should find everything you need. If you’re of a literary persuasion, you might like to read a novel by Victorian writer, Elizabeth Gaskell; she was fond of this area and spent some time here on her wedding tour.

Other Traditional British Puddings You Might Like

Stay in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you try this recipe for Snowdon pudding, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Snowdon Pudding. PIN IT.

Zesty Lemon Snowdon Pudding.

Snowdon Pudding with Lemon Sauce – The Recipe

Print Pin
5 from 5 votes

Snowdon Pudding with Lemon Sauce

A good old fashioned rib sticking steamed suet pudding from North Wales. Flavoured with lemon zest and marmalade, lemon sauce makes a good accompaniment.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time1 hr 45 mins
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: Welsh
Keyword: lemons, pudding, sauce, steamed pudding, suet
Servings: 6 people
Calories: 416kcal
Author: Choclette

Snowdon Pudding

• 100 g suet (I used vegetarian suet)
  • 15 g rice flour or cornflour (I used semolina)
  • 75 g brown sugar (I used light muscovado)
  • 100 g breadcrumbs (I used wholemeal breadcrumbs)
  • 50 g raisins
  • 3 eggs (I used duck eggs)
  • 75 g lemon marmalade (I used my own homemade)
  • Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon (I used organic which is always unwaxed)

Lemon Sauce

• 200 ml water
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 50 g golden granulated sugar
  • juice of ½ a lemon
  • 20 g salted butter

Snowdon Pudding

• Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, except for a handful of raisins.
  • Break the eggs into the bowl, add the marmalade and stir into the dry mixture until mixed.
  • Grease a pudding basin and put the handful of raisins at the bottom.
  • Pour in the mixture, cover with greaseproof paper and tie a cloth over the top.
  • Place in a large pan with about 5-6 cm of simmering water in the bottom. Cover and steam for 1½ hrs, checking the water level from time to time.
  • Turn out and serve with lemon sauce.

Lemon Sauce

• Mix the cornflour with a little of the water in a cup or bowl and set aside.
  • Heat the rest of the water with the sugar in a pan over a moderate heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Pour a little into the cornflour mix and stir. Pour this back into the pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
  • Add the lemon juice and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
  • Turn the heat off and stir in the butter.

Nutrition

Calories: 416kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 193mg | Potassium: 180mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 202IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg

Sharing

I’m sharing my Snowdon pudding with Apply to Face Blog for #BakingCrumbs. They also go to Cooking With My Kids for #CookBlogShare.

My thanks to cottages.com for sponsoring this post. They did not expect me to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own. This post contains affiliate links to Amazon*. Links are marked with an *. If you buy through a link it won’t cost you any more, but I’ll get a small commission. Thank you for your support of the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

12th June 2016 at 2:05 pm

Your pudding looks magnificent – I wish I could find vegetarian suet in Australia (and that it isn’t so far to travel to snowdonia – would love to visit)

12th June 2016 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Johanna. I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with vegetarian suet. I was so excited when they first made it and it works really well as a substitute, but I’m a bit wary about the oils used.

2. Angie@Angie's Recipes

12th June 2016 at 3:06 pm

I have never made a suet pudding…it looks so very tempting!

12th June 2016 at 9:15 pm

They are a very British thing Angie and old-fashioned too – made for filling you up 😉

3. Katharine

12th June 2016 at 6:31 pm

Your recipe sounds lovely and I think the lemon sauce would go perfectly. What you say is so true, I live within 1 hour’s drive of Snowdon and have never seen the pudding on any restaurant menu around here!

12th June 2016 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Katharine. I think serving any kind of suet pudding is a rarity these days – they are well and truly out of fashion. I didn’t realise you were up in North Wales, I’m quite envious.

4. janie

12th June 2016 at 8:45 pm

Snowdon is such a stunning area isn’t it? I’d love to go back with more time on my hands to explore 🙂
    Janie x

12th June 2016 at 9:18 pm

Oh yes, me too Janie. We saw quite a bit in the week we were up there, but so much we didn’t see.

5. Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs

12th June 2016 at 9:36 pm

Snowdon pudding aside (which looks fantastic by the way) how stunning is that cottage kitchen?! I’d be happy if that was my HOME kitchen let alone the one I got to cook in on holiday 😛 I’m so desperate to get away but don’t have any holiday days left 🙁 maybe later in the year…

13th June 2016 at 3:27 pm

I know exactly what you mean Emma – on all fronts 😉

6. Heidi Roberts

12th June 2016 at 10:23 pm

Gosh, I can’t remember the last time I had a steamed sponge pudding – what a great idea to keep the old recipes going.

13th June 2016 at 3:30 pm

It’s the first one I’ve had in a very long time Heidi and it was thoroughly enjoyed 😉

7. Corina

13th June 2016 at 11:47 am

I love Snowdon – had a great long weekend there a few years ago but I never got to try out Snowdown Pudding. It would have been lovely to eat after we’d got back from walking up the mountain!

