Raw Chocolate Banana Mousse

Banana Chocolate Mousse

The combination of avocado and chocolate is my no means a new one. It is seen as a fruit in many parts of the world and treated as such, with chocolate sauce often smothering it. However, it’s a completely new combination to me. I’ve been wanting to try it for a long time now, but was finally spurred on by Louise’s recipe for chocolate mousse that she posted earlier this month.

So when I was contacted by Sainsbury’s to feature fairtrade bananas I already had a good idea what I wanted to do. I was pleased to learn that all of the bananas sold by Sainsbury’s are fairtrade and have been since 2007. They claim to sell more than all the other retailers put together. According to the Fairtrade Foundation, the UK’s purchase of fairtrade bananas is responsible for keeping the Windward Islands afloat (get it). They also enable many smallholders in other parts of the world to retain a living and improve their communities.

Banana Chocolate MousseIt’s January, we’re all trying to be good after the excesses of Christmas, so what could be better than a chocolate and banana pudding that is totally healthy and really good for you? I decided to create my own version of chocolate avocado mousse, making it a little more substantial and giving it the flavour of bananas. I also wanted to make this a completely raw dessert as many claim there are additional benefits to eating food in its raw state. Here is my ABC of some of the alleged health benefits:

Avocado – beneficial for cardiovascular disease and diabetes, helps with weight management, enhances body’s ability to absorb nutrients and is high in potassium.

Banana – high in antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, fibre, magnesium, mangenese and copper.

Chocolate – raw cocoa in particular is full of antioxidants and is said to be good for the heart, as well as relieving tension and giving feelings of well-being. The essential fatty acids may raise good cholesterol and reduce bad. There is still a lot of controversy as to whether this is true of the roasted chocolate we are all more familiar with.

The mousse was creamy and soft but not runny. It was certainly rich although it had the consistency of a chocolate pot rather than that of a mousse. One coffee cup was enough at one sitting. Although we couldn’t taste the avocado, it gave a substantial creamy richness in an “I can’t believe it’s not butter” kind of way. There is no mistaking the banana flavour and the chocolate is quite powerful too. The nutmeg adds aromatic piquancy, just what is needed in this custardy creation. CT thought it was a real tropical delight, unlike the weather we’ve recently been experiencing. He described it as a one pot wonder. He then blew it all with his unflattering remarks about reliving his baby food experiences – bet he was never lucky enough to get anything as good as this in his infancy.
0 from 0 votes
Raw Chocolate Banana Mousse
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

A rich and creamy chocolate mousse that is not only delicious, but also healthy and made entirely with raw ingredients. It’s dairy, gluten and refined sugar free as well as being vegan. It’s also very simple to make. The date syrup used for sweetening can be exchanged for agave nectar or honey.
Servings: 4
Author: Choclette
  • 2 medium ripe bananas – peeled
  • 1 ripe avocado – peeled
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder (I used raw cocoa)
  • 2 tbsp date syrup
  • a pinch rock salt
  • a squeeze (1 tsp) lemon juice
  • a good grating nutmeg
  1. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and whizz until everything is thoroughly combined and smooth.
  2. Spoon into 4 serving dishes.
Recipe Notes

Can be eaten immediately or kept covered in the fridge for a couple of days.

I’m sending this over to Javelin Warrior for his Made with Love Mondays as everything is entirely made from scratch – such a hard job as it was 😉

As this is uber healthy, I’m also sending it over to Franglais Kitchen and How to Cook Good Food for One Ingredient, which this month is healthy.

Disclosure. I was sent a Sainsbury’s voucher to buy the ingredients for this recipe. There was no requirement to write a positive review. As always, all opinions are my own.

1. Lou, Eat Your Veg

29th January 2014 at 2:08 pm

Oh that sounds amazing Choclette! When I was thinking about making my Chocolate & Avocado Mousse (which I thank you very kindly for the mention of!) I thought of adding banana but being that I had none in it went without! Your recipe sounds exceedingly yummy, especially with the date syrup and nutmeg additions. And I hadn’t realised all Sainsbury’s bananas were fair trade, well done Sainsbury’s that’s a wonderful credential!

2. belleau kitchen

29th January 2014 at 2:26 pm

great post… absolutely fascinating, I would never have thought it and i’m so intrigued by this I’m going to have to make it. I imagine the date syrup adds quite a bit of sweetness too… really lovely post xx

3. Sylvia F.

29th January 2014 at 7:29 pm

Oh my! If I was in UK I would probably be in my kitchen making it right now! Delicious Choclette

4. Sathya Priya

29th January 2014 at 9:14 pm

Heard of avacados in baking untl recently .Can feel the simple,delicious ,creamy goodness in every bite ..

5. The Kitchenmaid

29th January 2014 at 9:29 pm

Oooh, yes, I make something like this all the time. You can do it with tofu too – which is an excellent way to sneak tofu into the diets of people who claim they don’t like it. Very kid-friendly too!

6. Baking Addict

29th January 2014 at 9:32 pm

I’ve made chocolate and avocado mousse, chocolate and banana but never all three together! This looks really good and I love that it’s healthier than regular mousse.

7. ManjiriK - sliceoffme

29th January 2014 at 9:45 pm

what a beautiful and simple recipe with raw ingredients , really liked how u have explained the health benefits as well. Can never imagine baby food this tasty! (espp the stuff they sell in supermarket isles – eeekkk!)

8. Deena Kakaya

30th January 2014 at 12:42 am

That looks so silky smooth, liking the date thing! X

9. Fiona Maclean

30th January 2014 at 8:39 am

Yum, even I might manage this one;)

10. Nell

30th January 2014 at 11:00 am

This looks delicious! Will definitely be giving it a try, thanks for the post.

11. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

30th January 2014 at 1:24 pm

I totally love the combo of ingredients in this. Avocado just rocks.

12. Javelin Warrior

30th January 2014 at 7:34 pm

Avocado is such an amazing fruit – perfect for both savory and sweet applications. And often, as you said, such a creative substitute for butter. This mousse looks and sounds wonderful and I love the addition of banana…

13. Jacqueline Meldrum

31st January 2014 at 4:20 pm

I make this for Cooper, but I use silken tofu in mine for extra protein. Your mousse looks gorgeous and I’m now craving an avocado, which I forgot to buy last night.

14. animation training Chennai

1st February 2014 at 7:36 am

Awesome post .i hope everybody will like your post

15. The Caked Crusader

2nd February 2014 at 5:19 pm

What an interesting mix of ingredients – I love how glossy it looks

16. Jane Sarchet

3rd February 2014 at 3:38 pm

Love, love love this! Am pinning it on my dairy free board, thanks Choclette!
    Janie x

17. Christian Halfmann

3rd February 2014 at 6:06 pm

Delicious chocolate mousse. I like the addition of banana. I still have to try this avocado thingy. I almost always do guacamole, when I get avocados.

18. prwilson

8th February 2014 at 9:20 pm

Looks delicious.

19. anyonita green

22nd February 2014 at 4:17 pm

Lookin good, girl! 🙂 Followed you here from Sainsbury’s Fairtrade roundup!