Chocolate & Salted Caramel Tart
I’ve had my eye on this recipe from Green and Black’s for some time – the salted caramel sounded rather exotic and the three impressively rich layers clinched it. So with friends coming to dinner this weekend, it seemed like an appropriate time to hopefully give them a real treat!
- Rubbed 3oz unsalted butter into 8oz flour (1/2 wholemeal and 1/2 white spelt) and 2oz icing sugar.
- Added 1 egg and a splash of water & combined to form a dough.
- Rolled this out using plenty of flour into a round to fit a 9in flan tin.
- Pricked the bottom and baked blind at 180°C (gas 4) for 10 mins (or until just cooked).
- Left to cool whilst made caramel.
- Put 8oz granulated sugar into a heavy bottomed pan and left on a low heat until liquid and the colour of caramel.
- Brought 4fl oz whipping cream and 1 tsp Cornish sea salt to the boil then poured into boiling caramel (did this gradually as mixture will rise rapidly and could cause burns).
- Took off the heat, added 1oz unsalted butter and stirred until smooth.
- Poured this into pastry case and then got on with the Chocolate Ganache.
- Brought 10fl oz whipping cream to the boil with 1/2 oz honey.
- Stirred in 100g broken dark chocolate until melted.
- Stirred in 2oz unsalted butter until melted.
- Poured this over the caramel then left in a cool place to set for 4 hours.
- Decorated with Forget-me-not flowers.