Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw – A Simple but Delicious Side

Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw

Salads, Sides | 19th May 2017 | By

Kohlrabi is one of those vegetables that’s lurking under the radar. Many people haven’t heard of it at all or if they have, they don’t know what to do with it. We had one delivered in our veg box this week along with a load of new season carrots. Instead of putting it on the veg rack to do something with later, I decided there was no time like the present and made this most delicious kohlrabi carrot slaw.

Kohlrabi

We’ve tried growing kohlrabi down on the plot a few times, but our success rate has not been high. For those not in the know, kohlrabi is a bulbous vegetable from the cabbage family. It’s actually a swollen stem rather than a root. Its name means turnip-cabbage in German, but it’s also known as German cabbage. Surprisingly for a northern vegetable, it’s also popular in India and Vietnam. It has a milld slightly sweet, slightly turnipy flavour. Its crisp texture works well in salads, stir-fries and gratins. The leafy greens sprouting from the top can also be eaten.

Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw

Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw

Ideally, I’d have sliced some spring onions into my kohlrabi carrot slaw, but I didn’t have any to hand. Luckily my chives are up and doing well, so I used a handful of those instead. A bit of lime to freshen it up, a small amount of mayonnaise for creaminess, a little mustard for heat, a few raisins for interest and job done. For an alternative vegan dressing, you could try the one I used in this orange ginger carrot salad.

We’ve been eating the kohlrabi carrot slaw with smashed avocado on toast or cheese toasties and it makes a satisfying and tasty accompaniment to both.

Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw – The Recipe

5 from 1 vote
Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw
Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

A delicious crunchy slaw dressed with lime and a barely discernible amount of mustardy mayonnaise.

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: British
Keywords: carrots, kohlrabi, salad, slaw
Servings: 8 people
Calories: 62 kcal
  • 1 medium sized kohlrabi
  • 4 large carrots - scrubbed
  • 1 lime - juiced
  • handful of chives
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp English mustard
  • 50 g raisins
  1. Peel the kohlrabi with a knife ensuring all the tough outer layers are removed, then cut into large chunks.
  2. Coarsely grate the kohlrabi and carrots. I used a food processor, which made the job a lot easier, although the gratings were finer than I'd have ideally had them.
  3. Place in a large bowl and stir in the lime juice.
  4. Snip in the chives, add the mayonnaise, mustard and raisins and stir until everything is just mixed.

Recipe Notes

Will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Nutrition Facts
Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw
Amount Per Serving
Calories 62 Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.9g 3%
Saturated Fat 0.3g 2%
Sodium 68mg 3%
Potassium 231mg 7%
Total Carbohydrates 11.8g 4%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 6.4g
Protein 0.9g 2%
Calcium 23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Other kohlrabi recipes you might like

Sharing

I’m sharing this delectable salad slaw with Katie at Feeding Boys for Simple and In Season.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this kohlrabi carrot slaw, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Recipe for Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw. PIN IT

Kohlrabi Carrot Slaw - a versatile side dish

1. Angie@Angie's Recipes

19th May 2017 at 11:31 am

Simple, quick to prepare and so delicious too!

22nd May 2017 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Angie. It was so good, I’ve been on the look out for kohlrabi ever since 🙂

2. Dom

19th May 2017 at 6:44 pm

This looks so good. I’ve been making quite a bit of coleslaw recently. It’s so lovely with a warm quiche. Love the addition of kohlrabi

22nd May 2017 at 2:40 pm

I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. It’s delicious and goes well with so many things.

19th May 2017 at 8:40 pm

Oh how strange that it won’t grow for you, I grew it years ago and it was no bother. Must be different kind of soil. The slaw looks really tasty

22nd May 2017 at 2:39 pm

I think I’ve tried twice now without much success, though I suspect the 2nd time was because I harvested them too late and they were tough and woody – oops!

4. Kate | Veggie Desserts

22nd May 2017 at 9:46 am

This looks great! It’s definitely one of those veggies that I don’t really know what to do with (not even in a cake!) – but your slaw looks perfect.

22nd May 2017 at 10:12 am

You definitely need to remedy this kohlrabi cake deficiency Kate.

5. Ren Behan

22nd May 2017 at 4:11 pm

I love all kinds of slaws, especially celeriac but I haven’t tried kohlrabi. Delicious.

22nd May 2017 at 8:58 pm

I sort of based this on the French celeriac remoulade. I used to love that when I lived in France.

6. Kavey

22nd May 2017 at 9:35 pm

I remember this hilarious conversation with some friends on a driving trip to France many years ago, we were doing a cross word together during a drive and I shouted the answer to a clue out as kohlrabi but the others insisted I had made it up as they’d never heard of it. It was before mobile phones allowed for easy checking and proof so there was much teasing and me singing kohlrabi for a good few days. Of course I was proved right. And yet I’ve never cooked with it, so I think your kohlrabi coleslaw is a must for me to make, yes? 😀

23rd May 2017 at 1:41 pm

Haha, vindicated. Well done you Kavey. I’m surprised it’s not better known here really. Hope you like the slaw.

7. Sus // roughmeasures.com

23rd May 2017 at 9:36 pm

I must get my hands on some kohlrabi to make this!

24th May 2017 at 8:43 am

Yes indeed. Kohlrabi makes a fantastic slaw – it’s both mild and crisp.

8. Strength and Sunshine

24th May 2017 at 10:32 pm

O I love kohlrabi! It’s one of my essential veggies to always have on hand when it’s in season 🙂

25th May 2017 at 9:54 am

That’s good to hear Rebecca. What do you most like to do with it?

9. Phil in the Kitchen

24th May 2017 at 11:26 pm

Lovely. Kohlrabi is a very adaptable and useful veg but, like you, I’ve had mixed results when trying to grow it myself. The local PYO farm has produced an excellent crop for the last few years, though, and I’m hoping it will again. Sadly, most people didn’t seem interested in picking it.

25th May 2017 at 9:52 am

Oh, that is sad. I don’t think most people know what it is, so lots of recipe development is obviously required. What do you do with it Phil? Recipe needed on your blog.

10. Cindy Swain | Italicana Kitchen

25th May 2017 at 9:17 am

I’ve never heard of Kohlrabi. I’m excited to look for it at the market. Hopefully I can find it here in Italy!

25th May 2017 at 9:47 am

I’m sure they must grow it in Italy Cindy, but do let me know if you find it.

11. Nico @ yumsome

25th May 2017 at 12:18 pm

I love kohlrabi (even if it does sound like a character from Star Trek!), and I love slaw, so this is a definite winner, and one I shall be making once we are settled in in our new home next week (there’s no point me making a batch of mayo until we’ve moved)!

I haven’t had raisins in slaw for yonks – probably since I was at school… you’ve given me a hankering to go retro, and add them! Yummy! xx

29th May 2017 at 8:08 am

Ha, I hadn’t thought about it like that, but you’re absolutely right on both counts. What I remember about school days are sultanas in curries – yuck!

12. Katie Bryson

3rd June 2017 at 4:07 pm

Well everyday’s a school day coz I’d never heard of this vegetable!!!! This looks super tasty and like a great topper for a mushroom and halloumi burger – BBQ season bring it on!!!!! Thanks for joining in with this month’s round of Simple and in Season.

9th June 2017 at 9:50 am

That’s what I love about food blogging Katie – there is so much to learn. Now I’m desperate for a mushroom and halloumi burger 🙂