Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese, Chilli Lime Buttered Corn & More

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese

When I was challenged by Iceland to make a two course meal for under £10, I went one better and created a three course offering instead. Broccoli cauliflower cheese was the main event. This was served with sweet potato fries for colour, contrast and carbs. We started with colourful corn on the cob smothered with zesty chilli lime butter and we finished with a very indulgent chocolate ice-cream. National Vegetarian Week seems like a very good time to showcase it.

My aim was to make a filling, healthy and tasty meal for four people for under £10. As there were only two of us, we had half on the night I made it and the rest the following night. The broccoli cauliflower cheese reheated in the oven perfectly and there were plenty of sweet potato fries to accompany it. The sweetcorn was so good, we rather greedily ate it all the first night, but to make up for this, the ice cream lasted us three nights.

Chilli Lime Corn

Of course, the majority of the meal was frozen food. Frozen food is a great way of preserving the nutrients in food as well as providing us with out of season ingredients that haven’t necessarily been grown on the other side of the world – the #PowerofFrozen. As I stated in my last Iceland post, I was pleasantly surprised to see the range of vegetables on offer when I visited our nearest shop. This time there was no kale, but there were bags of broccoli, corn on the cob and brussels sprouts, cauliflower and mixed broccoli and cauliflower. As you’ve already noted, I decided to go for the latter.

Iceland Frozen Veg

Value for money is a key concept for Iceland and I was astonished once again at just how many good quality items can be bought for £10. As well as the frozen veg, I bought a block of cheddar cheese and some good Irish butter. The most expensive part of the meal was the Ben & Jerry’s chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. CT and I are both suckers for Ben & Jerry’s and a bit of luxury at the end of a meal is no bad thing. The tub I bought had a bonus 50% extra, hence managing to stretch it out over three nights.

Iceland Haul

The only additions I had to provide was a little flour, some milk, spice and a lime. This was easily made up for by the cheese, butter and ice cream left over from making my broccoli cauliflower cheese. I calculated the cost of the meal to be £7.36 plus 64p for the extras making a grand total of £8. Even if you went wild and ate all of the ice-cream, it still comes in under the £10 limit.

• Mini corn cobs (625g) – £1
  • Broccoli and cauliflower florets (900g) – £1
  • Sweet potato fries (700g) – £2
  • Mature cheddar cheese (450g) – £2 (of which 100g was used = 45p)
  • Irish butter (250g) – £1.25 (of which 50g was used = 25p)
  • Ben & Jerry’s ice-cream – £4 (of which ⅔ was used = £2.66)

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream

Fresh ingredients, can, of course, be used instead, but with all the veg ready prepared, it made for a quick and easy meal as well as a delicious one – always a bonus on a week night. The only things I had to make were the cheese sauce and the chilli lime butter, neither of which took very long. The corn was sweet and luscious and the chilli lime butter made a fabulous zesty and punchy contrast. We found the leftover butter was very nice spread on toast. The broccoli cauliflower cheese with my addition of smoked paprika made a nice change from a plain old cauliflower cheese and it went very nicely with the sweet potato fries. The ice cream speaks for itself.

Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese and Chilli Lime Buttered Corn on the Cob

Recipes for broccoli cauliflower cheese & chill lime buttered corn on the cob. Using frozen vegetables makes for a quick and nutritious meal as well as a tasty one.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4
Author: Choclette

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese

• 900 g broccoli and cauliflower florets
  • 25 g salted butter
  • 1 heaped tbsp wholemeal flour
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 600 ml milk
  • 100 g mature cheddar cheese - grated
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Sea salt (optional)

Chilli Lime Buttered Corn on the Cob

• 650 g corn on the cob pieces
  • 25 g salted butter
  • ½ red chilli - seeds removed & finely chopped
  • ½ lime

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese

• Set the oven to 200℃.
  • Butter the bottom and sides of medium sized baking dish.
  • Throw in the florets and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until they are starting to soften.
  • Meanwhile make the cheese sauce.
  • Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and add the smoked paprika and wholemeal flour (you may want to sieve out the larger pieces of bran). Stir and let the mixture bubble for a minute or two. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time to avoid getting any lumps.
  • Allow the sauce to simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring all the time.
  • Take off the heat and add 75g of the cheese along with the pepper. Stir until smooth. If you feel you need to add salt, this is the time to do it.
  • Pour the sauce over the florets and scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
  • Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the florets are tender, the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden.
  • Whilst the broccoli cauliflower cheese is in the oven, prepare and eat the corn on the cob starter.

