Raspberry Tarts

In a really busy year, this month seems to have been the busiest of the lot; I’ve tried to be creative by combining as many entries to blog challenges as possible – regular readers will have spotted this from earlier posts. I think I’ve done pretty well, but there are two further challenges I want to enter: One Ingredient and Classic French. In addition, I needed to bake something from Eric Lanlard’s latest book Chocolat which I was recently sent for review.

So how was I going to cover all three bases? With a few twists and turns, I used Eric’s take on the classic French Fruit Tart, but substituted his strawberries with raspberries.

This is how I made:

White Chocolate Raspberry Tarts

• Rubbed 100g unsalted butter into 150g of flour (half wholemeal spelt, half white) and 2 tbsp vanilla sugar (golden caster) until the butter disappeared.
  • Added a duck egg yolk and stirred it in to combine the mixture into a ball of dough.
  • Put into a plastic bag and placed in the fridge for 1 hour.
  • Rolled out on a floured surface and cut out circles to line six 9 cm tart cases, re-rolling as necessary.
  • Baked at 180C for 10 minutes until golden.
  • Left to cool.
  • Melted 50g of vanillary white chocolate (G&B) in a bowl over hot water then left to cool a little.
  • Whisked 150 ml double cream until peaks formed.
  • Stirred a large tbsp of the cream into the chocolate then added the chocolate to the rest of the cream and stirred gently until just combined to make Chantilly cream.
  • Spread about 1 tbsp of raspberry jam over the bottom of each tart case.
  • Divided the Chantilly cream between the tart cases and spread it over the jam.
  • Gently pressed some Cornish raspberries on top of the cream – a punnet’s worth.
  • Waited patiently for the rain to stop so I could photograph the tarts in good light, but it didn’t, hence the photos with only two tarts, which were taken the next day.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Tarts

These tarts were perfect, each component was delicious in its own right, but combined together, they were pure ambrosia. I would have been happy to eat the pastry all on its own: it was buttery and crumbly and maybe I’ve finally overcome my pastry jinx. As for that Chantilly cream, it was a pure dream, as the Big Bopper might have sung and I shall be using it again for sure. The sun-kissed Cornish raspberries were the icing on the cake, so to speak. If this recipe is anything to go by, delving deeper into Chocolat will be a pleasure.

I am entering these French Fruit Tarts into Classic French with Jen of Blue Kitchen Bakes. All rules are open to interpretation – I hope Jen will be generous and allow my entry.

Nazima of Franglais Kitchen has chosen raspberries as this month’s One Ingredient and I’m very glad she did or I might not have made these thoroughly decadent raspberry tarts. This challenge is co-hosted by Laura of How to Cook Good Food.

I’m also submitting these to Alpha Bakes with Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline of Caroline Makes where the letter is R for Raspberries.

Raspberries now being in season, I’m sending this off to Ren Behan’s Simple and in Season.

And as these would be perfect for outdoor eating I am also submitting them to Four Seasons Food, co-hosted by Anneli of Delicieux and Louisa of Chez Foti.

1. Victoria Lee

22nd June 2013 at 10:06 am

These look delicious, I would never have thought to use white chocolate to make a chantilly cream, but it sounds perfect

2. Foodycat

22nd June 2013 at 10:27 am

Those look delicious! Perfectly seasonal!

3. Susie @ Fold in the Flour

22nd June 2013 at 10:32 am

These look yummy – I love raspberries and white chocolate together! 🙂

4. Jen @ Blue Kitchen Bakes

22nd June 2013 at 12:02 pm

When the tarts look this good I think I can be lenient 🙂 Thanks for entering Classic French

5. laura@howtocookgoodfood

22nd June 2013 at 12:47 pm

How funny we both came up with raspberry tarts but also have different takes on the classic version. I think this has happened to us before, obviously have very similar tastes in baking. Good taste of course! I have been thinking about how good raspberry tarts can be and I think I will try yours out next. A very delicious entry for One Ingredient, thanks x

6. belleau kitchen

22nd June 2013 at 2:08 pm

They are absolutely so perfect looking. I do love Mr Lanlard. He makes damn fine patisserie. X

7. The Caked Crusader

23rd June 2013 at 4:13 pm

These look lovely – I do so prefer raspberries with white chocolate compared to dark.

8. Baking Addict

23rd June 2013 at 11:02 pm

I am loving your multi blog challenge recipes 🙂 This tart looks delicious – definitely better than the one at the tavern! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes

9. manu

24th June 2013 at 8:49 am

Beautiful tarts!!!
    Have a nice week

10. Bakersfield Photographer

24th June 2013 at 9:01 am

Lovely Tarts, really delicious looking tart. I better try these.

11. Alida

24th June 2013 at 9:40 am

Fruit tarts are my favourite dessert ever. I buy mini ones when I am in Italy and these days they are easily available in the UK too. Of course they will never be as good as homemade ones.
    Really well presented Choclette!

12. Anneli (Delicieux_fr)

24th June 2013 at 7:31 pm

Really beautiful delicate little tarts! White chocolate and raspberries is a match made in heaven so these must hit the spot! Thanks for this lovely dainty entry into Four Seasons Food 🙂

13. Nazima Franglais kitchen

8th July 2013 at 10:10 pm

Raspberry and Chocolate work so well together. I know it is particularly good with white chocolate so am really glad to see this pairing for this month’s One Ingredient. I love mini tarts like this – a perfectly portable treat.