Rhubarb & Orange Chocolate Cake
Since I started this blog, my friends seem to have had a lot of “significant” birthdays. Is this just a weird coincidence or is it because I’m more aware of these things now I’m doing my blog and always seem to have cakes on the brain – rhetorical question! Last year we went to a 30th, a 40th, a 50th, a 60th and a 70th birthday party – I thought that was rather unusual. A couple of weeks ago, we were off to the 2nd 60th birthday party this year. Part of the celebrations included painting a mural on a barn wall – what a lovely idea! Unfortunately, the rather wet weather we experienced prevented this happening. I suspected the planned bbq wouldn’t be going ahead either and to be honest it wasn’t a rip roaring success. Luckily there was still plenty of delicious food to be had in the house. So, with some rhubarb to use up, another rhubarb and chocolate cake is what I made. This time my inspiration came from the orange and strawberry cake that I made last year.
- Melted 100g dark orange spicy chocolate.
- Creamed 175g unsalted butter with 200g dark brown sugar.
- Beat in 3 duck eggs, the chocolate and the grated zest of one orange.
- Sifted in 225g flour (100g wholemeal, 100g white 25g quinoa), 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda, 1 tbsp cocoa and a pinch of salt.
- Mixed together along with 50g water and 100g Greek yogurt.
- Divided mixture between 2 x 21 cm sandwich thingies and baked at 180C for 30 mins.
- Stewed 700g of cleaned and chopped rhubarb with 2 tbsp of water until most of the water had evaporated and the mixture was thickish. Left to cool.
- Added 1 tbsp orange liqueur.
- Whipped 250ml double cream into peaks, then folded into rhubarb mixture.
- Sandwiched the cakes with the cream (I did have a substantial amount left over which we had over the following couple of days with strawberries – yum), then dusted the top of the cake with icing sugar.