Chilli Lime Buttered Corn on the Cob

• Bring 600ml water to the boil in a large pan. Throw in the frozen corn, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the corn is just done.
  • Meanwhile cream the butter so it's nice and soft.
  • Finely zest the lime and beat this in with a squeeze of the juice and the red chilli.
  • Drain the corn, place in a serving dish and add as much of the butter as liked.

Notes

Serve broccoli cauliflower cheese with sweet potato fries which can be cooked in the oven at the same time.
Meat Free MondaysThe Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese goes to Jac at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays.

Other vegetarian #PowerofFrozen recipes you might like

I was commissioned by Iceland to create a two course meal using some of their products. I was not expected to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own.

Tags: ,

1. Kate @ Veggie Desserts

17th May 2016 at 5:01 pm

I love how convenient frozen food can be. I really must try the lime on the sweetcorn and the broccoli cauliflower cheese sounds divine – especially with the paprika!

17th May 2016 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Kate. Frozen food can be amazingly convenient Kate – as long as you can get it into the freezer 😉

2. Lucy @ BakingQueen74

17th May 2016 at 8:15 pm

I really must get down to my local Iceland and see what they have, love the sound of both of your veggie dishes which are packed with flavour (and the ice cream too!)

17th May 2016 at 8:40 pm

Ah well yes, it’s hard to say no to good ice cream 😉 Iceland is definitely worth a look. I suspect you might get a lot more choice up there in Surrey.

3. Valentina

17th May 2016 at 8:23 pm

What a great challenge — and you certainly lived up to it! What a delicious meal you’ve created. YUM!

17th May 2016 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Valentina. We really enjoyed it, both nights running 😉

4. Klauss

17th May 2016 at 8:28 pm

This is my kind of food! Especially casserole with broccoli 🙂 delicious and satisfying!

17th May 2016 at 8:43 pm

Yep, I’m with you there Klauss, it’s one of my all time favourites.

5. Rachel Brooks

17th May 2016 at 8:34 pm

Sounds delicious! Glad GWR didn’t manage to derail your meal. Like the idea of smoked paprika in cheese sauce and will look out for the sweet potato chips.

17th May 2016 at 8:45 pm

Ha! I had to cook it all up as soon as we got home as it had all pretty much defrosted. But of course I never did get around to complaining properly to GWR! Sorry to have been such a grump. I’ve got a thing for smoked paprika at the moment, it’s going into all sorts of things.

6. Diana

17th May 2016 at 9:42 pm

You just used all of my favourite ingredients to make a wonderful dish! I love the idea and will be trying this soon! 🙂

18th May 2016 at 8:10 am

Cauliflower cheese is a favourite I grew up with Diana and the chilli and lime with the corn makes for a great combination.

7. Kate | The Veg Space

17th May 2016 at 9:49 pm

Oh my, I want to come to this dinner party! So many of my favourite things – broccoli & cauliflower in a cheesy sauce, chilli lime sweetcorn, sweet potato fries, chocolate ice cream – frozen food heaven!

18th May 2016 at 8:11 am

Haha Kate, a very good way of describing it 🙂

8. Sarah @ Champagne Tastes

17th May 2016 at 10:27 pm

This all looks delicious! I eat mostly vegetarian, and I love how far I can stretch my dollar compared to meaty meals! And well, who doesn’t love Ben and Jerrys lol

18th May 2016 at 8:14 am

I guess, not being a meat eater, I don’t really know how much meat costs, but cauliflower cheese has always been a good and healthy, but cheap meal.

9. Nayna Kanabar

17th May 2016 at 10:31 pm

What a lovely spread, you have indeed created a mini feast on a tight budget.Well done. I love the fact that Iceland stuff is so good value for money.

18th May 2016 at 8:17 am

It’s not often we have a two course meal during the week, never mind a three course one, so this was a real treat. And you’re right Iceland is good value for money.

10. Annemarie @ justalittlebitofbacon

17th May 2016 at 10:42 pm

Frozen foods are a great way to add out of season ingredients to a meal. And this casserole looks both tasty and filling.

18th May 2016 at 8:18 am

I’ve only recently woken up to the fact you could get so many different frozen vegetables, it’s been a bit of a revelation.

11. Jill

17th May 2016 at 11:38 pm

I am in the States so when I first saw Iceland I thought you meant the country, LOL But what a great idea and my whole family would LOVE this meal. I’m not sure what the dollar to pound conversion rate is but this seems like a fantastic deal!