13th June 2016 at 3:32 pm

I have to confess we didn’t actually walk up the mountain or even go there, but a piece of the pudding would have been very welcome nonetheless 😉

8. Aimee

13th June 2016 at 2:36 pm

I did think you were mad for making a steamed pudding in this heat but actually it looks like it was so worth it! Gorgeous pudding!

13th June 2016 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Aimee, I thought I was a little mad myself, but it really was worth it in the end 🙂

9. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

13th June 2016 at 2:40 pm

I’ve walked up (and down) Mount Snowdon and this pudding would have been very welcome afterwards!

13th June 2016 at 3:34 pm

Well done you Cathy. I’ve not actually been up Snowdon but I think a piece of this pudding should be mandatory for all who have done so 😉

10. Kavey

13th June 2016 at 6:00 pm

I’ve never heard of Snowdon Pudding before but this does look delicious. I love North Wales, even though I’m not a big walker, it’s just so beautiful.

13th June 2016 at 7:02 pm

It really is beautiful Kavey. If it didn’t rain so much, I’d love to live there.

11. Catherine

13th June 2016 at 6:08 pm

What a beautiful place! I would love to visit…this sounds like such a wonderful treat as well. xo, Catherine

13th June 2016 at 7:18 pm

Having been to North Wales once, I’d love to go again and I’d be very happy to stay in this cottage Catherine 😉

12. Lisa

13th June 2016 at 7:26 pm

Well now I want to book a flight across the pond and a stay in Snowdon! Your pudding sounds rich and delectable, and with lemon sauce…..I can almost taste it from just your photos and description!

13th June 2016 at 8:28 pm

Aww, thank Lisa. A trip across the pond has got to be worth doing surely 😉 The pudding is, perhaps, a bit more achievable.

13. Ludmilla

13th June 2016 at 9:15 pm

When I had for the first time a long time ago snowdon pudding was with lemon toffee sauce and it was delicious. Your pudding looks delicious!

13th June 2016 at 9:21 pm

Ooh yes, lemon toffee sauce sounds like a fine accompaniment Ludmilla. Lovely idea.

14. Natalie Tamara

13th June 2016 at 9:43 pm

This looks beautiful! I haven’t had suet puddings since I was a child but always used to love it. I’ll second what a gorgeous part of the country North Wales is too! Did you visit Portmeirion when you were there?

14th June 2016 at 9:26 am

Yes, suet puds don’t normally feature on our dinner table either, but I really enjoyed it. We were further up staying near Llanberis, so no I didn’t get to Portmeirion. I definitely need to go back and stay longer, there’s so much to see and do.

15. the caked crusader

19th June 2016 at 2:52 pm

I’m sure suet puddings made my generation what we are! Nowadays, I tend to make a spongier steamed pud, than suet, but I remember with great fondness spotted dick or jam roly poly

22nd June 2016 at 9:56 am

Oh me too CC. I might see if I can persuade my mum to make one again this winter, she makes the best suet puds but hasn’t done one in years.

22nd January 2020 at 4:10 pm

This sounds like a wonderful pudding. Just the thing for cold days.

22nd January 2020 at 7:25 pm

I do love a good steamed pudding, I just don’t get around to making them very often.

17. Helen - Cooking with my kids

22nd January 2020 at 9:38 pm

I’ve never heard of a snowdon pudding. It looks good though – just the thing for this time of year! #CookBlogShare

23rd January 2020 at 7:53 am

Yes indeed, proper rib-sticking comfort food.

18. Rosemary

24th January 2020 at 11:16 am

This looks like the perfect pudding for a cold January day! I love old fashioned puddings but have never come across this one. Lemon is one of my favourite pudding flavours so will definitely be giving it a go.

24th January 2020 at 7:51 pm

I grew up with suet puddings galore, but never this one. It’s fabulous if you like lemon but pretty good anyway.

19. Jenny Walters

25th January 2020 at 6:42 am

What a fabulous recipe. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as lemon marmalade! Feeling very uneducated but absolutely uplifted by this pudding. It looks and sounds delicious. Obviously I love steamed puddings with a passion so have earmarked this one as soon as I find some lemon marmalade! We visited Snowdon last year in our caravan and it rained non stop for the 3 days we were there! However it was so beautiful that we will be back and that cottage looks a much better bet! Thank you so much for linking to #BakingCrumbs

25th January 2020 at 10:10 am

Well if you speak to purists like my mother, there is only one thing that can be called marmalade and that’s seville orange marmalade. But lemon marmalade has been a thing ever since I can remember. Oh I hope you have better luck next time with the weather. I’ve only ever been to North Wales once and we were lucky to get a whole week of dry weather.

20. Sylvie

27th January 2020 at 10:15 pm

I had never heard of Snowdon Puddings before but it looks delicious! Love the addition of lemon in it, definitely a great way to add lots of flavours!

28th January 2020 at 5:09 pm

Well I have to say, before I made it, I’d never heard of it either. It’s a shame it’s so little known, because it’s really good.