Whilst hunting around for the chocolate spice cake amongst my old recipe scraps, I came across one I had written down at least 15 years ago, but have never made. So, when unexpectedly invited to a BBQ this evening, I actually had something in mind. It not only looked like quite an easy recipe, but was also designed to be served as squares, so convenient for eating outdoors.
- Melted 5oz unsalted butter with 8oz soft brown sugar, 100g dark chocolate and 100g white chocolate
- Sieved 4oz wholemeal and 4oz white spelt into a bowl with 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Chopped 3oz walnuts and stirred into flour.
- Made a well in the centre and poured chocolate mixture into this.
- Stirred in together with two duck eggs and 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Spooned this into a 9in square silicone cake thingy and baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 20 mins (original recipe stated 30 mins, but I wanted a brownie effect).
- Allowed to cool, sieved over some cocoa powder and cut into 16 squares.