Wholemeal Clotted Cream Shortbread with Chestnut Flour and Cinnamon
Well, Christmas is nearly upon us and this will be my last post now until next year. So I’m leaving you with these delicious wholemeal clotted cream shortbread with chestnut flour and cinnamon.
I usually make a ton of biscuits to gift to friends, family and neighbours, but I’ve been running really short of time this year. I made some gluten free chocolate pistachio biscotti and also some Christmas bliss balls a few days ago and thought that would be it. But Christmas really isn’t quite right without shortbread and I’ve still got nothing for the neighbours. Luckily, I’ve just managed to squeeze in these wholemeal clotted cream shortbread, which I adapted from the Rodda’s clotted cream shortbread recipe. I made mine with wholemeal flour, a little chestnut flour and flavoured them with cinnamon.
Gosh, they’re good!. CT’s just come in and demolished several. I had to tell him to stop or there would be none left for the neighbours. The chestnut flavour is a little understated, but it does contribute to the rather lovely texture. Rodda lodda loveliness.
- 125g salted butter (I used Rodda's) - softened
- 80g clotted cream (I used Rodda's)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 275g golden wholemeal flour (or half wholemeal half plain)
- 25g chesnut flour
- Icing sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Cream the butter, cream and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the cinnamon.
- Work in the flours until the mixture is crumbly.
- Bring it all together with your hands into a ball of dough.
- Roll out to the thickness of a £1 coin and stamp out whatever shapes you fancy.
- Bake at 160℃ for 10 minutes or until just golden.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.
I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Other shortbread recipes you might like
- Almond & cardamom rye shortbread via Tin and Thyme
- Chilli Christmas shortbread via Tin and Thyme
- Chocolate chip shortbread cookies via Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Chocolate cinnamon shortbread via Tin and Thyme
- Cocoa nib biscuits via Patisserie Makes Perfect
- Ginger shortbread via Tin and Thyme
- Finnish shortbread via Fab Food 4 All
- Matcha cocoa nibbed shortbread via Tin and Thyme
- Rosemary shortbread biscuits via Munchies and Munchkins
- Sweet basil & lemon shortbread via Tinned Tomatoes
- Vegan Christmas shortbread trees via Emily’s Recipes and Reviews
Wholemeal Clotted Cream Shortbread. PIN IT.