18th May 2016 at 8:20 am

Haha Jill, but I guess there must be quite a lot of frozen food in Iceland the country too 😉

12. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com

18th May 2016 at 12:11 am

This sounds great! I am such a boring broccoli eater and usually just have it steamed or sauteed. I need to get some cheese up in my broccoli business! 🙂

18th May 2016 at 8:22 am

It’s so easy to get into rut with the food we make. I must confess, this is something we eat on a semi-regular basis.

13. Aimee

18th May 2016 at 6:52 pm

Oh my goodness. This looks so unbelievably delicious! What a bonus that it’s easy to prepare and is cost-effective! I may have to try and veganise this because I have a craving for it now…

18th May 2016 at 9:10 pm

I keep meaning to try making a vegan cheese sauce, but like many things, I haven’t got around to it – yet!

14. Jenn

18th May 2016 at 7:01 pm

LOVE frozen veggies for quick meals. That corn with the chile butter sounds delicious!

18th May 2016 at 9:11 pm

Frozen veg sure makes for a quick meal Jenn and that corn was really delicious 🙂

15. Angie@Angie's Recipes

21st May 2016 at 3:57 pm

Everything looks so delicious and healthy as well. I love esp. that cheesy cauliflower/broccoli bake!

22nd May 2016 at 9:42 am

Cauliflower cheese is a standard comfort meal in our house Anglie, but I’ve never made it with broccoli too, before now!

16. Camilla

27th May 2016 at 10:03 am

One of my favourite dishes and so great that it can be made with Iceland ingredients for a great short cut;-)

27th May 2016 at 2:56 pm

Yes indeed Camilla. I never dreamt you could get frozen broccoli nor frozen cauliflower until I came across it in Iceland.

17. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche

27th May 2016 at 11:12 am

Ooh the broccoli and cauliflower cheese looks brilliant, love that you used frozen veg too – so easy 🙂

27th May 2016 at 2:55 pm

Frozen veg just makes everything so easy and sometimes that is just what’s needed.

18. Sarah, Maison Cupcake

27th May 2016 at 10:07 pm

I need another bag of that broccoli cauli mix, it’s wonderful! Love how you’ve done it, really cheesy!

28th May 2016 at 5:18 pm

Thanks Sarah. I love my fresh veg, but having things like frozen broccoli and cauliflower florets on standby is a real boon.

19. Claire @foodiequine

29th May 2016 at 9:22 pm

I don’t know how I’d manage without my freezer. Its stuffed full with fab goodies from Iceland at the moment including those sweet potato fries.

29th May 2016 at 9:25 pm

Those sweet potato fries are rather addictive Claire!

20. Grace @ Eats Amazing

29th May 2016 at 9:25 pm

I’m very impressed that you came so far under budget and still managed a 3 course meal! The broccoli cauliflower cheese sounds so delicious!

30th May 2016 at 10:45 am

Thanks Grace. I was quite surprised at just how much I could buy at Iceland for £10.

21. Kerry @ Kerry Cooks

30th May 2016 at 5:34 pm

Inspired menu lady! Must give the chilli lime butter corn on the cob a go! There’s really no improving on chocolate fudge brownie Ben and Jerry’s either – best ice cream ever!

30th May 2016 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Kerry. I’ve become a bit addicted to the chilli lime butter. As for the B&J ice-cream …

22. Lucy Parissi

30th May 2016 at 7:10 pm

I think you have caught me at a particularly hungry moment because all I can think of now is cauliflower cheese…. I am drooling. Making notes for next grocery shopping list!

30th May 2016 at 8:13 pm

Never a good idea to look at food blogs when you’re hungry – a mistake I make far too often 😉

23. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

1st June 2016 at 5:40 pm

I haven’t had broccoli and cauliflower cheese in too long – using frozen veg will make it so much easier.

2nd June 2016 at 4:35 pm

It certainly speeds up the process. It’s one of my favourite comfort foods – well cauliflower cheese is anyway. This was the first time I’ve done it with broccoli too.

24. Andrea @ The Petite Cook

8th June 2016 at 2:00 pm

I LOVE how convenient and handy frozen food can be. The cauliflower and broccoli cheese sounds delicious, but you got me with the chili lime buttered corn on the cob, I could eat it for the whole summer!

8th June 2016 at 3:42 pm

Yes, it can make life an awful lot easier. Reckon I could eat that chilli lime buttered corn every day too – it’s gorgeous.